general rant about the hasbro movie line of figures

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by rekindled_passion, Aug 17, 2007.

1. rekindled_passion

rekindled_passion Active Member

hello all,

this has prob been said already, but im getting annoyed.

the movie line; hasbros "comeback" (to the general populace) or a giant frustration?

Spidey 3 and transformers were my "big two" films to see this year along with the collection of the respective figures.

Spideys figures (in the UK) are all over the place, however the scale, quality and detail are S%@T compared to "toy biz" previous figures (how did hasbro get the licence for this garbage - i have not purchased a single figure). However these toys were all over the place about a month before the film hit the screens.

On the other hand transformers toys (probably the line of which i would most associate hasbro) can't be found anywhere (well the actual transforming toys) with the exception of leader class (which over here is £40 ($80) and probably why the are not moving because little jonny cant afford with his pocket money) however deulux & voyager (with the exception of rachet) cant be seen for love nor money. Even those legends are not around, all i can find is lunch boxes, pencils and other crap.

surely hasbro would have thought it would have been best to have the main popular charaters in MASS quantities AT film release (im refering to voyager prime, megatron and deulux 08 bumblebee) i understand releasing characters in waves to "keep interest" . Releasing less popular characters first for the collecters market so the money coming in makes sense, but i would imagine fickle little jonny who wants his prime and bee will lose interest a month after he has seen the film and not got the toys he wants- where is the marketing sense?

my point is HASBRO - get prime and bee on the shelf to stop scalping and to make the most profit.

what are other peoples views?

2. killahbuny

killahbuny Well-Known Member

ive not had that much trouble getting figs but your right its getting silly i cant find bonecrusher anywhere and as for 08 bb nothing even needs to be said about that situation.

3. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    I actually would like to rant and rave to the high heavens about why they can't get any 08 BB's out on the shelves. But I won't. I will just say that they made too many kinds of toys, and not enough of the right ones to satisfy the demand. I just hope that they get it together soon.

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Bonecrusher and '08 Bumblebee have only just come out over here.

But I agree, the selection in my local shops is pretty small - to find something I have to take a near hour long drive.

5. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    According to a UK sighting post, so is Dreadwing.

Im getting really sick of not being able to find stuff.
    Even worse is that the only deluxes I ever find are Protoforms.

News comes through that Bonecrusher + Swindle are at Argos, Wilkos and Sainsburys. Not any within a 1 hour drive of me they arent.

If I dont find a Bonecrusher soon Im just going to bite the bullet and order online. (Pay the jacked up price with p+p on top)

6. Trek

Trek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No problem with finding anything I've been looking for here. Norwich TRU or Toyz and Gamez has everything I've looked for.

7. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Problem is also that hasbro only made a certain amount of the different figures because:
    1) If the movie was a totalt flop they would burn in with lots of figures not selling at all = big money loss.
    2) The movie was more succesfull than hasbro had anticipated and hadn't made up a big enough stock of figures.
    The problem is hasbro can't fill up the large demand, also they had to cut down the release of some figures in the US to make sure there would be enough to sell in Europe/Asia. While US residents have BB 08 out and Bonecrusher albeit hard to find, they at least got them - in many places in Europe BB 08 and Bonecrusher haven't reached the continent yet - and when they do they will probably be even less available than in the US.

YES it's annoying ans hell and Hasbro better get that production line going a lot faster to fill out the hughe demand.

In TRU in Denmark there are all almost all the 1st wave figures except Bonecrusher and the Protoforms - they are nowhere in sight. But we have the Leader class, voyager class and deluxe class and lots of F.A.B's etc - their price is somewhat debateable because a deluxe figure is $29 - a voyager around $52 and a leader class $100.

8. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Main reason for lack of figures such as Bumblebee is due to the shipping problems in China, or so I heard, that's why many countries are getting delayed stock.

Here in NZ it's hard to find TF toys because they've all compleltely sold out. I've never seen Voyagers sell so quickly in my life. The only issue here is that we've gotten HEAPS of wave 1.5 (Swindle/Bonecrusher) and neither figure + protoforms are selling well, every other figure has disappeared off the shelf except those four.

We have had limited amounts of Megatron, no Bumblebee/Dreadwing or Arcee yet but I hope we get them soon. I don't mind though, in all respects i'm glad to see TF fly of the shelves like they are, it means that people are enjoying TF more than ever around the world.

9. rekindled_passion

rekindled_passion Active Member

this is very much a case of supply and demand, i saw wave 1 deuluxes for about a week, (luckly i got 2 of the ones i was interested in) but since then there has been nothing on the shelves except protoforms

did hasbro think these would be exreamly popular (they were only on screen for about a 1min tops) or is the shops are not putting anything else on the shelf until the protoforms shift?

i still think hasbro should have focused up voyager prime, megs, and deulux bee 74 & 08, and baracaid as wave 1 - the main characters of the film are the toys the kids will want - not arcee, bonecrusher, jazz etc - as cool as they are they were, they were not onscreen all that much (i know arcee wasnt in film) and kids will want these after the other. Collecters are different i know but hasbro should have focused on the populace as a whole when considering waves for this film and not on perhaps their usual collectors market (?)

10. killahbuny

killahbuny Well-Known Member

Im happy about that too but it just makes it hard to find the figs I want although im kinda enjoying the hunting aspect that its brought to the hobby.

I know how hard it must have been for my mum to get prime for me for christmas now.

11. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

Simple fact is, toy collecting sucks ass these days. Make a list of everything that was great about toy collecting in the 80's & it's all the opposite now. Lots of awesome lines, great selection,stores were well stocked, figures weren't shortpacked, helpful employees, lots of stores to choose from, bigger toy departments, toys stayed out in the stores for a couple years, no scalpers, no competition. It was paradise! Now everything is the exact opposite, it's horrible, a frustrating, stress filled nightmare. :( 

12. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

I agree that more popular toys should be shelved. Poor little Johnny.

13. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

Eh, try to find some good in toy collecting these days, however hard it may be.

Some emeployees are helpful. :eek: 

14. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    You guys could blame retailers for underestimating Transformers, and thus stocking less TF toys, but loads of Spidey 3, POTC, Star Wars and such crap that isn't shifting.

15. cleazer

cleazer Lost in the lights

News Credits:
    Right. The problem is that the Wal-Marts and Targets of the world didn't order enough stock for their warehouses to be able to continuously supply their stores. So now Hasbro is stuck trying to play catchup. Now all the TRU's, Meijers, Wal-Marts, etc, are begging for thousands and thousands of cases of Transformers, and Hasbro has to pick and choose who to send product to, while trying to keep all of their corporate customers somewhat happy.

16. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    When the toys first hit in June, and were plentiful, I bought everything I could as soon as I saw it. I really thought this would not be an issue, but I did not want to take any chances.

I would like to think, with the holiday season ahead and an eventual DVD release, Hasbro will recognize the need to continue production of this line so that this issue goes away. I understand the frustration though, I had been looking for an 08 Bee since I was on vacation the beginning of July, and finally got one yesterday.

17. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah, that was kinda my thoughts.

What are you gonna do? It's a company that's making money. Anything they do above and beyond that for us is just a bonus.

18. RKillian

RKillian https://rktoys.myshopify.com

And this is one of the many reasons why the modern 2-4 week availability window is so God damned stupid. I really don't understand the adamant refusal on the domestic industry's part (Takara seems to have caught on) to do another production run of something that proved popular enough to sell out. Instead, they'll make too much of the next wave which might be overwhelmingly lackluster and clog shelves for months to come. You can chalk it up to anything you like but, having seen this pattern repeat itself over and over and over since G2, I wouldn't rule out a collective learning disability shared across the entire chain.

19. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I gotta say, I've been having decent luck in finding the Figs I want, I even snagged the 2 pack Prime/08 Bee from Argos first try, and spotted a single pack 08 Bee in John Lewis.

They are out there, but its hard to know where.

20. yovnocrats

yovnocrats Well-Known Member

i cant complain, stores here are restocking, in the past few days alone ive bought BB payload, longarm and meantime.