Gamestop question... When is a game used?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by chrisr291, Dec 24, 2010.

1. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Is a Video Game used once the wrapper is removed or after its put into a gaming system?

Gamestop just tried to sell me opened copies of COD Black Ops and AC Brotherhood today at full price:confused: . Which I refused since that isn't new to me and if your going to sell new "used" games, they could of at least knocked a couple of bucks off.

After a small discussion, the guy told me these are the last copies they have, so its opened or nothing (still at full price). So I just happened to look over the counter and noticed a TON of Black Ops/Brotherhood copies SEALED on the floor. Which I promptly pointed out and he gave up, I brought the sealed copies and was on my way:D 

Normally I wouldn't care, I love buying games second hand off craigslist, half.com, and ebay for the discount (64 Vs 40 and zero tax? No brainer). However, these games are gifts and at full price, I want that little plastic cover:2c: 

So.... was it wrong to fight for the sealed games or should I have just brought the opened "NEW" copies?

2. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    well to me once the plastic is off it used as far as games go. If I am buying a game as new I want to be the one to unseal it.

Sounds like to me he was trying to get those unsealed copies sold at new prices so they would not have to mark them down. perhaps at the urging/orders of his higher ups or company policy.

3. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    If you ever buy "new" games at Gamestop, ALWAYS ask for a "new/sealed copy". They open their new games and keep the discs behind the counter in drawers. They are technically new, since they are just pulled straight from the case and placed there in sleeves. The newer "used" games (like used copies of Black Ops) are usually $5 cheaper than the new/sealed. I believe they do this to keep discs from being stolen.

I don't like that way of selling things though. To me, "new" is sealed and untouched by them. If I buy new, I want to break that seal. If you're looking for new, they will always try to sell the opened new copies before the sealed. Just remember to ask for new/sealed and they should give you just that, without the hassle.

Just passing this along after years of experience in buying/trading/selling with them (never worked there).

Which version of Black Ops did you get? PS3 or Xbox 360?

4. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the heads up hXcpunk23! I'll have to keep that in mind next time I buy a game from there. BTW, its for ps3, add me if you wanna play:thumbs2: 

5. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    I would've put up a major stink about the selling of used games as new, while there's sealed games being hidden behind the counter.

6. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    This, basically. I'd have been compelled to be an ass about it.

Also, I wonder if they'd give you full price on a game traded in still in the wrapper. I have a couple of xbox 360 games I never opened (got em with the console), I wonder if they'd pay me the price as new and sell them as new, or pay the price of trade in (something in the single digits, I'd wager) and THEN sell them as new (making at least £20 profit each).

What a wonderful experiment to test exactly how big a jerks these guys are! :D 

Although, If they turned out to be the type of jerks I suspect they are, I'd be tempted to go in, ask the price, recieve it, then tear open the wrapper in front of them and then sell it in.

:D 

They'd still have to pay me the same price, but less profits for them.

Sorry for the massively off topic stream of thoughts... :D 

7. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    I dont think theyll take games thatre unopened. I think its a thing to make sure someone doesnt steal a bunch from some other store and bring them to Gamestop to hock them.

8. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

He tried selling you a "gutted" copy. A new game where the case has been used for display. Some state was trying to get these classified as used software but I don't think it went any where. There's also the potential that it has been used as Gamestop allows "check outs" of games. There are rules about new releases/hot sellers but most stores are pretty lax about following them. It's also pretty crappy that he tried sholveling off those copies on you when they had sealed copies in eye sight.

@Creaky
    Some stores will take them but you only get trade in value, not retail. Most stores will atleast make you go outside and open them first. As said above, it's to prevent and avoid knowingly taking stolen property.

Most retailers have a lax return policy during the holidays, you could always try the Best Buys/Targets/Walmarts.

9. PropaneProphet

PropaneProphet Well-Known Member

I have a gamestop related question, how long could they hold a game for me over Christmas? Would it be carried over till the 26th since I presume they are closed tomorrow?

10. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

They'll generally hold a game for 48 hours if it's a preorder. If you just want a game held then it's going to be up to whom ever you talk to.

11. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I kinda like Gamestop as a store, but this kind of stuff the OP speaks of, along with used copies of games that don't have instruction booklets or the original case, irritate me.

I think it's OK for a used game not to have the original case or instruction booklet, but how dare they sell it for the same price as copies of the same game that do? For instance, say they have used copies of Assassin's Creed II, two with all their stuff, and two without, the ones that have all their stuff should be the regular used price, the ones missing their crap should be a bit cheaper in my view.

Having a used game cost the same no matter what condition the packaging is in seems crappy to me.

12. Airspeed

Airspeed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Brilliant, I would love to see what the reaction to that is.

Or open it stuff the Instruction manual in your pocket and Trade it in.

13. CommandoNinja13

CommandoNinja13 Marvel vs Capcom!

own it for a week