Generations Perceptor?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Optimus_Jenova, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Seriously?

What he said. Insisting your opinion is the only possible reality isn't a great way to discuss something.

As for the subject...I wouldn't mind a microscope mode, but the 'bot mode looks like Perceptor so I'm good with it and can't wait for him to arrive once I ship my PoL.

2. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

I loved G1 Perceptor as a microscope. I really like the look of Classics Perceptor as a bizarre half-track, it's unique and different. I don't think an altered alt-mode can be extrapolated out to silly generalizations like "kids today are so dumb." Sheesh... the design team, for whatever reason, opted to try something different. Maybe it was to give us an alt-mode we haven't seen much before. Maybe it was to make him to scale with the other car-bots. Maybe microscope lenses, even cheap ones, are too costly to include in a twelve-dollar toy. Who knows? Jeez, we had a microscope-mode Transformer just two years ago, (albeit a badly-engineered one that broke frequently). Clearly the designers aren't opposed to the idea. Why read so much into this particular choice?

Heck, if you're really curious what was going through their heads, submit the question at the next Hasbro Q&A, or ask it at the Botcon panel. It's totally fine to dislike the design choice, but it seems a little unfair to just make unfounded assumptions about it.

EDIT: Oh, one more thing... this Perceptor was probably partly an homage to Animated Perceptor, who turned into a truck as well. Why did Animated Perceptor turn into a truck? Because there was no obvious mass-shifting in Animated. You could argue that kids in the 80's were dumb because they accepted the ridiculous idea of mass-shifting in their cartoons but, again, that would be an unfair generalization.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  3. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    I've never liked the object transformers. Perceptor and Megatron just have stupid alt modes in my opinion.

I LOVE this Perceptor and have been hoping to find him in stores very soon. That half track (it's a real vehicle) is often used for scientific endeavors. It just suits him to me. I love it.

Same thing with Megatron. I like my Megatrons as tanks. It gives him the mass to be big, allows him to be independent, and the primary feature of him is a big arse gun.

But I fully admit my opinion may not be shared by others. For me, this is the only Perceptor I'm tempted to own.

Also kids are dumb regardless of the era. They were dumb 200 years ago and will be just as dumb 2,000 years from now.

4. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hasbro won't make Perceptor a microscope anymore because they've done away with mass-shifting. They don't want a fifty-foot robot transforming into a desktop appliance. Scalpel and Ejector made it through because their robot modes were the same size as their alt modes.

I personally don't care for the half-track because I don't think it fits Perceptor (or Reflector either, for that matter). It might be a great toy, but it's matched up with ill-suited characters, in my opinion. I thought they should have made Perceptor a telescope, one of those nice massive observatory telescopes that would be roughly the same size and mass as his robot mode, since that seems to be all-important these days.

5. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree but I wouldn't put it quite like that. I think Preceptor being a microscope brought more to his character, it made sense and still does to me that a robot scientist would want to turn into a microscope. His new mold while I don't hate does not say science bot here it looks more like a modified Humvee and that seems more like a warrior bot.

My nephew loves my G1 Megatron & Masterpiece Grimlock and always asks if he can have one when he grows up so to add to your stupid kids want list is Guns & Dinosaurs.

6. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Were they ever? :rolleyes: 

7. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Lol..

I´m 24 and I think a microscope alt mode is stupid. Now what? Cars and tanks make for more interesting altmodes.

8. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    All I will say about this is WAY OUT OF LINE and TOTALLY UNCALLED FOR. I don't know how old you are but you just made a 19 year old make you look like a 2 year old having a tantrum. Good job buddy.

On Topic. I'm not hung up on Perceptor being a Microscope. First off, the fact that an exploration vehicle turns into a copy of Microscope Perceptor's bot mode is mind blowing.

Second the alt mode fits..it is used (well from when I've seen it used) as a Artic Exploration Vehicle for scientific purposes. TOTALLY FITS. And if you want to see one in action I am pretty sure they are in the opening sequence to National Treasure.

9. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i understand the logic here and i semi agree, then i think of rotf ejector.
    its a toaster....lol

ps. i like microscopes and i think it would be cool if he were still a microscope, however the fact that a hasbor version has chrome, makes me very happy :) 
    so it could b a kite, but with chrome, it rocks :) 

10. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hasbro is just doing what they think will sell best. It's pretty absurd to think that the form of a toy has any correlation to the intelligence of the person buying it. By that logic, Hasbro should design particle accelerator figures to really help motivate our youth.

Also, kids are not getting dumber. Rather, successive generations lose and acquire new skill sets. I don't know how to hunt, gather or farm, but I'm real good at AutoCAD as it pertains to architecture.

11. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    WIN!!!

12. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I think his comment was him being sarcastic. His point being, if kids liked a microscope at one point, why wouldn't they now?

When I was a kid I wanted Perceptor because I thought it was cool that he turned into a "working" microscope.

13. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

I don't mind that he's not a microscope and I'm aware that half tracks are real vehicles but the design Hasbro used just looks ugly, it's like they started with a regular SUV then changed their minds halfway through development and made it more "military" only they didn't bother to redo the front half.

14. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Perceptor can now get around in his alternate mode. Good for him.

He's grown as a character. After all this time fighting, for all the good he's done in the lab, it hasn't brought the war any closer to an end. He's realized its time that even he has to get out in the thick of it and murder some fools and he's upgraded himself thusly to do just that.

15. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not many 'bots can claim the ability to fight and do science at the same time.

16. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Perceptor sciences you in the FACE.

BTW the microscope alt mode, and all the weird alt modes, were just a result of cobbling together a much of "robot into thing" toylines in the first place. It has nothing to do with a child's interest in science. As a former child who is now DOING science, I'll point out that most toy microscopes aren't very fun anyway, and Perceptor is no exception. (It's 1:1 magnification, any kid can notice that a magnifying glass is better.)

17. Ganjibal Vendef

Ganjibal Vendef Well-Known Member

Everyone is complaining about not having a Microscope alt mode. You know instead of a halftrack he could have been a satilite to stick with the theme rather than a direct update of a microscope that also turns into a vague tank-like vehicle. But then again every single transformer that has transformed into a satilite has really sucked. The important thing is while the alt mode of Generations Perceptor is different the bot mode is really spot on and a really good update of the original.

Mind you the Percepter re-issues was released in Universe 2.0 and can still be aquired in most TRUs for half the original price of the re-issues(hell it's even cheaper than when the original was released in the 1980's if it's still on sale).

18. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Hell I would've preferred a strictly tank mode taking more cues from his G1 "tank" mode. At least then we could've got like a halfway microscope mode for the people that wanted it (like Tracks' flight mode).

19. Ganjibal Vendef

Ganjibal Vendef Well-Known Member

I think they feared with Too Much The Same with the alt mode. we Allready have Megatron, Skullgrin and Darkmount for tanks, and we're getting another tank with Generations Warpath. A few of the RTS figures also had tank modes that were repaints from HFTD like Breacher.

20. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Total Randomness Personified

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Wow, my thoughts are pretty much like everyone else's. I dig the new mode for Perceptor and heck with some fiddling you could have some sort of half-assed microscope. LOL But anyways he'll always be microscope, but its time for a change. And besides some of us are customizers so we could make our own Perceptor if we wanted to.