Generation 1 - DVD- when is it coming out?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by dj_mixmaster_2000, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dj_mixmaster_2000

dj_mixmaster_2000 New Member

Did anyone see or hear any news on when or if Transformers Generation 1 is going to be re-released on DVD again? I attempted to find out by searching this site, but I could not find anything. I am having a hard time find this news elsewhere too. The last thing I heard was that sony took over the license and they will re-release the original series at a later time.

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    A Question is N-E-V-E-R News or Rumor, ok? Questions belong in either General Discussion, or TF General Discussion.

3. dj_mixmaster_2000

dj_mixmaster_2000 New Member

that is why I placed it here in general discussion? I read the rules after my original post in news. But while you are here, do you have any knowledge of an answer for my question?

4. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    sure dont or I'd have happily answered. and this was the one in news I moved it before discovering you had a second thread.

5. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I heard that Sony was going to make it, using the same disvision that brough out the 20th Ann '86 movie DVD, but then Sony shut that division down and the project was cancelled.

6. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Hasbro is awesome at picking DVD lincensees that hate money. They yanked the license from Rhino, who actually did a halfway decent job at least putting out box sets, and gave it to, who was it? Paramount? Who never released a single box set, but did release spotty single discs that skipped episodes to use as proof that Transformers DVDs don't ever sell, EVAR, then gave it to Sony, who released the movie, then folded the division that released "childrens" DVDs.

Maybe they could give the license to my cousin that has a DVD replicator and a copy of iMovie. He'd at least make the attempt to put out box sets.

I'm not much for getting a hate-on for Hasbro's rationale, but I have to say I'm thoroughly disgusted with the way they handle their DVD releases. Sure, the movie will get seventy-five different releases over the next couple years, but will we ever see another season of Transformers cartoons released on DVD? I seriously, SERIOUSLY doubt it. And it all started right after I cancelled my satellite service, so I haven't seen so much as an episode of anything past Armada.

If they don't straighten out this DVD licensing mess soon, they'll miss the biggest opportunity to rake in cash for little outlay they've ever had. People are STARVING for Transformers right now, even people who haven't thought about Transformers in twenty years. Give them the option to buy up the old episodes, and the stuff that's come out since, and they'll jump all over it right now.

Instead, we'll likely see nothing. And people will continue to ask why.

7. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There are two threads about this right now =)

Anyway... I agree with you completely. I wish disney would have taken advantage of the x-men and spider-man movies and released the 90's cartoon series as season dvd sets. But noooooo....

And didn't Marvel sue Disney over that matter? For not using their properties at their most popular or something?

Could Hasbro possibly do the same thing?

8. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

I'm SO glad I picked up those G1 DVDs while they were still in print :D 

But I do wish Disney would release R.I.D in UNCUT episodes.

9. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Apparently Hasbro's DVD licenses say, "This grants to the lincensee the ability to spit in our face instead of printing and releasing any DVDs because, really, we pretty much hate money too."

And as much as I'd love to get RID on DVD in the states, that's even more of a pipe dream than getting Energon and Cybertron, and THOSE are such a pipe dream I'd just as well wish to have super models deliver my pizza and beer every night of the week with copies of Headmasters, Masterforce and the Japanese Beast Wars episodes I've never seen.

In other words, not gonna happen.

10. Kimmer

Kimmer Well-Known Member

two words:CLOSED CAPTIONING! why the hell didn't they ever put subtitles in any of the box sets? my brother is hearing impaired but loves tranformers and he can't even watch the cartoon cause of the lack of closed captoning.

11. littlebotbrat

littlebotbrat Well-Known Member

I wonder if they will also make the beast wars,too?

12. Ian_GSi

Ian_GSi Active Member

Im feeling pretty lucky reading all this to have all 98 Episodes of G1 on DVD and all 4 seasons of Beast Wars.

Got a few different versions of TF:TM as well.

Shame my DVD player has packed up though isnt it lol

13. Jetstorm

I'm pretty sure Beast Wars is still in print.

14. guarddog8471

guarddog8471 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The only season I do not have is the first season. I wish I had gotten it when it was out! I have been anxiously awaiting the re-release, and was pissed when Sony shut that division down! I have the rest of the seasons and Beast Wars and Beast Machines. Everything after that is garbage, IMO.

I hate the anime style. For instance when a character is running, you hear the footsteps, however, they "freeze" the character in one pose, and try to pass that off as "running"! Just venting....SORRY!!!

15. Robimus

Robimus Wanna'be Cassettebot

News Credits:
    I don't think so, I only have seen season 3 in stores recently and that was only one store out of several hundred I've been to. So I grabbed it and now that store doesn't have any either.

I do wish Sony or Hasbro or whoever has the rights would get off their butts and reissue those G1 cartoons. You would have thought they'd be better organized with the live action movie all. Somebody in their upper mngt cost them millions by not having this stuff available so people could gobble it up with all the other movie hype. Pretty much anything that says Transformers on it is gold right now.

16. adam-x

adam-x megazord activate,,

actually all of it is anime style, its just that the kind you hate is the "pokemon anime style".

17. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Madman Entertainment's Australian releases of Beast Wars are still available - hands down, best set in terms of features and because Mainframe was a PAL production house, it has the highest visual quality (because Australia uses PAL, too)

Dudes, commentary tracks from the story editors, Ben Yee, Simon Furman, some of the Mainframe staff and some of the voice actors!

Being the King of Armada, I don't remember that at all. When they ran, they ran.

18. Jetstorm

Commentaries? On Beast Wars episodes?! Oh how I wish those were on the American releases! I mean, the sets are a little lacking in the bonus features (compared to, say, the Simpsons!) but the show's awesome-ness more than makes up for it.

19. jnmx2000

jnmx2000 classics

i don't think we'll be getting any new transformer box sets for awhile. atleast of the older stuff. if you want the old series, i recommend the japanese tin box set, which has the english version of every ep and the movie, and i got mine for only 40 bucks. thats about 100 eps and a movie for 40 bucks, that's a damn good price if you ask me. but if you don't want the series and are just curious then ignore me lol

20. Me Grimlock

Me Grimlock Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    where did u get it for $40?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.