Gears of F'n War!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by 03Mach1, Nov 8, 2006.

1. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

Anyone tried it online yet? I was fairly decent at BF2 on the PC and not too bad at Halo, but I get my ass kicked with these fast little deathmatches. Gonna take serious practice for me to be any good online.

2. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've been playing with some of the same guys I played with on Halo 2. The one life best out of the 5 rounds takes some getting used to. My best suggestion is play the campaign a little more before jumping into the online play. I've found for myself it's helped me to better learn the controls.

3. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

Sounds like good advice, contols definitely take some getting used.

4. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

All good man, everyone always just takes off running anyway
    Rather let them get shot first to see where the snipers are coming from :lol 

Man the more I play it, the more natural I feel with it's take cover gameplay. It's starting to get really addictive

5. Chaos Muffin

Anyone know who that is singing in the (Mad world) trailer?

Ive heard that tune before but can't nail who it is. Remember hearing it in Donnie Darko Love that vid

Edit: NM just googled . It's a Tears for Fears song covered by Michael Ashley

Tried playing online again (did good the other day) but had my ass handed to me this time :lol 

6. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    Hey Chaos you noob.... it's Gary Jules who does the Mad World cover. Yes from Donnie Darko.

My GT is Zaarin. I'm loving this game.

7. lancer0000

lancer0000 Well-Known Member

I beat this game last night, and it did turn out to be a pretty short game. Guess i'll just have to play through again on the next difficulty level. Still one of the best games for 360 so far.

8. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I finished in Co-Op last night. It did end rather abruptly. It felt closed but I thought I had another act to go, and the final act was shorter than the rest.

Now I need to beat it on insane and get all the COG tags. I'm decent at versus but somethings seem left to chance (also every time I chainsaw someone I get chainsawed from behind).

9. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

Can someone please explain to me why there has been so much excitement for this game? Sure it looks pretty, but we'll have plenty of pretty games for this generation. Otherwise it doesn't look all that different from other shooters.

10. seven

Its completley different then most shooters. It uses a cover system thats been used before but does it much better. The theme is pretty cool as well as is the whole backstory to the game. It has a ton of oh shit moments and a lot of great I cant believe I just did that moments as well. There hasn't been anything like this as far as multiplayer either and the Co op is actual Co Op and hot swappable (meaning anyone can join or quit without interupting the game if you play within the Co Op option) through the whole game (and not like Perfect Dark's where it just throws the random chick in some missions). Using the chainsaw bayonet makes you feel like a badass (especially since getting close usually means death). It has that tactical feel but not so much that it alienates straight shooter fans.

11. lancer0000

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!spoiler alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like the one at the Marcus's fathers house, when your leaving with the information about the tunnel network and you have to make it to the APC before that Gigantic creature destroys it. That thing had some huge guns too.

12. Chaos Muffin

Question and possible Spoiler....

Found 2 out of 3 dogtags on the train, but can't find the last one.
    Anyone know if it's found before fighting RAMM? Or is it located on the same traincar as RAMM?
    It's the last one I need

I tried to ask this at gamefaqs, but the site went down for aintenance as soon as I tried to submit it. Probably would'nt have gotten a serious answer anyway

13. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Way, way too short.

14. seven

Train Wreck
    COG Tag 28 - It's on the left side of the 5th train car, after the last
    door is opened.

COG Tag 29 - in the third passenger car on the right, before you go
    up the ladder.

COG Tag 30 - There's a room on the left side of the fifth and final car
    in the third part of the train. It's at the end of that room.

If you played it on casual then it is violently short. It last a bit longer on hardcore since the fire fights take longer (harder to kill and more come from the emergence holes). I just started casual to finish up the COG tags I needed and it feels like a different game since you dont have to worry about cover very much.

Edit: I've started co op in insane being the 2nd player (so I can get the Dom achievements). Its not really hard if you get the emergence holes closed and watch your ammo. I've only beaten Act 1 so far on insane (and I dread the APC part killing the bat things) but it wasn't a lot more difficult than Hardcore was.

15. Chaos Muffin

Thanks seven. I ended up finding it right after I posted. It was in a room I missed.

About to try the hardcore out , then insane. This seems to be one of those games that was made to play on the harder difficulty.

Only part Im dreading is where you have about 30 seconds to get to the APC before that thing destroys it. I kept killing the 2 big guys then dying on the normal setting. Finally just said F it an ran through them all without taking a shot, and still barely made it. Was also hoping we'd get to fight that thing, but it was just a tease. RAAM turned out to be pretty easy. Just kept throwing grenades at him when he was shielded, and sniped him when he set the bats loose. Never even moved from the first concrete slab.

I guess they knew the game was short so they gave us a 10,000 online kill achievment to shoot for.

16. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have no plans of getting a 360 for a very long time if ever, so I hope this somehow gets a PS3 port later on, or at least one for PC. It wouldn't be the first "exclusive" game to later get ported over elsewhere.

17. seven

Its an Epic IP but its published by Microsoft Game Studios. I'd go for a sequel on other consoles but the first will most likley stay a 360 (and pc which has been rumored) exclusive.

18. lancer0000

I died about twice before I rushed past him and used that turret mounted machine gun on his butt. He died an extremely fast death. HEHEHEH

19. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I keep seeing the promos for this game on TV, and I want it badly. Hopefully my wife will love me enough for Xmas...

20. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

Unlikely, even if they have to work out a deal like they've got with Bioware to work as a 2nd party developer. Truthfully, I think you'll find Epic on MGS' list of soon to be 1st party developers. They need to jump on the deal before EA beats them to the punch.