Minor/Repaint: Generations Nightbeat upgrades (Shapeways)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by johnbonhamatron, Aug 24, 2014.

1. johnbonhamatron

johnbonhamatron RIP

News Credits:
    I take it you approve? ;) 

My thought process was simple: Universe Onslaught is awesome, and his alt mode is hauntingly similar to Soundwave's current alt mode in The-Comic-Formerly-Known-As-RiD.

Annnnnnd, if the rumours come to fruition, he's going to be replaced this year by a new Combiner Wars Onslaught, so quite a few people might have a spare Onslaught knocking about. Therefore, three ideas popped into my head, for what to do with the figure (since I saw one dirt cheap on eBay and went "MUST. HAVE."):

1/ Turn him into Comics Soundwave.

2/ Turn him into Strika.

3/ Build Combiner adaptors for him so he can replace Combiner Wars Onslaught (if he does happen), to make the rumoured new Bruticus even bigger.

Basically, since I couldn't decide which idea was more awesome, I've decided to have a crack at all three... :p 

2. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

So you just reversed the transformation mechanism. in instead of out and vice-versa? Genius.

3. johnbonhamatron

johnbonhamatron RIP

News Credits:
    Heh, thanks, and more or less, aye. The chest still slides up the torso, exactly as with the stock figure, with the neck joint sliding out to stick the head right in that massive gap behind the front bumper, that's almost tailor-made for some pleb like me to come in and do what I did. heh

4. seali_me

did the same thing. Thanks for the inspiration. :) 

Also I see there's a hole on the sides to accommodate for the arms/hands. Nicely engineered man. :) 

5. johnbonhamatron

johnbonhamatron RIP

News Credits:
    Thanks very much. :D 

6. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Lord High Governor

News Credits:
    This was an excellent idea, and it really makes the figure look much more like him.

7. Meister5

Meister5 Lost Light-er

News Credits:
    I want to see that :D 

8. johnbonhamatron

johnbonhamatron RIP

News Credits:
    Thanks very much! :D 

As with pretty much every project I do, it usually comes down to: "Why don't I have a perfect xxxx in my collection? Imma make one!" :p 

Strika rules. Having nothing but waify fembots gets really boring, I want my Russian-shotputter-bot!

Well, even though I won't be having that figure as Strika in my collection, of course. I could, though, if I wanted. Plus, of course, if the rumours are true, a lot of people might end up with a spare Onslaught this year, so there's loads of opportunity to do something with the big beefy bugger. Doing multiple kits with the same basic engineering worked out rather well for the Nightbeat chestplates, so yeah (and yes, that does mean that if anyone has a dream character they'd like to see Onslaught turned into, they should totally let me know)... :p 

9. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Would be great to see...

How about turning him into Bonaparte Tulcas...or...Impac
    Impactor...

10. seali_me

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any chance on seeing this put together and painted?

11. xKAINxCAINx

xKAINxCAINx Goonies Never Die!

Someone had their figure with this upgrade for sale on ebay and I bought it. I love how it looks but the chest barely stays on. Is it meant to just be put on and used lightly for display? I was hoping it was an upgrade that stays on by friction

12. johnbonhamatron

johnbonhamatron RIP

News Credits:
    Apologies for these reeeeeeeeeeally late replies, but I got engrossed doing add-ons for Prime, and completely missed these! :eek: 

So, give him cannons for a face, then? :p 

Alas, I've got that Bumblebee earmarked for Siren, but... Hellscream85 has done this, and made it look awesome. :D 

There's a couple of ways to give it a more secure connection, actually. You can either thicken up the trapezoidal peg (using superglue, nail polish, etc) at the bottom, on the back, so that it grips the little hole in the chest more securely, or the much easier way is to bend the clips at the top down a bit. That second one is what I did on my print of the chestplate, and it stays on really well, now, even if I pick it up and jiggle it about.

Just go gently, if you go for the second option, and bend them slowly, so they don't break. As long as it was printed in Strong & Flexible (which it should be, since I never offered it in any other material), there's a fair bit of give in those clips (and you can warm them slightly with a hairdryer, too, to make it a bit easier.

13. Basilisk

Basilisk It will give you infinite pleasure!

Have you ever thought of making a Headmaster for him :p 

14. johnbonhamatron

johnbonhamatron RIP

News Credits:
    I did. And then I went and had a lie down until my head stopped hurting. :p  :lol 

15. Basilisk

Basilisk It will give you infinite pleasure!

Yeah i'm trying to think how it would even work. I'm thinking of replacing my Nightbeats head anyhow because the paint is rather shoddy. I think if you made a head master for him it'd be really tiny and have like no articulation :lol  not sure if it's worth all that effort. Besides in fiction Nightbeat rarely used the gimmick.

16. johnbonhamatron

johnbonhamatron RIP

News Credits:
    I reckon it would definitely be do-able, but... my big concern is how delicate it would be, considering that the head on a deluxe figure is really not very big at all.

Plus... I'd want to submit it to SuperFanArt, y'see, and their rules preclude doing full, transforming figures. Non-transforming ones are fine, as are convertible add-ons to existing figures, but the thing with Headmasters is that they fall into that grey area betwixt the two, so I'm not sure whether they'd be allowed.

17. The13Primes

The13Primes hot shot fanatic

News Credits:
    Time to draw a picture of my oc :D 

18. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    maybe if you sold all parts loose? arms / legs / torso ?

19. jame5y

jame5y Till All Are One..In the UK Thread

What's the size and fixing of the head?

Jon knows about stuff I'm working on And I'm wondering if something I have might headmaster up quite well...

20. jame5y

jame5y Till All Are One..In the UK Thread

although I may as well share something here haha... :D 

[​IMG]

Attached Files: