Gen-1 Animated Series..Continued!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SamiWCP, Aug 1, 2007.

1. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Yup.

Onward and upward please.

You have Classics. You have IDW's comics. No more G1 please, I like it just how it is.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  2. killahbuny

killahbuny Well-Known Member

I think this is the biggest factor for me personally, the shivers down my spine when prime spoke in the movie just sums up Peter Cullens talent and hearing it week in week out on the show was love all the voice talent on the show just fantastic it really conveyed the story and moral of the show. I could listen to the old shows without animation and be happy.

also animation now is cheap just look at the rehashing of the transformation scenes throughout the unicron trilogy.

3. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I can't imagine that it would ever happen.

Cartoons are made to sell toys. If they have no Gen 1 toys to sell there will be no cartoon. The closest would be a classics cartoon, but even then Hasbro is only concerned about the current main lines of figures. As classics is a sub line, they will get no cartoon lovin.

4. killahbuny

if I could have took that laser shot for him back in 86 i would have :) 

5. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

I don't have the nostalgia aspect for Gen-1.. I was late coming to that..But, I can watch it today, and love it--I've tried the other series, and none of them get that feeling for it. Sure it has these life affirming little lessons to it, but..It had character. In those characters. This latest batch of stuff..I don't feel it with them. And I have tried--I wanted to get into it, so I'd have more to go to..But it hasn't happened. Gen-1 just has something that these ones do not. I don't see them later on doing some Classics Armada..Classics went back to Gen-1. Because that's where it's at.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would rather have straight to DVD mini movies like Smasher said, than poorly-produced episodes on television. In fact, I would very much prefer it. Bring on Superman/Doomsday, and mini G1 movies and Beast Wars mini movies.

7. killahbuny

yeah your deffinately right, one other thing which makes G1 work for me is the fact that it feels alot less like a commercial whereas the mordern stuff really feels shallow and empty.

but back on topic, one thing i would not want to see is G3 if they re-ran G1 in that way like they did with G2 it would make me cry........ alot!!!

8. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I would love an updated and detailed mini-series decicated solely to the events leading up to 'More than Meets the Eye' and the Transformers subsequent reawakening upon Earth.

9. killahbuny

oooh good idea I like that!! It would be much darker as it would be right in the middle of the cival war!

10. 04GHOST

04GHOST Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I would LOVE to see it too!! Only thing I would change would be for the characters to take on the forms of modern vehicles similar to the alternators line. Kind of like what happened in the comics (ex. Prowl as a Nissan 350 Z). That would be awesome! Especially with everything being "retro" now.

11. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

Another thing..Like when you watched that new animated clip from SDCC, everyone cheered when they saw the Dinobots..Again, here is another case where they go back to Ggen-1..Not make something all together new..A new Prime/leader, all new chaacters..They remake what was..But, it's all based off what was the original show. It could work. It's still out there.

12. Magelite

Magelite I make stupid look good

I could probably see a classics-based DVD movie that takes place in an 'Ultimate' G1 with the bots waking up, rather than pick up where G1 left off.

I'm all for it, especialy if it opens the doors for beast era movies and 07 animated spin-offs.

13. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I agree with what you said about Armada -specifically the first half.
    But television animation on a whole is at a higher standard than it has ever been.
    I am not talking about art style or character designs, but rather the quality of the animation. Truthfully, Armada was the last cartoon I saw that felt cheaply animated until the second half of the story anyway.

The voice acting of the original show was better because the actors all looked at each other and read their lines together. Further, the voices were recorded first.
    For the newer series the actors go into a studio by themselves and try to match the "lip flaps" of the animation. Don't get me wrong, Peter Cullen's Optimus Prime gives me chills in the theater, too. But compare Gary Chalk's performance in Beast Wars with his performance in Cybertron and you will see what I mean.

14. killahbuny

that would be awsome it could focus on cybertron during the time the earthbound TF's were in stasis and could show the rise of shockwave in there absence. Any autobots would be ragtag and underground in a similar way to the opening of MTMTE.

15. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    As much as I love G1 I don't think it would happen.

I'd love G1 Movies to come out. 1.5 to 2 hour epics in the G1 universe.

However by modern accounts, the car/jet styles are dated, the Teltran-1 computer with its modem is dated (skyspies are still very cool), Google earth makes the secret base dated, and sad as I am to say it, I think fighting over natural resources may be too political for todays cartoons. There is so much connectivity and surveillance available now compared to in the 80's that a cartoon approach to "robots in disguise" would be VERY hard.

Ultimately I'd love for there to be a creative time on par with Beast Wars and Marvel/Sunbrow producing animated cartoons (not CGI) in the G1 style. However I don't think it would ever be G1 again due to the dated origin and storylines.

16. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

I didn't get the chance to watch Transformers on it's first run. I wasn't even born yet! I did watch reruns when I was about 5, so I still get that nostalgic feel. And just because you came in late doesn't mean you don't have nostalgia for G1. The fact that you want to see it continue is in and of itself a feeling of nostalgia! Nostalgia is not defined by how long ago you watched a cartoon or how distant a memory. It's simply a yearning to relive a moment of time that has gone by. You came in late. So what? You might be just as emotionally attached to the show as anyone else on this board.

17. killahbuny

possibly more ive seen her tf underwear (not personally) now thats attachment ;) 

18. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

XD!

I want TF underwear... :( 

19. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

This is a VERY unfair comparison, not because of the difference in the time these shows were made but because of the differences of *where* the shows were made. RiD/A/E/C were all 'animes', they were made primarily for japanese audiences and featured things common to a lot of very popular kids shows there. Screaming out attack names, static images over flashing backgrounds, over the top transformations and gimmicky powerups, those are things you'll find in most Anime. As such, they're par for the course as far as kids anime goes. And this has a worse effect on the voice acting, as it's much harder to do because it has to be translated and re-synched in a completely different language. The wording, emotion and speechflow will just seem off as it's re-dubbing the show with an entirely new language.

But taking american made cartoons like JLU, the new TMNT, Ben 10 and so forth, all those shows have animation and fluidity that blow 80s cartoons away. As such, regardless of whether I like the style or not, the new TF cartoon will have *much* better fluidity and motion then the shows in the 80s. There are cartoons today that have great stories, voice acting and fluidity so it's not something that is 'unique' to the 80s. What makes those old shows so great is the nostalgia factor and over-the-top cheesiness that just makes things fun to watch.

20. killahbuny

yeah me too i just cant squeez into kids cloths anymore :(  ive just entered the comp for curtains and bed clothes though :)