Gen 1 Megatron Scratch build

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Azurial, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Azurial

Azurial Well-Known Member

Gen 1 Megatron 3D version - Scratch build

In my spare time i like to do some 3D modeling work for kicks and had an idea some months back to do a Gen 1 Megatron costume for Halloween, cons and such. well yesterday i started my model of good ol' Megs and today I'm sharing a recent screen cap of my Build in Progress. I'm planning on hopefully building a 4 part combiner using this technique eventually but for now say hello to the first pics of many showcasing whats to come.

I have decided that instead of the head sliding back with the rest of the arm/trigger assembly, that it should fold inward and then collapse the upper torso downward over top of the abdomen section. im planning on using a program called Pepakura to make a 2D file where i will either use card stock and fiberglass resin to re-create the 3D figure or using styrene, which I hear is hard to cut, but would be cheaper than running out to get fiberglass resin when I ran out of the stuff, and would reduce the risk of thinks like skin cancer should I happen to get the goopy crap on me in some form.

As for scale im unsure of how big it will be, but bigger figure means more money and time, while smaller figure means more intricate parts and placing.

the goal of this project is to get as accurate to the Gen 1 cartoons as possible while still retaining my own artistic spin on things such as the arms, head and alt mode appearance.

Attached Files:

2. AutobotPunk 2.0

AutobotPunk 2.0 Well-Known Member

wrong thread bub

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    3-D Rendered Artwork go in Fan Art, so here we are!

If you end up making a physical project from this, just post a new thread in Customs. Certainly keep us posted on your work! Thanks for sharing :thumb 

4. Azurial

sorry bout that guys :)  but thanks for the move instead of an instaban :D 

but here is an update of the model as it is at present. I felt that scince i was going for an original peice that i didnt have to stick with the "traditional" G1 Megs and went for something with more of a Feudal Japanese look. Presenting Samurai Megatron!

also - if any one is curious as to what program i use for modeling its Milkshape 3d

all thats left to do is figure out trigger placement and do some test files. i have decided to do a Cardstock papercraft prototype and a styrene model.

Any advice on styrene cutting and where to get pins similar to the ones in the offical figures would be helpful

Attached Files:

5. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Looking good! Your project sounds interesting. So keep up the good job. :) 

6. Azurial

thank you - Just looked into 3d printing and shapeways is charging almost $280 for an (in bot mode) 8-9 in shell... how depressing...

7. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, Shapeways is great for small stuff. But for big figures, it can kill your project. My classics Steeljaw was going to cost $100 to make through shapeways. That basically put that project on hold. :lol 

One thing you can try to lower the cost for your part, is to hollow out parts, so they have 1mm thin walls. But that depends on how big the figure is too be.

8. Azurial

im planning about an 8inch figure but if i do end up cutting stuff out i might go with a foot to a foot and a half - sort of a hombrew rival to the MP Megs - did a test part out of an old plastic jug of some sorts (i think it was a canola bottle) and it seemed to have turned out okay, so once i get the funds together i may build 2.

any one know what styrene is going for typically per sheet? cant get a strait answer out of any of the local shops without actually going in and thats a trip i'd rather not make just to get a price on stuff... but i will look into chopping my model down the center to see if that helps any

9. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Styrene varies in price depending on thickness, and I haven't bought any in ages, so unfortunately I can't really help you with price. But for the record, it's not hard to cut at all; just keep scoring it with a sharp knife, and it'll go through, and if it's thick styrene, you can score partway through and just snap it the rest of the way.

Yeah, hollowing your design will make it a lot cheaper if you're looking to print it; Shapeways charge for the amount of material you use, so the bigger it is, the more it'll cost (although the price per cubic centimetre does halve after a certain size). One way of dealing with it might be to hand-craft what you can, and just use Shapeways to print the detailed areas, like the head and hands, for instance.

Love the design so far; those big shoulderpads are a cool way to deal with the transformation. Look forward to seeing this progress! :D 

Out of curiosity Venks, just how big is your Steeljaw design? My hexpod figures cost me less than a quarter of that, and they're designed to work with the same fig. You weren't looking at the steel prices, were you..? :p 

10. Azurial

thanks ram rider :) 

well i wnet and tried to hollow out the model but its gonna cost less to have the whole thing printed as 1 model than to have it printed as 2 halves at the current scale wich would but it in the neighborhood of 7.5 inches

just a quick update im going to start working on a fiberglass resin version soon so keep your eyes peeled )

Out of curiosity how did you manage to get your figures in shapeways so cheap? i cant for the life of me figure out how to take out the innards a bit more...

11. Azurial

after much thought i uplaoded the model as i had initially designed it and i am making it available to the public - please enjoy - if you choose to purchase it.

meg by azurial on Shapeways