Gamespot on Transformers: The Game

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sol Fury, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Read the whole article here.

I'll post the highlights here:

- You'll have the choice of controlling either [faction] in the game. There are nine transformers in total--Bumblebee, Optimus Prime, Jazz, and Ironhide for the Autobots, and Megatron, Starscream, Blackout, Scorponok, and Barricade for the Decepticons.

- While the movie will focus on human characters in addition to the bots, Traveller's Tales chose to omit the earthlings from the game to provide as pure an experience as possible for fans.

- Locations include scenes from the Movie, as well as some "treats" for fans.

- The combat system features an automatic lock-on system, meaning you can focus on individual enemies for attack, although this can be disabled to make the game more difficult if necessary. However, combat is only half of the story in this Transformers game, with driving and flying around a wide-open area making up much of the gameplay. While we didn't get to see any of the airborne vehicles in action, the team says that it has kept the same arcade-style sensibilities for this aspect of the game, with the focus being on air-to-air combat as opposed to what you might find in a flight sim. This means that you won't be able to fly too high, but with each of the seven different environments running up to two and a half miles in size, there should still be plenty to explore.

- Most objects are there to be thrown, right down to the mechanical limbs that can be removed from your robotic enemies.

- The story will follow that of the movie, but you will be given the choice to play as the Autobots or the Decepticons from the start.

- There's a morality issue in the game that depends on which side you choose to play as, with Autobots rewarded for good deeds and Decepticons for general mayhem and destruction. For example, Autobots are encouraged to destroy drones and complete mission objectives, as well as perform extreme stunts in the driving mode, which all add up to points at the end of each level. The current onscreen meter is being redesigned for final release, but one thing that should be familiar to players is the star-based "wanted" level, which indicates how much government heat you're currently generating. The system is currently set with police at the basic level and goes right through to the military, but the designers say that the ultimate threat is the sector-seven police.

- Many of the missions will involve destruction and melee combat, but others will be point-to-point races that demand driving skill while firing rockets at opponents.

- Fans will be pleased to hear that Peter Cullen, the voice of Optimus Prime, has contributed to the game, and the developers also promise that fans of the original Transformers robots will be well catered for.

- In addition, the smaller enemies that we saw in the city have been developed by Activision but are already being lined up for sale as a line of toys by Hasbro. [Non Movie character toys like Wreckage? - Sol]

And, in response to CVG's criticism the other day:

- Many of the main elements of the game are still being ironed out, particularly in terms of the artificial intelligence, physics, and fighting systems. The physics that we saw on the Xbox 360 demo were based on the PlayStation 2 engine, but they are being ported up to take better advantage of Microsoft's triple-processor-based console. This means that the collision between objects should be much more realistic, and the driving engine should benefit, as well. The AI also promises to be much more sophisticated, with enemies taking cover and climbing up objects to reach you if you run away.

I'm getting very excited now. Sounds like it'll do the franchise proud.

2. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    [Non Movie character toys like Wreckage? - Sol]

doubtful

wreckage looks more like he was an unused concept from a previous transformers line, rather than developed by activision

3. Wiggyof09

Wiggyof09 Well-Known Member

He looks like he fits the movie line to me. Same kind of look to the legs and head and such. It's possible he was designed by activision, or is just a character they decided not to use in the movie. He doesn't look like a left ver from a previous line though.

4. Magelite

Magelite I make stupid look good

What? No playable Ratchet, Brawl or Bonecrusher? I would have loved to just tear through waves of humans as Brawl :( 

5. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    well dont forget that there will be unlockable characters in the game, including g1 characters.

im hoping for g1 lazerbeak myself haha :) 

6. grock35

grock35 Hmmmm...

News Credits:
    can't wait to see the ps3 trailer for this

7. nogga_nootch

nogga_nootch 1

Ebay:
    and with xbox live the possibility to download new ones as well as unlock them

8. Turnpike

Turnpike Brawl is my bee-otch

I can't wait for the 360 version!! Replacing the game's music with the TF Movie (80's version) soundtrack will rule!

SWEET!! I wonder how this will effect the enemies.. Probably will only be able to do this when they're down and destroyed..

Really hyped for the game, can't wait to download a possible demo for the 360!

9. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

Okay... am I reading too much into this or does it mean that most (if not all) of the bots with have rocket launchers?! WaHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

10. CSpuppydog

CSpuppydog Well-Known Member

oh man... I just cannot wait for this game!

11. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Xbox 360 envey :(  Well, maybe (well) after Botcon :D 

12. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Cannon fodder enemies = Decepticlones?

This fan is pleased to hear that! :thumb !

13. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Can't wait to see any kind of trailer for this!:D 

In the leaked script Barricade had missile launchers, so I don't see why not. :D 

14. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

this sounds good, but i hope it doesn't suffer too much from the movie to game syndrome.

my hope is that its better than the armada ps2 game. if so, i'm sold.

15. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Man, this sounds even better than I had hoped! Odd that you can play as Scorponok, though-- how does THAT work? I figured Brawl would have been a shoe-in instead. Looks awesome, though-- I can't wait to run-n-gun!

16. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I hope they follow through with the PC version that was listed originally.

17. † Sunstorm

† Sunstorm Sunstorm member 1

it seems this was the only thing i was looking forward to when it comes to the movie :p 

18. † Sunstorm

† Sunstorm Sunstorm member 1

who need missile launchers when we got these laser lookers? or heat16 plasma rays?

19. ElekTriC

ElekTriC Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    w00t :D  :D  nice

20. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why don't you go ask a large percentage of the G1 characters.
    They had missile launchers.