Generations Overlord - How to create it?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by unicronic, Jul 17, 2012.

1. unicronic

unicronic TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    To preface this, it's clear that Hasbro are trying hard to please as many fans as possible - but as we all have our own taste we as a community are going to disagree with or dislike some decisions.

We've got Bruticus incoming, Grimlock and now a decent effort at The Wreckers. That got me thinking, maybe Overlord will be in the future for Generations. Who knows.

Firstly any new Overlord wouldn't be a base former that's just highly unlikely to happy. The largest size we would likely get would be Voyager.

Overlord, the original, was 2 vehicles which combined to create the bot (I know there was much more to it than this). This, currently, is a rarely used (when was it last used at all?) concept.

Would we be ok if a voyager set of a tank and jet was released in a nod to the original? Or if not what would work? Just a tank, just a jet? Something entirely new?

I'm wondering if sticking with the Cybertronian motif might be the easiest way to pull off something that combined the best elements of aerial and land domination.

How would you approach Overlord as a new Generations figure?

2. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Ideally i would do the first ever American release of the G1 Mold.

More realistically i would do a proper leader class figure of it consisting of both vehicles. and maybe the godmasters.

3. unicronic

unicronic TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    That won't happen.

Anyone got a realistic suggestion?

4. T4mercustomz

T4mercustomz Genus time! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well they tried there best in the botcon 2012 set taking the carecter in a new way. while it would be nice for a leader or supreme class overlord this will probably never happen. Hasbro Has done some surpriseing characters but there's just no way to approach him in a way that will make the fan base happy and cut cost.

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Honestly if they can't do him properly id rather they did not do him at all.

Overlord is one of those characters whoin my opinion really needs his trademark look.

it has to be more than just his color scheme.

The botcon figure for me is an epic fail.

6. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    If he was anything less than an Ultra class, I would probably still get it, but not approve.

7. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    Well at least the colors are accurate on Giga Tank. :D 

I'm looking at Leader Class really...

8. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    I doubt it would be anything remotely like what's being suggested. Overlord is relevant only to fans, and unless he gets a major, marketed appearance in a movie or game (unlikely, because a big marketing push featuring him would have the not-we scratching their heads and saying "whatever") then you certainly can't expect them to do anything extraordinary.

If we get one we're much more likely to get a voyager/deluxe tank OR jet figure that emulates one of his vehicle modes, with a focus on an accurate robot mode.

If you're very lucky, and Hasbro has gone utterly insane, a voyager toy made of two smaller vehicles might be within the realms of acceptable bussiness decisions.

Obviously a voyager would be preferable being the bigger end of Hasbro's current scales, and the two vehicles combining could make for a decent advertising gimmick on the box. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that it could be done, but honestly I think we'll be lucky if we even see a deluxe based on his design.

9. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

If we're having figures combined from two vehicles, I want Flywheels first.

10. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think overlord would be more likely due to recent exposure from LSOTW and the US Masterforce DVD release.

it would need to be a new mould and be an update of the original concept to please me ultimately.

tank with the same concept of transformation as Armada Tidalwave's legs and if the same connection method is used as the combiners there would be cross compatibillity.

Megajet would need to be ultra sized.

11. TwilightNero

TwilightNero Maximal

Ebay:
    The way I could see it being done would be in a similar style of the energon autobots.

A male tankformer and a female jetformer, both that have a vehicle mode and a robot mode, but with connection ports to form Overlord.

12. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

Just repaint Universe Skyfall and call it a day.

13. JokerFC

JokerFC Gaelic Hardcase

Ebay:
    100% agreed.no interest in that figure whatsoever and I love Overlord.

14. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    I recalled a custom done up by Sabrina_Ng awhile back. That's an interesting Overlord. :) 

You might change your mindset if FP releases a figure that forms some extra parts, armor that helps bulk up Botcon Gigatron. ;) 

15. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I don't think we'll get a good Overlord figure from Hasbro.

You never know though, they might repaint FOC Bruticus again and just call it Overlord, it seemed to get enough people excited for the "Wreckers".

16. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

^ Hahaha.

I'm so tempted to paint a PRID Bumblebee blue and white and call it Overlord.

17. gtf316

gtf316 Bad hair day

Ebay:
    HiveDrive frontrunner already :) 

18. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

I'd probably prefer a Voyager-sized triple changer that goes from tank to starship to robot.

Similar to how I'd love a Deluxe Blitzwing so they could repaint him into Slamdance. That would be awesome.

19. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    probably still not. don't get me wrong I loved the mold as bludgeon and banzaitron, even the upcoming g2 megs looks great. gigatron just looks akward and not meant for that mold.

like others are saying, leader sized or larger would be my ideal want. 2 voyager or ultra sized tank/plane combining to make overlord. the godmasters would be a nice perk, but I think that's a longshot since they haven't even ventured into headmasters territory within classics, outside of a few targetmasters.

20. depthcharge82

depthcharge82 Maximal

Overlord could be done in the Cyberverse line. I know people wouldn't like the idea but you already got the tank (guzzle) plus you would be able to do a base.