Generations and licensed Alt-modes

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Kaymac, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

In my opinion, Generations should have some more TFs with licensed alt-modes, however, there have to be established characters that suit them. Since Kup is confirmed to be coming out, my idea of him being a Chevy SSR is probably a non-factor now. However, a Can-Am Spyder Wheelie has a slight chance, and would certainly be something I'd buy.

What kind of licensed alt-modes would you like to see, and what character should the vehicle turn into?

2. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

No thanks. That schtick belongs to Alternators and Alternity.

3. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

Who cares? We're getting some awesome shit. And there's really no need to immediately date the figures.

Yes, Alternators were great, but Generations is perfect just as is.

4. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

I don't mind realistic alt modes, but I don't insist on licensed ones.

5. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I'm fine with the "closest we can get without getting sued" alt mode designs.

But sticking with that basic idea, Trail... *sigh*, "cutter" should be a Toyota Tacoma. Kup should be the Toyota concept A-BAT. Wheeljack of course, the new Pininfarina Lancia Stratos.

6. alfred p. sloan

alfred p. sloan Well-Known Member

Word.

7. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    They only cover cars. And they're usually BIGGER.

The OP probably means a variety of altmodes, such as jets, boats, vehicles with treads etc. of which the mold sculpt definitely emphasizes realism, instead of funky toddler thick wings & proportions.

A more realistic paint scheme also helps, without the usual contrast colour which sticks out like a sore thumb ( neon G2 colours, yuck ! ).

I'm not saying it HAS to be a licensed vehicle, but more realism is certainly welcome to me. Think, "almost-Audi R8" Sideways. Same proces could be done for a jet ; nice & sleek without extra fantasy fins and such.

8. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I've always felt this way about Classics Bee. Whatever,.. they can or can't get the VW license,.. blah blah blah (this isn't a request for someone to explain licensing, copyrights, etc) but why couldn't they make him look more like a VW Bug than whatever hatchback he does resemble. Couldn't they have made him look like a Bug without a VW logo? ..I think so.

Other than the Tron looking lines on WFC Bee's car mode, he resembles a Bug more to me than the Classics Suzuki looking Bee.

9. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    I'm with this guy. The Alt/BTs were great but as long as the vehicles look fairly realistic (like most of the Classic-style figures) then I dont really care that they arent actual licensed vehicles.

10. anotheran

anotheran Old skooler

I'd stick with Hasbro/TAK with what they're doing now. Licenses suck a lot of money and would likely kill the line like it did to the alts. Every new mold is lots of money.

For anyone asking for licensed stuff, do you want even more characters using the same mold like the Smokescreen/Silverstreaker molds?

11. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Hasbro is close with Chevy, and already has some vehicles licensed. A new mold Classics Bumblebee as a Chevy Spark would certainly be cool.

12. QmTablit

Not going to lie, I love Peugeot 206 Classics/Henkei Bee. I couldn't care less about a VW Bug anymore.

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I certainly agree with you, but I still want a BT BB and CJ out of a New Beetle :) 

I also agree with your response towards the subject. I don't care about the licensed vehicle modes, especially with where we are now in regards to which figures we have. We're very close to having an 84 cast fully now :) 

This said, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to a "turboedguy" version of G1 :) 

14. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Licensing alt modes will cut into thier profits so it's HIGHLY unlikely this will be done outside of movie toys, not exaclty sure how it works but if I had to guess they not only need to pay for the likeness but a small percent of profit on those toys go to the licensers.

15. QmTablit

Not to mention that because it's the car company's trademarked likeness (front grills and headlights most often), they need to be involved through development to make sure they got the look exactly right.

I imagine a whole lot of companies don't want their product representing eeevl bad guys.

16. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's worth pointing out that car manufacturers won't licence their vehicle designs out for free - they'll want a hefty wad of cash, which will come out of that toy's design/development budget. I'd rather have some of the awesome engineering we've had from recent toys, with a realistic (or even semi-realistic) alt mode, than "real world" vehicles with engineering corners cut.

17. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Exactly. I wouldn't want them to necessarily spend money on the licensing. They have so much freedom not only monetarily, but design wise, as to what they would like to include and do with the figures.

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    As long as the car looks good, I don't care if it's real or not.

19. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

What I want to see is for Hasbro to try and license a beast mode.

20. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Would'nt that make the retail price higher?

*Got beat to it