Minor/Repaint: Generations / Cybertron Rumble head swap

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Housewife2000, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Housewife2000

Housewife2000 Fandom, combine!

Hi guys and girls,

Here is a quick mod I undertook to put a United Rumble head on a Cybertron Scrapmetal body.

Although they've been a part of Transformers from the very beginning of the franchise, I've never been a big fan of shared body types, and I wanted to differentiate Rumble from Frenzy (and yes, I'm a RIRFIB guy...) The Scrapmetal body is already a Rumble homage with its colour scheme and pile drivers, and the fact he's the same size as United Frenzy makes it a great fit.

I carved the head off Scrapmetal to remove the pin that holds it in place. United Rumble's head is on a ball joint attached to his collar piece, and the collar piece just unscrews after you dismantle his torso. Then I screwed the United head onto the Cybertron body using the hole left by the pin, and voila.

Apologies for the low quality snaps:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Personally, I'm also a fan of alt mode scale, and these guys fit fairly well into my 1:60 - 1:80 collection that includes Legends/Legion sized Autobot cars. I like to think the two cassette guys were upgraded into bigger bodies - one on earth and one on Cybertron - so they no longer have to rely on Soundwave for transport / energon / late night games of poker. Now these two punks are big enough to swagger around together dishing out demolition and disrespect, without any un-crasamatic bores hanging around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    VERY cool. Love the concepts and the execution here!!

3. gawddammit

gawddammit Rocketchoochoo

News Credits:
    I can't get over how well this works. My hat is off to you.

4. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Nice! I'm a RIRFIB guy too. About time something was done to that Cybertron mold to make it a bit more appropriate, though admittedly for a "classics" style Rumble, he feels a bit weird and Cybertronian in his spidery alt mode.

Also, as a purely nerdy aside, most people forget that Rumble and Frenzy are actually supposed to be twin brothers (presumably identical), despite fraternal twins Sunstreaker and Sideswipe getting all the attention. ;) 

zmog

5. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

Nice. I use the Cybertron Scrapmetals as my stand-ins for Frenzy and Rumble too, but with their original heads. I hadn't thought of doing something like this but now that I have seen it work so well, I might (if I can get ahold of some appropriate heads).

6. Bort826TFWorld

Bort826TFWorld OOGA CHAKA

News Credits:
    I'd say modify Rumble into a helicopter. It would just be a better look.

7. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Hm. In fact it's kind of a shame that Housewife is a RIRFIB fan... because somehow a mini-tank fits Rumble much better, and a helicopter would suit Frenzy as well.

zmog

8. Housewife2000

Housewife2000 Fandom, combine!

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Bort and Smog - Is it the Scrapmetal cockpit that's making you think of a helicopter? Maybe you could use one of the Energon Bruticus 'copter limbs, although none of them have quite the right colour scheme so you'd need to repaint them.

I'm not fussed by the unreal alt mode since I happily lump WFC and even the Unicron trilogy toys in with my Classics collection due to their aesthetic similarity.

To me, the spider-tank fits Rumble's role as Demolitions expert because it's perfect for moving over uneven terrain and rubble after he's razed a town or bunker. Meanwhile, Frenzy's rolling around on treads blaring out high pitched white noise and shooting up everything in his path. Can you tell how much I love these two?

Smog - you're right, it's weird that Sunstreaker and Sideswipe are accepted as twins based on a shared alt mode while say Air Raid and Starscream, or Tracks and Freeway are not. Equally, shared robot modes / body types generally mean nothing (Bluestreak and Prowl, Grapple and Inferno). With these two guys, I like the way the identical heads link them.