Minor/Repaint: Generations Nightbeat upgrades (Shapeways)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by johnbonhamatron, Aug 24, 2014.

1. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looking mighty fine. The only possible improvement would be to somehow make for a new arm assembly such that the headlights are on his arms rather than his shoulders. But that would require *extensive* retooling that would be highly impractical via Shapeways.

2. johnbonhamatron

johnbonhamatron Big ol' Nightbeat fanboy

Thanks very much! :D 

Yup, ye're not kidding about the work that would take. At best, I reckon the only way to do it via Shapeways would be to design fake headlights to glue on the forearms.

I plan on carving up the old torso to glue a plate on the front of my torso mod (while painting my torso kit itself black, to give him his IDW colour scheme, without colour-matching the teal), and I was sort of toying with the idea of using those little headlight-y nubbins on his midriff as lights on the forearm, but it depends on me deciding whether I can be bothered. :p 

I've got all the bits, now, anyway, so I've no excuse to put off getting paints and getting him in his proper colours (yellow thighs, dammit :p )!

EDIT TO ADD:
    Thanks ever so much to you and everyone else for the kind words! :) 

There's always Carzap, who you yourself said would work as Minerva... ;) 

3. Crim

Crim Well-Known Member

Hmmmm.... Anyone think this mould can be reused as some kind of Generations styled Crosshairs? ..... ;) 

Attached Files:

4. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    After GoShooter... the only other figure that I can see being appropriate would be G1 Aquaspeeder Jetstorm.

[​IMG]

Also...

[​IMG]

5. johnbonhamatron

Subtlest. Hint. Ever. :p 

ETA:
    Also, I'd just like to say, those goggles on 'Bee are amongst the most adorable things I've ever seen. And that's coming from a man whose new Legends-class G1-esque Bumblebee arrived in the post today... heh

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, late-era G1/into early-era G2. What a time, that was, a time when men were men, women were women and CGI could still impress us, and when green was GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN, blue was HYPERBLUE and red decided to have a year off and give his job to PIIIIIIIIIIIIINK. :p 

6. Crim

Crim Well-Known Member

Lol yeah, I think they're from a ghostbusters figure or maybe an oldish Marvel figure. They would require some modding to properly fit though (or, more likely, glueing them in place). :/

Man, I need to pick up that Bee and Prime. When they came out I stupidly passed on them since they were Legends figures (which just meant dinky, simple toys for kids to me) but I randomly picked up the Nemesis repaint when it came out and am blown away by how much fun these guys are! (Tailgate and Sharpnel were then instantly preordered and bought! Now I'm trying to find time to get the rest of them in between third party figures and official ones.)

Hey! One a related note, anyone else think that Legends Prime would make for an awesome Power master Prime chest piece?!? Like, if someone scaled that Xogen (was that the group?) PM Prime to fit the Legends Prime; wow! That would be cool to have!

7. johnbonhamatron

Hmm, aye. If they were done on Shapeways, they'd be reeeeeeally delicate, too.

Ooh, that's a rather awesome idea, that! Of course, it depends on which Legends version of Bumblebee you're talking about; the on that came with Blazemaster is glorious, but he's a teeeeeensy bit too big for what I have in mind.

So I went for the previous one, with the limited poseability, who's more based on a cross between Animated and Classics 'Bee. Well... the recent repaint of him, anyway:

LOOK, A TINY BEE!.jpg

He's nice and tiny, so it means the Pretender shell I'm designing for him can be: 1/ shrunk down to roughly Deluxe size; and 2/ cheaper. :p 

8. Crim

Crim Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I honestly never liked the Pretenders concept but color me interested! :) 

9. johnbonhamatron

Welp, as promised, I've started a new thread for the non-Nightbeat upgrades. :D 

Crim and CodeXCDM... you might notice the names "Crosshairs" and "Jetstorm" in there... what can I say, you both inspired me... :p 

I shall keep this thread, now, for updates on my customisations to the figure (repainting, basically).

10. Ranger Silver 6

Ranger Silver 6 Avatar by Pinpoint

You've made me want several copies of this mold.

11. russellestate

russellestate Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, I've got a blue height kit I'm looking to sell. I decided I wanted black instead. Anyone interested? Send me a PM.

12. Crim

Crim Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I was just thinking of how hard it would be to make a ball jointed neck for these guys? Maybe the peg would be too small and breakable?

13. johnbonhamatron

In that case, I'm hoping, one day, to get a cheque from Hasbro for helping increase their sales... :p 

Ooh, I've not seen the black version, I went for the polished blue one, so piccies when you get it!

Be aware, too, that the black only comes unpolished, so the texture will be a bit rougher.

It's feasible to do, but for best results (i.e. to avoid snapping bits off), it'd mean modelling the neck joint and the helmet in WSF, and the face part in FUD. It's not something I have on my roster at the minute, but in future, who knows?

14. ubertenorman

ubertenorman Well-Known Member

Hey, sorry if you've answered this above, but does the car have clearance in alt mode with the chestplate attached?

Love the kit btw!

15. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Well that would mean G2 Gobots would work and also G2 Windbreaker.

16. johnbonhamatron

'Fraid not, and the clips at the top that hold it on would get in the way of the shoulder joints moving up, so alas, it has to come off to be able to transform.

Tempted to do a Windbreaker chest, as his name always makes me titter... :p 

17. Massasoit

Massasoit Combicon

Finally had time over the holidays to catch up on some painting. This chest piece plus a little bit of paint make this the perfect Nightbeat in my eyes.

[​IMG]

18. Crim

Crim Well-Known Member

To be perfect, for me, he needs to be a bit taller. But, yeah, DAMN! Nice! :D 

19. johnbonhamatron

Niiiiiiiice! You made him look goigeous!

I'll hopefully have an update in the other thread in the next few days, since the next batch of prototype heads, and god willing (as long as I haven't buggered the joint up again), they'll be on sale, soon.

And then I have a secret project (well, secret if you're not looked at my Twitter feed) that's going to drive a few people loopy... :p 

ETA:
    I must get round to painting mine up, too. The ol'd disposable income is a bit tight at the minute, though, so it's case of buy paints, brushes and a Dremel (for the mod I want to do to add some of the old torso onto my new torso), or buy prototypes so I can get items on sale and make some cash.

EDIT TO ADD TO THE EDIT TO ADD:
    Also, my dirt cheap secondhand Universe Onslaught arrived in the post today. He's totally getting a kit to turn him into RiD Soundwave... ;) 

20. Crim

Crim Well-Known Member

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :d