Generation 1 Voice Effects

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Rodimus, May 28, 2011.

1. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

What's your favorite kind of voice effect? Back in G1 did you ever notice how the Decepticons had a different sound than the Autobots in the voices up until the Movie came out? It was like a Metallic ringing in their voices. But once Unicron came along, it changed. Characters like Starscream, Megatron, and Rumble all still had it, but once Galvatron and the Sweeps were created it was more clear of a voice effect. Heck even after the movie the Decepticons had different voice effects, although it was very very subtle and you have to listen EXTREMELY close to notice the difference. They went back to the metallic buzzing noise in the episodes 5 Faces of Darkness but after that they switched it so that the Decepticons had a similar effect to what the Quintessons had in the TV show. It was clearer but vocoded, with a little bit of warble/echo in it. It soundind a little bit close to the Autobots but the Autobots had a more smooth hollow robotic sound for their voice effects.

During some point in season 3 they had a new voice processing engineer take over. The guy that had been doing it up to the movie no longer had a direct hands on role in processing the actors voices and someone else took over the reigns.

My question to you is, what kind of Voice Effects do you like the most? Especially for the Decepticons... what do you prefer? The metallic buzz ringing pre-movie, or the clearer vocoded sound like the Combaticons, Constructicons, Blitzwing, and Cyclonus all had post movie? (See the episode Ultimate Weapon for a good post movie example.)

What's your favorite voice effects? And as and example what character has your favorite sound?

2. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Soundwave's flange effect.

3. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

In season three, didn't they stop using whatever technology they were using. I don't know if it was for budget reasons or what, but the characters definitely didn't have that technological sound that they had during the first couple of seasons.

4. SuzyPrime

SuzyPrime The friendly lurker

I love the voice sound effect of the first two seasons on the Autobots and Decepticons. Astrotrain's effect wasn't great. Season 3's voice quality went downhill big time in comparison.

5. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy The. Balls. Will. Touch.<br><b><font color=blue>Bi

News Credits:
    Never heard any flanger in his voice. AFAIK, it's basically his Dr. Claw voice with a vocoder effect on it, with a little more wet than dry. Really hard to pinpoint what the carrier signal is though.

6. Rodimus

Yeah it's a vocoder with a chord arrangment in some type of synth carrier. If you listen you'll notice he does some shifting so that's when the chord changes too. He usually does it on his 2nd sentence when he's confident with what he said. (IE the contest for leadership in the movie.)

I actually like the Season 3 sound of both the Autobots and Decepticons. I thought the effect itself was much MUCH more dynamic than the plane jane stuff from the first 2 seasons. (Not that I don't like the first 2 seasons sound, I like them too, but I like the later effects better.) That buzzing distortion noise they put on the early Decepticons before the movie sometimes gives me a headache. It almost takes away from the actors performance. But I liked the delay effect they had in the voices in season 3, and if you notice when Powermaster Optimus Prime came back and did his intro with Tommy for retelling the movie and a few other episodes, he has that effect too. They also used it on the commercials and by that point in time I thought it was the most distinctive sound of any thing on TV. You KNEW it was Transformers when you heard it. Where as there are a couple other shows that have used that simple flange/chorus style effect like you hear in seasons 1 and 2. (Such as the anime Brave for example.)

7. vmagnum

vmagnum Horrorcon

I particularly fancy Devastator's voice in the G1 movie, right after he 'merged for the kill' on Megatron's instruction and smashed Autobots's stronghold

8. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    G1 Wreckgar always made me laugh, so other than Soundwave... :) 

9. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

If you watch Episode MTMTE correctly Starscream, Prime, Megs and even some of the Decepticons and Autobots voices are different than the rest of the episodes of season 1 and 2, for example in the Episode Megatron's Master plan, when Megatron ordered Thrust to got get Chip back he sounded like Galvatron, so dont forget back then technology wasnt so improved compared to today.

10. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

There really is no arguing with this.

11. Rodimus

Wow, that's a sharp ear Wheeljack. I'm glad you pointed out those examples! Good post!

12. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

Soundwave's monotone vocoder voice, Astrotrain's voice (if you listen to Powrman 5000, the vocal tricks used in their vocal tracks sound like Astrotrain)

13. Rodimus

What songs? What's a good example?

14. PureNoobage

PureNoobage New Member

Speaking of that gravely Decepticon effect, does anyone have any idea what that is? It almost sounds like a very faint distortion effect....

15. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    It just might be me, but I noticed that vocoder effect happened in the Japanese dub as well. To be more exact, it only affected the Decepticons, while the Autobots had no vocoder effect. They stopped using it by The Headmasters.

16. TheG1Reviewer

TheG1Reviewer Well-Known Member

I gotta go with Astrotrain and the mighty Broooo-tick-us.