GD-99 Aquarion impressions

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Knightdramon, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    I'm sure many of you have spotted the hot 129.99 USD pre-order for this obscure, rare, die-cast goodness of a mecha at BBTS.

The "September release" pre-order arrived at them today and I'm very curious as to how the figure fares-can any owner of this figure elaborate?

Thanks in advance

2. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you want it, prepare to do a lot of work tightening the joints. The engineering is amazing, and it looks awesome, but it's got a bizarre jointing system going on, and combined with the huge amount of joints on the thing, it's floppy as all hell.

Although, being a September re-release, it's probably being brought out again in response to the new OVA for the series. And I remember hearing that there were some upgrades planned for a version 2, that coincided with the Mass Produced repaint, that would make the joints sturdier. I think that with the timespan between this release and the original, this is probably a sure-fire way to make sure you've gotten the upgraded version. It's also about $70 cheaper than it was originally, if BBTS keeps that price.

Thanks for the heads up on that. I'll be watching that, because I've kinda been thinking about updating mine, being stuck with the older version and all.

3. Knightdramon

News Credits:
    Sorry, I've got to make sure I get a near perfect figure for that amount of cash.

Fixing minor issues is almost always the case with re-releases, but is there any way to know if mine is a "fixed" version? You suppose I got extra stock sitting in a warehouse for years or got one of the newer items?

Thanks for the swift reply man

4. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

If BBTS is doing it as a pre-order that won't arrive until September, it'll be new stock. If they found old stock in a warehouse somewhere, they'd have it fairly soon, and they aren't ones to dink around with selling old stock as new product without saying up front "warehouse find" or something like that.

5. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The floppy joints were the main reason why I passed up on the toy although I have to admit that the engineering on the toy is pretty good!

6. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    I've got the military version, and I have had no problems with it whatsoever. True, it's large, heavy and ungainly, some of the modes do require the stand, but the thing looks completely bad, and it's deviously complex.

7. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    A toy that can't be posed without a stand is not worthy of purchase in my opinion. They should have come up with a better design from the start.

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the Aquarion is not "obscure".

9. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Wait, they recieved it already?!?!? Mine still shows on pre-order...not that I'd complain getting it early, but I hadn't budgetted for it yet...

10. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Definitely want it but the lack of standing ability makes it much less desirable.

11. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

I actually sold my Assault Aquarion a few months ago but the preorder price on the Hero version is TOO good to pass up. I paid $179 + shipping back then too.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

A very intricate design that's chalk full of imaginary stuff. It's the cream of the crop for transformable mecha fans. But as many have said before you gotta be a magician trying to get the Aquarion to stand on it's own.

The diecast content is somewhat minimal. All in all it's a great Kawamori design.

13. Knightdramon

News Credits:
    Seems to be able to stand on its own in some galleries I've found.

To Dragonclaw-when I e-mailed them about it, they said that they received some earlier stock and if I want to receive my order later, I should just cancel it and re-order, as that would move me at the end of the line. I probably pre-ordered mine before you did.

14. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    Does each robot use all 3 components or just 2 at a time?

15. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    That makes sense. I orderred a day or two after the E-mail saying it was coming back out...and by then I know a LOT of people who jumped...especially at that price :) 

16. shifty02

shifty02 Greetings Programs

All 3 components combine to form each of the 3 different robots.
    IE- Each of the components can become the legs, torso, back to make the 3 different robots.

17. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I've got the dark recolor version (the one pictured above). It's a frickin' nightmare of joints and hinges and panels. I got it because it's complex, but when it takes an hour to switch modes, that's just too much.

I was also a bit let down by the add-on parts, like the chrome wing parts and foot parts for one of the modes.

It's a really nice figure, but I haven't dared touch it again since I tried all the modes. It took the better part of a day to get it into all of them carefully.

18. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I believe the toy is -now- designed to not require a stand, as of that darker military version. I heard that Bandai was special-ordering new parts for the original Aquarion that allowed it to stand by itself.

Either way, we'll hopefully see that improvement fully implemented on the rerelease. :D 

19. Knightdramon

News Credits:
    I'm still puzzled as whether to have mine shipped or cancel it and re-order it in order to guarantee I'm getting a ver 2.0 instead of old stock...

20. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    I wonder how it's complex. When I look at the pictures, it looks fairly simple...