Gamespot sucks at ratings!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by the_riesen, Nov 18, 2006.

1. the_riesen

the_riesen INDY COLTS SBXLI-Champs TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Some of you may have already thought this for a long time.

I recently just realized how bad they are at making fair ratings.

Perfect Dark zero got a 9.0 which earns it a gold medal.

The new zelda game got an 8.8 and Resistace FOM got an 8.6

Now these games may be completly insanely different, but they are both seen as killer apps.

Perfect dark imo is not a killer app....

Aww well, just have to trust adam sessler and the crew at G4 more ofton.

www.gamespot.com needs to find a better system of rating

2. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

Gamespot, to me, sucks period. Why should I pay a fee to get content that I can get for free from everywhere else? It's a ripoff.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Adam and Morgan have never reviewed a game in their lives. they read reviews from a staff of writers, whose goals are just to make it entertaining even if they have to trash a perfectly good game.

One of the writers has a blog somewhere where he talks about making his "puppet" (morgan webb) dance.

4. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Gamespot gave Mario Kart 64 a 6.4 back in the day. Be weary of them.

5. Menasor

Menasor Jibba Jabberin' Automod

I've never been a big fan of theirs and seeing that Zelda review only substantiates my claims. From what everybody is saying about the game then it deserves around 9.8. Then again I'm probably just another biased Zelda fan

6. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

Fawk Gamespot.

They can now kiss my ass for all I care.

7. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Is it really that important that some schmucks rate a game as high, or higher, than some other group of schmucks?

Honestly, when I look at a game review, I'll take into account the scores it received from all the major outlets. I won't rely solely on just one website's score.

8. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Always thought they were too harsh on game reviews. Their reviewers think they know it all and will give a perfect game a score of 8 just so they can try to turn a nitpick flaw into something bigger to complain about.

They're not all bad though, their reviews are long and cover alot of detail.
    They just need to get off that gamer god pedestal that they like to put themselves on.

Perfect Dark Zero is actually a damn good game and even better LIVE. But many like to compare it to the old Perfect Dark too much. It does feel a little rushed though and wished they spent a few more months developing it.

I like reading their reviews for the info, but I depend more on EGM, Game Informer and a few other places for their feedback.

9. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Gamespot sucks at life...it's only natural that they would suck at rating games too.

10. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

You also got to take in the reviewers preferences. I had a damn good time with PD0 ( I have a damn good time with any Co Op game) and enjoyed it a lot more than people's reviews said I should have.

I enjoy the Zelda games and think they're pretty good but they can never hold my interest from beginning to end so I probably would have rated that lower than PD0 as well. I prefer EGM's style of three man reviews where you can have drastically differing opinions and get a broader range of what people think of the games.

As for Mario Kart (or any Mario Sports game), I would always give that an average review until they learn how to code AI. Sure they're fun in multiplayer but as myself and my friends have gotten older, and grown into our adult lives, its gotten harder to get together and do nothing but play games for hours.

11. Emperor Megatron

Emperor Megatron Something goes here

The guy that reviewed Zelda:TP at Gamespot also reviewed Zelda:OOT and give it a 10. It's shocking.

It seems that if the sound was better, Zelda:TP would have made 9.0 or higher. The guy seems to hate the fact that they're not using voice over work and that the music is pretty much the same music that has been in Zelda games since it was first created on the NES. IGN's review said similar things but they gave it a 9.5.

12. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

also, everyone says Zelda has been of the most wanted/popular game for a while now yet on their top 10 of all systems, Zelda was no where there (this was a few months ago)...there were 10 other games they claimed were more popular. hmm...

13. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

The scores mean shit. Don't pay attention to them. READ the reviews and consider the points they make. The Zelda review makes a good point about the familiar gameplay, and I understand why they knock it down a bit for that. But, for me, I want to play a Zelda game precisely BECAUSE of that familiar gameplay. So what was a negative for them is a positive for me.

And unless you have played the new Zelda (my guess is you haven't), how can you fault them for their score? It is equally likely - hell, it is MORE likely- that a lethal combination of hype and nostalgia are causing other reviewers to inflate the game's score.

14. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Could it just be that Zelda just isn't all that anymore?

:O

15. Menasor

Menasor Jibba Jabberin' Automod

I dont buy games based on reviews anyways. For most games I buy them based on previous games in that series or I rent the game and try it out. Reviews are nice so you can get a feel for some of the pros and cons in a game. They're by no means a way to decide whether to buy something or not they're just one persons interpretation of their experience and its a way to let people know what they're getting themselves into.

16. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Oh no you didn't!

17. Jesus

Jesus Destroyer of Scudsy

Spot on. They complain that the series just hasn't taken any large steps since Ocarina, and while that's true and reasonable to subtract points for, it's not necessarily a bad thing. Zelda: TP is supposed be the perfection of the 3D Zelda in the way we know it and last of what it's supposed to be in it's current form. The Devs have been pushing that since the beginning of development.

And the reviewer doesn't just complain about the sound. While obviously a crappy speaker or turning it off and no sound would ruin the atmosphere, that probably wasn't the main reason for the subtraction. He does complain about the controls being just another way of playing while sometimes being less precise at times. But really, he gave the game a perfectly fine score. Really, this review has gotten so much shit that it's ridiculous. There's actually a thread on Neogaf with a bunch of fanboys actually attempting to find out Jeff Gerstmanm's address. People really read into the score too much and need to start reading the actual review. The guy goes into a fair amount of detail.

Honestly, the review has put me off from the Wii version, but at this point, unless I really aren't getting the Wii till somewhere near early December(which I highly doubt) i'll probably dive into the Wii version. Nintendo just has the launch set up far too well.

18. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Agreed.

I don't often read reviews, but when I do I find that the actual content of the review is more valuable than an overall number.

19. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    I do the same.
    In the end, reviews are merely glorified opinons, and one's personal bias are often different from anothers

I DO see the point Gamespot is making: that despite the new control scheme, the game really isn't that different from OoT which was released nearly a decade ago, and considering the many advances in music, sound, and presentation, much less the improved hardware and extra storage space, the reviewer found it lacking.

Now, 8.8 is certainly nothing to scoff at in light of Gamespot's usually tough reviews

20. Emperor Megatron

Emperor Megatron Something goes here

Well, this Zelda was meant for Gamecube originally.

It's only 1 review. If you let your game buying habits be dictated by them, you're a fool. You really need to judge the game yourself.