Generations & Reveal the Shield

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by typev3, Nov 23, 2010.

1. typev3

typev3 @VinceSanchez

Can someone clarify for me if these two toy lines are separate, or does Generations eventually roll into Reveal the Shield? I haven't really kept up with the news for a bit and I'm just a bit confused.

2. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    HFTD becomes Reveal the Shield. Generations stays separate.

3. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Generations is a toyline.

Reveal the Shield is a promotion within the yellow box "Transformers" line, much like NEST was for the RotF line and HtfD was for the yellow box line.

4. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Beardy Boyo!

Ebay:
    Anybody know if theres plans for generations to continue along with reveal the shield next year or has it finished its glorious run?

5. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    generations is suppose to apparantly keep going along side the movie line, so i am thinking RTS becomes the DOTM line

6. ExVeeBrawn

ExVeeBrawn Three dollar Nazi

News Credits:
    Generations is a way for Hasbro to increase the amount of total product they can push out to retailers. Just in the last two weeks, seven new Deluxe figures entered distribution because the stores are buying cases of Generations and the main "Transformers" lines simultaneously. Even packing a case solid with only new figures that would basically never happen with a single branding in operation. (being that Deluxe cases have eight toys) They might also be hoping that this will carry on while the "main" line shifts to the third movie toys if stores are already used to keeping up two separate series. Then Generations can still bring along non-movie, probably Classics stuff. Though I'd assume the utter concentration would go down at that point.

Basically, Hasbro's using awesome cheat codes to double the amount of basically same kind of product they can get out at one time, and it works because Transformers are so awesome right now. Don't get hung up on branding distinctions and just enjoy the plenty while you can. :) 

7. typev3

typev3 @VinceSanchez

Thanks for the awesome feedback guys! It's great to be part of a community that doesn't immediately bash me because I'm not caught up in news (I'm looking at you neogaf).

8. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

They all match, so it doesn't matter.

9. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the best bit about it is that it means the UK should still get some new classics moulds since we're no longer getting generations (I say should, I know what Hasbro are like, we rarely see any new toys between December and June)

10. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    its like Classics and Movie-Generations is like the new Classics, right? or something like that...

11. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    It seems like Generations is the home to the more obscure characters who've not had a tremendous amount of love / homages in the past, while Reveal the Shield focuses on major characters and guys who've been featured in various shows recently.

At least, looking at how Generations gets Kup, Thunderwing, Skullgrin and Straxus while Reveal the Shield gets Jazz, Optimus and Wreck-Gar it certainly feels that way.

Not that it matters much. They are all going with my Classics.

12. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Wreck-Gar is less obscure than Kup?

13. ExVeeBrawn

ExVeeBrawn Three dollar Nazi

News Credits:
    Given we saw stock photos of most or all the RTS toys with tampoed faction symbols and no rubsigns at some point along the way, I'd more say it's a crap shoot who goes where. It makes sense to put lesser known characters in what is technically the subline, but then Tracks, Mindset and Out/Fallback don't necessarily support the pattern either.

I've expressed this in other outlets, but Hasbro doesn't see the same distinctions we do. What goes where could be as simple as what spaces are open in what packaging at the time such and such toys are expected to roll out of the assembly line. Don't read in too much unless Hasbro actually makes a statement about how they perceive the distinctions.

14. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Debatable. Wreck-Gar was in Animated so he's arguably higher-profile of late. I could go either way, myself.

15. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    This is my thinking. I don't care what the line is called; it's all Classics in the big scheme of things.

16. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The way I see it, Hasbro knows that historically the movie lines (while a new movie is actually in season) capture ALL retailer interest, so they can't count on keeping another line going at the same time, and with TF: Prime toys in the hopper for shortly after the third movie's stuff, Hasbro probably knows it might be a while until the next 'classics' line resurgence (longer than the gap between Universe & Generations anyway), so they decided to get more Classics-themed toys out than usual (because they love us. :)  ) in the available time, and 'put one over' on the retailers by putting out two lines side-by-side which are practically the same thing.

17. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

Actually, come to think of it, wouldn't they want to put big-ticket characters like Optimus in Generations, considering how long they want the line to run? Curious.

18. dasaffe

dasaffe Morrissey Fan

No, because not every retailer carried Generations, while every retailer who carries Transformers (Walgreen's, etc.) carries Yellow Box (RTS, etc.). So you want your main characters in the "main" line.

19. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Speaking of Reveal the Shield..... Was Wreck-Gar even an Autobot?

I mean the Junkions were allies but if they weren't actual Autobots what's to reveal?

Not to mention I haven't seen and decals on any of his pictures either so whats up with that?

20. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:

It's more for marketing reasons than anything. Shopper (not necessarily hardcore fan) sees Autobot/Decepticon symbol on packaging, and they go "Oh, a Transformer!"

They did the same thing for Unicron and Animated Lockdown's toys, even though in the cartoons/comics they're always portrayed as never being part of any faction.