garage sales: fine art or game of luck?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Im No Hero, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Im No Hero

Im No Hero ze best reader

News Credits:
    ok so im going garage saling in my development tommorow and im hoping to find some tfs for cheap so i was just curious. wat are your experiences in the past looking for tfs at garage sales. what have been yor best hauls etc.

2. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I'm about a month away from doing this. Have a few projects to do on the house, but I've been pretty curious to see what might be out there too.

3. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I've had no luck with yard sales whatsoever as well as Craigslist.

I plan on hitting up some flea markets though.

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Usually, I think the chances of finding something good and getting a good price for it are a bit on the high side when it comes to garage sales. They're like flea markets condensed into a neighborhood, but usually the people selling the stuff aren't as aware of the value of say, a working complete 1980's Sky Lynx (both the plane half and the motorized cat half), and you can get some good bargains on some hard to find figures (although in most cases, you'll need to track down the missing parts and/or ways to restore the figure if you so desire).

I myself have only ever found one TF at a garage sale: Cybertron Dirt Boss, a little beat up and missing the key, but he was only 50 cents so I snatched him up. Others on the boards, however, have found some amazing hauls.

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I've never found anything good at garage sales, but I have found some gems at flea markets.

6. Deadboy

Deadboy Well-Known Member

I've also never turned up anything of interest at tag sales, but I did find some good stuff at a flea market, and my local comic book/thrift shop worked as a middleman to sell me a huge lot of good condition G1 stuff for $200.

7. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    Garage Sales=massive crap shoot.

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Garage sales are always a crapshoot, though you can maximize your chances by looking at

1) What else is being sold. Baby toys, furniture only? Probably no good. See other action figures, increased chance for TFs.
    2) Age of people selling. Are they too young to have kids? Probably won't find anything. See kids or teenagers? Maybe they liked TFs.

You're most likely to find stuff thats only a few years old, and it'll predominantly be junkers, but every once in a while if you keep your eyes open you find a gem.

9. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

matter of luck

10. Master_Maximus

Master_Maximus Unicron's Headmaster

I agree, a matter of luck but the tips above from Aernaroth are a very good rule of thumb.

Granted, before the internet garage sales were the only way to find figures you missed if you were in a small town. Back in the 80's and 90's that's how I got most of the Technobots, Stunticons, Blaster, and the first wave of Beast Wars. Heck, a while back I even managed to score an RID Magnus only missing his missiles for a buck.

11. Mojom

Mojom Member

I've only ever found KO G2 figs myself, missing limbs and accessories.

Garage sells are pretty much just a small game of luck. You don't lose anything if you don't find anything you want, after all.

12. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

I think it depends on what your time is worth to you, and how much you enjoy it. If you're not having a good time, or you could be putting in some extra hours at work and picking up spare cash to buy what you'd like, don't bother.

13. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    File under Results Not Typical: I was out of town on vacation about a year ago, found a local comic book store, and while inside I noticed a sign advertising a garage sale in the area that had Transformers. I found the place and lo and behold, the guy owned just about every toy that had come out since RID and a few older ones, and he was selling them CHEAP. (He was moving and had to unload stuff fast.) Leader-class figures for $10, Deluxes were, like, 3 for $5, Scout-class & smaller may even have been $1 a pop, I can't remember.

Now, all the figures were loose and many were incomplete (missing missiles and Cyber Keys mostly), as his collection was spread out among at least six heaping-full storage bins and he told me he had more in the house. He wrote down what I bought, what they were missing and promised me he'd send me the missing pieces when he found them. Naturally, I never heard from him again. But who cares? I picked up a dozen figures I hadn't wanted to pay retail for or couldn't find, including Energon Ultra Magnus. I even found a G2 Terradive.

So the moral is, HAUNT garage sales. I felt like I had won the lottery that day. And all because the guy had the presence of mind to advertise his sale in a place where interested buyers were likely to see it.

14. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Keep in mind it's very hit or miss so don't get your hopes up but definitely get there as early as possible and if you don't see anything ask if there's something they haven't put out yet.

For the most part I would assume it's more recent stuff if it's stuff from kids. But if you manage to buy from a mid-30s guy then you may be able to find some G1 steals.

15. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    pure luck, but careful reading of the ads for them can help you cut out the ones that are the least likely to have any TF or Toys at all.

as for myself my luck has been nothing but craptacular XD

16. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Ahhhh Garage Sales. Everytime I see one, I stop & take a look. Just incase. & every time I find nothing. Diddly squat. :/

Surely there are people out there who've been storing a Fort Max in their basement for 20 odd years, totally forgotten about it, are now moving & will take anything for it? I'll give you $20. Take it or leave it. :D 

17. underwear-ninja

underwear-ninja Eats Gobots for breakfast

Luck, but can be oh-so-rewarding when the luck comes your way. Complete, boxed (not sealed) Optimal Optimus AND Rampage for $5? YES!

18. Im No Hero

Im No Hero ze best reader

News Credits:
    so today came and went and after a few hours a come across a clue. a three year old kid playing with an armada airraid (damn i wanted him!) so i sk the parents were they got it. they tell me a couple houses down so after about fifteen mre mnutes i find the houe most of there stuff is already gone bbut there were two junkers left a fab jaz missing his entire roof assembly and a rotf soundwve misssing a leg a wing and his missle they were both in horrible shape but i bout them both for a quarter.

19. Riltht

Riltht Full-Time Doomsayer

It's all hit or miss. I've gained some finds from ones that weren't advertised, like a really nice condition G1 Predacon Tantrum, no weapons or accessories, but for hardly no paint or sticker wear, it was a steal for a dollar. Generally more miss then hit though.

20. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    Here in ETX I always run up on atleast 1 or 2 transformers every 2 or 3 weeks,one time I
    actually found a storage box full of TF's and I go to ask the guy how much and he said
    $5, I drew out the $5 so quick you'd think I was a magician that it appeared so fast.And
    95% of them were complete and did I mention they were all G1.I kept all of them and sold
    my junky ones as these were close to mint as you could get.So to those people who don't
    find anything at garage sales,maybe you should go early,before the sale even starts,thats
    what I do to get good stuff.