Heavy/Scratch: Generations Barricade w.i.p.

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by spoonman, Nov 29, 2011.

1. spoonman

spoonman I make bots.

Another custom I'm doing just to broaden my portfolio. Plus, I really like the character. Basically a reshell with some tweaks. Made from a Classics Prowl and an 07 Barricade with Classics Ironhide hands and a modded Drift head. Just a bit more to do and he will be ebay bound with a few nifty accessories.

Attached Files:

2. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    Very cool would love to see a deputy Frenzy.

3. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    spoonman... you don't ever seem to take a break huh? haha

fantastic idea! and great job! its looking great :thumb 

btw.. I'm still waiting for that protector upgrade! hah any news on it?

4. Screamingjet

Screamingjet Well-Known Member

I've felt that like Lugnut, Barricade needed a classics figure.
    Don't lie - there isn't one among you that wouldn't love seeing a Barricade vs Prowl, Bad cop Vs Good smack down.

Keep at it dude! He's looking great!

5. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    Or a sitcom with the two.:lol 

6. shinobi77

shinobi77 Fatbastard

Ebay:
    eh, not feeling this one, it has alot of promise, but choosing barricade just rubs me wrong. I'm not a Geewuner persay, but generations being an update of g1, G1 Barricade was a racecar, not a cop....

also, I hope you are going to do something about that gap......

Like I said, I do like the art going on here, just not who it represents.....

7. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I love it.

8. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Terrorcon King

Even though we've only seen G1 characters in 'Generations,' the name implies that it covers more than one generation, so I'm okay with it.

Besides, the G1 Barricade is almost completely forgettable, whereas Movie Barricade was a breakout character that's now instantly recognizable.

The toy itself, excellent work! I'm wondering what you'll do about the chest gap, though - it's kind of distracting. Also, the head is a very good choice, but the face needs... something. Some kind of tweak to make it more... Barricade-y. Still, amazing promise and definitely one I'd pick up as a retail release.

9. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

LOL. No offense, but does it really matter? I tend to notice the same sentiment any time someone tries to make a cross-generational character, especially with Barricade. It needs to be a racecar if it's to fit in the Classics/Generations line, or it's just not acceptable. Whatever happened to the notion of creativity and artistic license? I look at this more as a big what-if...what if the Movie Barricade so many of us have become familiar with in recent years had a G1-inspired look? Again, I don't mean to offend. I also know that this is just your personal opinion and a preference that's been echoed a few times. It just leaves me scratching my head.

10. soymonk

soymonk Mathematical!

News Credits:
    Looks wonderful so far.

11. jmart

jmart Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Sick!!!

12. spoonman

spoonman I make bots.

Thanks man! Cool idea but not sure I want to go that route.

I do not, sir! Thanks! It's still in progress. I should be able to really crack down on all my non-commissioned projects right after the new year. Stay tuneded!

Thanks bud! Yeah, that would be freakin'sweet!When I finish I will shoot some pics of that very scenario ;) 

THAT"S when a Deputy Frenzy would come in haha

So the only reason you're not feeling it is simply due to semantics? I understand that the majority of the Generations line has been G1 characters, but the idea, to me, impies a melding of different generations incorporated into one line. An arc crossing the vast styles and
    versions of different characters interprerted into something new, but recognizable. I suppose I should have titled it as "Classics Style Movie Barricade" but again, it's semantics and either way I think the point comes across.
    Thanks Blood!

Exactly! I don't think that the movie Barricade had ANYTHING to do with the Micromaster. The different lines have recycled names so much that I think any sense of canon or consistency is out the proverbial space-bridge :/

Agreed. It all comes down to artistic license. I'm not gonna defend why I labeled him "Generations" and I totally respect Shinobis' opinion, but I think that the whole CHUG labels are getting out of hand. Everytime Has/Tak comes up with a figure, they change the linename. Does it matter what tag Wheeljack has in front of it? No. It's still Wheeljack. It's still a transformer and the ones we make are our creations and should be free of labels!
    Thank you sir!

Much appreciated, Jose! Glad you like :) 

13. rumble619

rumble619 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm loving this so far bud.Keep it up!!!!!

As far as the Generations being updates for the G1 figures.I understand that argument as most of the figures have been G1 but I know that Drift isn't a G1 character and he's in the Generation line.I would even agree with the argument if he titled it G1 Barricade but he didn't.To me CHUG allows for all the characters from any Transformers brand to be interpreted in any way.

Just my opinion

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  14. Demonss

Demonss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd agree if he said "Classics" Barricade, generations bridges many things.. Your mentality is a "geewuner" if you ask me.. Generations War For Cybertron toys are not G1 related.. When was Soundwave EVER a car/Truck in G1??

So "generations" is a fine label. If that's the basis of your criticism that's silly and overly critical regardless of what the label was. Would you have the same criticism if the page just said "barricade WIP" and was not movie styled?

Pointing out the gap in the car is also silly.. Topic quite clearly says "Wip"
    Does one go into a WIP of some thing that's pieced together and unpainted (lets say devastator) and then say, "the paint could use improvement?"
    If the figure was close to completion and paint was being applied and this that and the other thing.. Fine valid criticism. Or if you were commenting on a gap that wasn't looking like it would be touched (for instance if there was a big split between the tops of the hood where the head connects.

That being Said.. Spoony.. This work amazes me! How did you get the doors on the back to be positioned like that? That's pretty darn cool! The one thing I wonder is, would it be possible to compress the front end of the mustang at all? Only because he feels like he's got REALLY broad shoulders.. If not, minor quibble.. But just something that stands out since it makes the head feel a bit small.

15. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I dig stuff like this. Whatever you call it- G1ifying a movieverse... or making a hybrid... I can never get enough.

This is a really nice job.

As far as Shinobi's comment... I fully respect it and condemn it not. However, being a custom I think artistic freedom and expression trump continuity accuracy.

I consider cases like this as being a "what if". Heck- I'd like to make G1 Thundercracker as a helicopter one day and G1 ptimus as a prop driven cargo plane.

Or Perceptor for that matter?

[​IMG]

Besides- it's a matter of record that HASBRO was all for WFC being a G1 story before retconning it into PRIME. Regardless, if you stick to that whole "when was Soundwave ever a truck" thing, then you are being just as small minded as you accuse Shinobi of being for thinking Barricade should be a racecar.

I find thiscomment un-necessarily devisive and the attitude behind it repugnant.

16. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

Love it! I've wondered if someone had tried something like this, re-shelling a Generations fig with Barricade pieces. Like others, I would really love a G1-ified Barricade. Using the Drift head was a good choice, it captures the spikiness.

Really looking forward to seeing this completed!

17. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Love it, want more of it. I really like the crossover stuff we've been getting. Lugnut and bulkhead are major characters in ANY universe from now on IMO.
    Doesn't matter what someone else calls it or "where" it goes on the shelf, it only matters to the artist.

You made this thing look really slick! Took me a second to realize that you just layered the movie barricade over prowl on the legs. Very cool.

Randy!

18. Quantum25

Quantum25 Well-Known Member

Sweet. Very cool custom. It's going to look great once it's done.
    If you do decide on including a Frenzy with Barricade, it'll be awesome it he was a targetmaster along with being a "cassettebot."
    Anyways, really looking forward to seeing him done.

19. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I like what you've done here. The Drift head seems like a great "classics" match for Barricade for some reason. Good call. :) 

zmog

20. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    That is really nice! Yep, now I am going to do this for my own collection. One of the few Classics characters I DON'T have :)