Generations Perceptor?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Optimus_Jenova, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Optimus_Jenova

Optimus_Jenova Member

I understand why Megatron really can't be a gun anymore, with how the world is. But seeing Perceptor, why can't he still be a microscope? Hasbro/Takara dropped the ball on this one.

His microscope mode can be 1:1 scale with a real one, so voyager class atleast. And come with little slides of science things on them. A working microscope + transformer. They could even claim it as an educational toy, since it'll work like a real scope!

2. Mr.ToyFan

Mr.ToyFan Well-Known Member

All I know is that I can't wait to get 'em!!!

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    It's simple, kid's aren't interested in microscopes anymore. Plus, it makes for a great nod to Animated Perceptor's alt-mode. While I don't plan on getting the figure, I do really like his alt-mode, and think it suits him well. It allows him to be able to work out in the field, without needing the assistance of another bot.

4. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    This.

5. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    a microscope is a stupid alt mode, and no kid is gonna want a damn microscope, even if it transforms. Take two transformers, one turns into a truck and one turns into a microscope, which would a kid want to play with? the damn truck

perceptor's new alt mode is perfect, there was no need for a microscope, and the whole premise of classics/universe 2.0/generations/reveal the shield is to update classic characters, and giving perceptor a useful alt mode, is a great thing to update

6. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I undertand why they don't want to make it a microscope, but the alt mode is just flat out bad IMO. Make it a truck, make it a tank...but the halftrack with an SUV front end looks ridiculous. I'd have been happier witha full out tank for Perceptor than what they came up with. The robot mode looks decent and that's where mine will be most of the time.

7. Vexxet

Vexxet Autocon

yeah i guess you may be right. when we were kids we liked different types of transformers. kids now a days are stupid and just want trucks cars jets and tanks.

8. Duximus Prime

Duximus Prime Chronomancer

Ebay:
    ^This. I feel that, at least in CHUG, there isn't enough variety in the broad alt. mode categories these days due to Hasbro trying to make them either more realistic and/or (misguidedly) more appealing to kids. Honestly, I always found the unorthodox alt mode figures like Soundwave, Perceptor, Reflector, and Shockwave to be more interesting than the run-of-the-mill vehicles.

Classics 1.0, in addition to the varied cars and jets, did a good job by including pistol Megatron and a vaguely saurian Grimlock.

9. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This type of vehicle actually exists in real life. Probably more often for Arctic research excursions, but I'm sure they're applicable elsewhere. The treads are for traction on difficult terrain, but the vehicles still handle roughly like a truck. Hasbro/Takara didn't just invent it out of thin air.

10. guard convoy

News Credits:
    what a stupid statement to make:Kids today aren't any dumber than kids of yesterday, in fact, with that logic, kids of yesterday were stupid for liking toys that could only move their arms

a microscope was ALWAYS a stupid alt mode, it was stupid in 1985 and it is stupid today, just because kids want a cool car instead of a lame science tool doesn't make them stupid

i, as a 19 year old, fall into the tail end of the category of "kids of today". i grew up with beast wars, armada, animated, and all of that, am i stupid for liking a truck over a microscope?

and we ARE getting a variety in alt modes: IN THE PAST TWO YEARS WE GOT ANOTHER MICROSCOPE AND A TOASTER! talk about variety, we also got a damn garbage truck!

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    The more I've given thought to the alt mode is the more I think it's highly appropriate. I'm pretty excited about getting mine :) 

12. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

I'm fine with his half-track exploration vehicle mode, there's enough 'scientific' alibi in that mode to keep me happy.

Also, halftracks are funny.

[​IMG]

13. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Realistically, like others have said a microscope alt mode just doesnt work anymore. And it didnt really work back in the 80's either.

In fact a G1 episode was just on tv the other day where Perceptor (and a few others) went through some sort of gate and Perceptor got stuck as a microscope flying through space to crash land on a planet still stuck as a microscope. Really? Pretty dam lame if you ask me.

At least if he had this updated mode he could have driven off once he crashlanded on the planet (assuming, you know he survived the entry through the atmosphere and the collision with the planet's surface and... oh right right, cartoon, sorry).

The bike front wheel is probably the funniest thing about that thing. I guess it's to prevent the whole thing from toppling over on top of the driver if it went through a ditch or something? It sure the h*ll isnt there to steer the thing.

14. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    As much as I wouldn't mind a microscope, it just isn't that "bad ass", even if he is a scientist. Almost reminds me of the family guy episode where they get super powers and Meg gets the ability to grow her nails.

I still do want a proper Soundwave at some point though (and no, ML Soundwave is not good enough for me......neither is WFC).

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I actually really like that the G1 Perceptor was a microscope. I also like TFs having unique alt modes. The more unique alt modes can be done well, but also should be done sparingly.

As far as Perceptor goes, he doesn't need to be "bad@$$". I like the variety of having some TFs just being flat out nerds (and other personae) sometimes.

That being said, I think that this half-track alt mode really converges everything discussed here, and that's why I'm liking it all the more :) 

16. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I don't see it as that big of a stretch considering the original
    Had tank treads

17. Vexxet

Vexxet Autocon

thats your opinion, and its wrong. Kids are stupid today because we cater to them. When I was a kid I actually tried to use my brain to appeal to adults around me and I thirsted for knowledge. Now a days kids are thrown in front of TVs and left on their own and live on facebook/myspace, learn to goof off and waste time.

Im sorry you get your jollies off on tank/jet/plane/car number 43554645645 but people with intellegence appreciate a more broad scale of enginuity. Im sorry you cant understand this, but what do I expect Im talking to a 19 year old.

18. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This statement is wrong.

Don't claim the opinions of others are wrong, man. You can disagree with them, sure, but don't flat out refuse to accept them as anything resembling truth.

It won't win you many friends.

19. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I personally don't think it's about Hasbro completely disregarding the more odd-ball alt-modes. We got Scalpel and Ejector in the movie line, and those two didn't exactly shelf-warm.

The deal is that they're actively trying to avoid the mass-shifting problems of the original characters, which is just plain outdated and silly, a result of trying to shoehorn a bunch of unrelated toylines together. Now that they're designing things from the ground up, without those constraints, they're trying to have it make at least some sense.

We're still not going to get proper scale, of course, for practical reasons. But nothing so stupid as to convert a 20 foot, 5 ton robot into a desktop microscope. It's stupid because kids are intelligent, and are prone to going "WTF?" over that sort of blatant disregard for the laws of physics, or at the very least, some sense of practicality.

20. guard convoy

News Credits:
    i love how you can judge someone on a message board about children's toys without even knowing who i am. i like transforming jets for two reasons:I love aircraft, and i love all the types of aircraft done up as transformers. I also love the enginuity that goes into them to make them as slim as possible, terradive is a favorite because the engineering that went into him.

i love how just because i am 19 years old you think of me as some stupid lazy kid. I work, not to just buy transformers, to help my parents out when they need it. I don't waste time, i make sure i take care of my responsibilites.

i love g1 perceptor, as a novelty, it is a neat toy, but compared to say alternator rodimus, it can't hold a candle to it