Generations or Titans Return Brainstorm?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cavadus, Dec 2, 2016.

1. geekatron prime

geekatron prime The Grammar Police must be on strike.

News Credits:
    Yeah, but try explaining that to the wife when she asks:" Why is there a 30 foot tall robot in the front yard?"

2. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

Because a gallon and a pint are not identical units of measurement.

That doesn't in any way relate to cars and spaceships. Incidentally, there ARE spaceships that are smaller than cars in Real Life.

3. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

Oh man, thank you for bringing me back to reality! I was just jealous that other people visited Cybertron and saw Cybertronian spaceships/jets smaller than cars. It's surprising how some people are so literal are able to collect little machines that can transform, combine with each other and mass shift to turn into something else.

4. sideswipe29

sideswipe29 Collect what makes you happy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I bought the TR Brainstorm for my Lost Light collection. I would have liked to get the Voyager but the Deluxe fits the scale better. It really depends on what you want it for. Hope you find a good deal on the SDCC version. I would have wanted one but wasn't willing to pay the ridiculous prices.

5. SparkPlug24

SparkPlug24 Named after the Mini-con, not the Witwicky.

I finally got my hands on Voyager Brainstorm earlier this year from a local comic shop after missing him on sale at Toys R Us. He dwarfs deluxes like Skids or Trailbreaker, but I like to rationalize his height by looking at the way Alex Milne draws him in establishing shots: big and full of detail.[​IMG]

Still, it's a Goldilocks sort of problem. Voyager Brainstorm is maybe 10% taller than he should be (tall, but not exactly Springer tall), while the newer Deluxe stands a head short for my taste (so that he isn't shoulder-to-shoulder with most deluxes). Scale is never the way we want it to be, is it?

6. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    The voyager has the nicer body and TR the nicer head. I prefer the deluxe class.

7. geekatron prime

geekatron prime The Grammar Police must be on strike.

News Credits:
    I like them both for what they are. A good representation of idw and g1.

8. Large

Large Currently blablabla

News Credits:
    Like everybody wrote, the Voyager feels more like a Milne's design figure (and that's very cool).
    On the other hand, TR Brainstorm is probably my favorite toy this year.
    And I write "this year" but you could read it as "this last few years", perhaps.

So there's that.

9. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    deluxe...he scales better with everything from his other headmaster partners to a lost light crew.

the voyager looks great and was fun but he was just way too big no matter where you put him unless it was with some mps as a stand in.

if you do get the deluxe i recommend getting this from shapeways: Notorious Weaponmaster's Kibble by SteamShield on Shapeways

it helps to mount his front weapon on his back idw style. you can leave the piece on while transforming which is nice but the front still has to be parts formed.

and for some extra accessories this is another fun shapeways item to have: Briefcase for Voyager Brainstorm by fakebusker83 on Shapeways

i have both items and they really look great with the deluxe

• Like Like x 1
  10. allew

allew Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you are displaying him with the other TR Headmasters you might as well get Walgreens Brainstorm. For me, I have TR Chromedome and Generations Brainstorm displayed with two 3rd party figures - Fansproject Browning (Highbrow) and Toyworld Hardbone (Hardhead), though not accurate to the cartoons I like the size differences.

11. Cavadus

Cavadus Well-Known Member

Saw the ridiculous SDCC prices and passed. A Walgreens near me was having a 40% off sale plus my rewards card was another good chunk off. Got him for a little over eight bucks.

I have a purely Generations collection aside from Optimus and Megatron which are MakeToys Cross Dimension (and they fit in perfectly).

Awesome figure! Wish he was IDW colored but oh well.

Will definitely check out this accessories, optimusmegas.

12. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    Voyager Brainstorm all the way for me. I like the IDW look and like to see him tower over Chromedome. Head cross-compatibility is not an issue for me.

I'm mainly into Titans Return for more Decepticons and more weapons anyway, so skipping Deluxe Brainstorm was easy.

13. Starling

Starling Well-Known Member

DSC_0916.JPG DSC_0917.JPG

14. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have both also (with the TR being the second release with the G1 box and face).

I enjoy both fairly equally for what each is about.

Between the two, if I had to choose, the Generation Voyager would win though... it's a fantastic mold, ahead of it's time with excellent articulation and just the overall presence of it, including his size feels "right".

But in my head cannon, TR is before he gets upgraded.

And dang, no pictures of the two yet.. I better fix that:
    DSC03309.JPG DSC03310.JPG DSC03311.JPG DSC03312.JPG DSC03313.JPG DSC03314.JPG DSC03315.JPG DSC03316.JPG DSC03317.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  15. transmasterc

transmasterc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am going with the Titans Return. I have the Generations one. Just think the TR version is a lot better.

16. Seeker of seekers

Seeker of seekers Well-Known Member

Wanna IDW Brainstorm - buy Thrilling 30.
    Wanna G1 Rebirth/Headmasters. Brainstorm - buy TR or Takara version of it.
    I personally don't satisfied enough with both and probably will wait his new figure which would be released someday.

17. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Deluxe simply because he scales with the rest of the headmasters. Unfortunately i only managed to score the walmart reissue with the face as i prefer the mouthplate look.
    Voyager is good but its hard for me to compare him to sandstorm and spinger who are such superb figures, the same price point and in same line.

18. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    The voyager is closer to IDW, so clearly the TR one is better.

19. TheAmazingBrave

TheAmazingBrave 吾輩は猫である!!!

There isn't a perfect Brainstorm for me because each one that's come out has something that soils it for me, but would have made the other one even better.
    T30 has the right colors and the best jet mode, but he's too big, the cockpit window isn't orange, and the headmaster is outdated.
    Titans Return one has the orange cockpit and better headmaster, but the vehicle is just a modified Blurr, and the blue they used is too green for my taste.
    The SDCC has a better blue, but again, the windshield isn't orange.
    Legends Brainstorm with the IDW style headmaster is almost perfect, if not for the black wings. And the last domestic one we got only had the anime-accurate head, and was also too green.
    It's always a case of "If only one of them had what that other one had". Parts-swapping would probably fix that, but I'm not about pay triple or quadruple what one by itself would cost just to get the right colors, and the vehicle mode is still not ideal. I just can't win.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2023