Generation 1 overrated ?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ejt84, Jan 15, 2010.

1. ejt84

ejt84 Member

ok, i like g1 as much as everyone else here. but it seems to me by reading the post on this site that many on here are allways comparing the many transformers shows and that g1 is so much better than them all.

but to me there has been much better stories and animation since the 80's . again i'm a fan of g1 but doe's anyone else feel that g1 is overrated

2. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

If anything I think the current mood towards G1 is that it was 80's junk. I still love it anyway.

3. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Then you don't like it as much as everyone else here.

And to answer your question: no. Assuming you're talking about the cartoon, G1 is underrated.

4. doomtron

doomtron 3p noob

News Credits:
    the problem is that thanks to that dork michael bay its popular to hate us so called geewun fans. but if it wasent for g1 you would be posting on a powerrangers site. so hate us as much as u want but we are not going anywhere so deaL WITH IT

5. CBII

CBII Well-Known Member

I know that it was a little painful to get through some of the original episodes but I still love it anyways...

I have been a little disappointed when I find a G1 toy that I had as a kid. I for some reason rememer it as being totally awesome but when you get it in your hands now you want more articulation, more detail, etc.

Brings back great memories though:thumbs2: 

6. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    As somebody that grew up with Beast Wars, yeah G1 would be consider overrated from stuff I've seen as a kid and these days. But at the time, G1 was like other shows at the time.

Plus it was the first Transformer series. So it will be hold to somewhat of a high standard from that. There are better shows, but it will always be the first.

7. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No. TFA and BW are overrated, not G1.
    Nobody thought BW was the best TF series before the scenes with the G1 cast deactivated inside the Ark.

About TFA, people were so tired of TF japanimation that they loved it, not realizing it's just an average show.

8. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, G1 is a tad bit overrated. First isn't always best.

In closing, here's what I said a few minutes ago in another thread regarding a comment by doomtron, as I think it applies here and bears repeating:

9. ejt84

ejt84 Member

i do like g1, i still watch the cartoon, thing is i'm not obsessed with it.

10. doomtron

doomtron 3p noob

News Credits:
    yeah but we are the ones who get all the crap for enjoying what we like not anyone else. if i am wrong prove it

11. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    G1 is the definitive article. The stories and writing haven't always been the best, but it's the authentic TF universe, the archetype, the real deal.

Everything else still feels like a bastardisation. Sometimes a great bastardisation, but a bastardisation nonetheless.

12. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

No matter what, G1 will always be among my favorite series, not just because of the nostalgia but also because it's what launched the whole Transformers franchise. Without G1, we'd most likely be on a Go-Bot forum or some other forum pertaining to some other robot shows.

Sure, the G1 cartoon was cheesy, but that's just the '80s for you.

13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Can't be that over-rated if every week someone makes a thread asking how many people think it's not all that great.

14. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I don't see this thread ending well at all.

As for G1 being overrated, I don't think so. As for it being underrated, ha I don't think so. It was just a good show that kick started this craze we all love. Like or love G1, dislike or hate we do owe it for what we know Transformers as today.

15. doomtron

doomtron 3p noob

News Credits:

16. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:

17. blackjkb

blackjkb Banned

i liked g1...but i did think it was overrated

18. doomtron

doomtron 3p noob

News Credits:
    do you mean overrated bye the fact that every series since including the movie has borrowed from it? maybe you can ask for a poopimus prime in the next movie

19. Rhapsody_Prime

Rhapsody_Prime ...such Heroic Nonsence.

QFT.

This kind of thread/discussion comes up probably second only to the RIRFIB/FIRRIB one, which we all know is saying a lot.

Who fucking cares if you hate or love G1!!?? I certainly don't. I am not attacking anybody, nor am I trying to come off arrogantly by making the last remark. You have an opinion, so do I. If you cannot get over the fact that others may not share the same views that you do, the why the fuck are you on the internet to begin with??!! This is a topic I would love to see discussed never again. At least with the RIRFIB/... threads people take it light heartedly. This topic on the other hand makes people react like you've just kicked their retarded dog...

End of Line

...I love G1.

20. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    It's in a league of it's own. The cartoon and toys were a victim of the times. Even with that considered, it's much easier to watch than any of the Unicron Trilogy in my opinion. Also, a chunk of the toys are still considered to be amazing.

Compare watching any given 10 episodes of G1 and any 10 toys from G1, with 10 of each from... say Animated, and you have a huge disparity. That sounds about right for 25 years later if you ask me.

Now the re-imagined figures? They are incredible. I'd take a Classics Prime or Universe Cyclonus over any of the Animated figures personally, but it won't be such a landslide since Animated has a very consistent and high quality of figures.

The comics have amazing chunks and some real crap, but it's also got the most depth and some of the most memorable stories. Which is about right for a comic running for such a long time, even on and off.