Customs: General Question about using Rare Earth Magnets

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Stuntastic, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Stuntastic

Stuntastic Well-Known Member

I plan on making something big, and for a part of the project, I considered using a lego piece, to help something swivel.

But I was wondering if the rare earth magnets are compatible. I mean, duh... Negative/Positive. But what I mean is, would the rods work with the cylinder magnets, and work as the same manner as the lego pieces would?

(The piece normally used for propellers and it's opposite counterpart.) I don't know the name of the pieces.

The reason I ask, is because I plan on using heavy materials (wood.) And would like something strong that would'nt shatter under pressure, IE lego plastic.

If anyone is confused, I'll draw it out and hopefully make things a bit more clear.

2. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

magnets can only hold so much, and shouldn't be used as some sort of permanent joint.
    Also, anything heavy is going to make it fall off or not hold at all. Yo'd have to get a really big and expensive magnet to pull that off.
    Or am I not understanding you at all?

generally, when you go big and heavy, you need actual hardware of bolts and screws. An easy way to get the right friction on a joint without having to fuss with it to much (and worry about it working itself loose later) is use washers between the bolt head and nut(as a bearing of sorts) and lock nuts. also sometimes called nylon nuts.

Randy!

3. Stuntastic

Stuntastic Well-Known Member

Well, it's not so much a joint, but a removable turret.

I'd like to use a cylinder magnet on the base part, and possibly a rod magnet for the turret. So it would just sit on top, but I want it to sit flush and not wiggle around, hence using magnets instead of a Lego.

The wood pieces would only about about 6x6 inches and no thicker than an inch.

4. minsok

minsok Well-Known Member

I've had a lot of experience with magnets. If you're trying to make a turret JUST out of magnets, it won't work. You might be able to get the rod to stick to the main turret, but it would be floppy and it would be prone to sticking on sideways instead since more surface area = higher attraction. Magnets are also not stronger than plastic, they are more brittle.

I use disk shaped magnets are the easiest way of making swiveling joints and can create 5 lbs of force, which is strong enough for anything you could want to do and as "permanent" as any ball joint.

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'll simply say that I'm still not a huge fan of magnets being used on Transformers.

6. minsok

minsok Well-Known Member

From a customizer's point of view, magnets are a godsend for parts that are supposed to detach; like combiner limbs. They are easier to set up than making a peg and slot and you don't have to worry about wear from use. It's so satisfying and futuristic that they just connect themselves instead of having to line up pegs like a caveman. I have no idea why HasTak didn't do it for Power Core Combiners, would have made the line a little more fun. To the OP, you should at least give magnets a try before dismissing them. They're very cheap on ebay and I used them in practically all my leader class customs.

7. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    what kind of magnet do you use? neodym?

and i have a major problem: noone her ein germany know what are "rare earth magnets" are, cause the description is unknown here, could you help me?

8. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Did you know some rare earth magnets are so strong that if you were to get your hand caught between two of them it would pretty much rip your hand off? Some of those magnets have a 5 ton strength. Might be more, just know what they use in factories.

9. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Magnets that never lose their magnetism and are very strong:

Rare-earth magnet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    thx to you both :)  very friendly!

has someone a ebaylink to some kind of these magnets (not the dangerous ones please) cause i want to use then for somm custom-projects

11. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

I prefer to always buy my magnet from Frenergy Magnets, a Melbourne based company. They sell for cheap, and the magnets are good. You can get many different sizes and grades.

Also, to whoever it was that said Magnets were good for Combiner Joints...What? The amount of weight behind a Combiner makes Magnet joints utterly impractical. Just don't. They can be used to supplement another joint, if necessary, but shouldn't be used as the primary connector.

To the OP: Just use the lego. What you're saying is that you want a propeller of some sort to stick on and spin. A magnet allows you to twist it with your hand, but it's not going to allow you to just flick it and have it self spinning. Only a lego joint can do that. Plus, spinning a magnet would cause lots of friction against the coating, and when that wears off, which would be pretty soon, the magnet gets pretty fragile.

12. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here is your one stop shop for neodymium rare earth magnets.

http://www.gaussboys.com/

Gotta love the word play. I've used 'em before, and so does Jin Saotome, if you care.

13. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

They're better for attaching smaller parts and accessories than actual limbs or anything with too much weight.