Games you've genuinely become addicted to?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Recall, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Video Games we all love them, some to a bigger extent than others but which titles have had you virtually wrapped around their little finger?

I'm gonna go with the obvious one first and get World of Warcraft out of the way, it is like crack. Those who say it isn't are in denial. I worked, came home played it, dreamt about it, wish I was playing while doing other things, became gear obsessed, gold obsessed, couldn't spend any time apart from reading up on it while at work etc etc. Day in and day out usually until 5am in the morning with work in 5 hours time for over a year - I've now being clean of it since November last year and i'm glad :) 

Then for the obscure title i'm going with Baton Kaitos for the Gabecube. As a RPG it wasn't the best but something about it really captivated me and found its way in being the only game I wanted to play for almost 4 months solid. Maybe it was the total offbeat combat system and how it never felt like the same fight twice or wanting to find every single little insignificant side quest. who knows but I sure felt addicted, especially when I look back and see how much time I put into it.

Any other games people have found addictive and honestly couldn't put down?

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

PSO, Street Fighter IV, City of Heroes, Halo 2... a ton from my yoof including Super Mario Kart and Street Fighter II.

:( 

3. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sims on the PC when it first hit
    Final Fantasy VII I almost lost my wife to this game Many, Many fights over this one
    Super Mario World amazed my SNES did not melt from the hours and hours played
    Zelda II on the NES my mom was worried about me spend so much time playing she took it while I was at school and hid it from me for 3 weeks.

4. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

historically its always been fighting games, DOA4 was the first online fighter i played, and i got seriously hooked for about a year. back in the day FF7 of course, and recently SF4. Blazblue looks to be getting its claws into me as well...

5. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Syndicate, Flashback, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, Sonic the Hedgehog, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy XII, Metal Gear Solid, Tekken 2+3, Lotus III: Ultimate Challenge, Wipeout 2097, Thunderforce IV, Street Fighter II, Twisted Metal 2, Resident Evil

6. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

oh shit metal gear!

7. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    City of Heroes - I've always wanted to play it as it sounds fantastic but feared getting hooked again on a mmo.

One of my old friends was seriosuly hooked on that game, and once it was finished a new save was created and she did it all over again. For myself I could never get very far into it - I generally blow at mario games :`(

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  8. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

You would have probably been fine up to the point where they added loot. To be perfectly honest the game has gone further and further downhill since they added it. My account is up in August, I am not renewing.

9. MunseMan

MunseMan Chuck Testa

News Credits:
    smg, only 4 more stars till luigi and ssb:brawl beat it

10. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    TF2, RotF, Battlefield:1943, etc.

11. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

Super Mario Kart
    Super Mario RPG
    MK trilogy
    Pokemon series.

12. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From the old days, Double Dragon series, River City Ransom. Madden since day 1 to today, ROTF, Call of Duty.

13. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Battlefield 1942. I played that game atleast 3 hours daily for 3 years straight. I tend to get headaches if I play a game for more than an hour but not with 42 for some reason. I still play it a few times a week. I would harass the local Eb employess for the expansion packs, back then they never had a date set in stone. I'd call up when ever a date came up that they should have been out. Stalking BF: Vietnam was just as bad, but that pos ultimatley turned me off of the BF games for a short while.

Battlefield 2: Special Forces. Special Forces added a grappling hook and zip line to some of the kits. I started having dreams of me playing that game.

Mortal Kombat II. I've, at various points, owned just about every version available. I now own the actual arcade unit.

14. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Suikoden definitely tops the list. I played it so much my Playstation stopped recognizing other discs...which led to me playing it even more, until I could afford to replace the system.

Others, more or less chronological...
    Pac-man
    Pitfall 2
    Super Mario Bros
    Mike Tyson's Punch Out
    Strider
    Street Fighter 2
    Castlevania Symphony of the Night
    Final Fantasy VII
    Metal Gear Solid
    Tekken 2
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 & 2
    SOCOM 2
    Portal
    Fallout 3

15. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

World of Warcraft
    Zelda games
    Phoenix Wright games
    Harvest Moon games
    Kingdom Hearts games
    Final Fantasy VII/X

16. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I've enjoyed playing lots of series (sometimes spending more time than I really should on them). However, as a true addiction only one series can claim that: Civilization.

Dammit... now I want to play it again. Just when you think you have kicked the habit... :( 

17. Whitefire78

Whitefire78 Well-Known Member

Quantum of solace PS3 and Maybe Transformers revenge of the fallen they are both Really fun.

18. ShockWave_AZ

ShockWave_AZ Shock and Awe

News Credits:
    I played COV from the time they released it until they added the loot system ... I cancelled my account and never went back. The game felt like it was trying to be something it wasnt after they added loot and auction houses.

I have been seriously addicted to the first Knights of the Old Republic. I got into MANY fights with the gf at the time cause I was waaaaayy into KOTOR. This is why I cant wait till KOTOR the MMO.

19. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Same, I got WoW at release and was getting home from work at 5 and playing through to 11 every night, and all weekend. Quit a while after the release of Burning Crusade, got WotLK when Woolies shut down and I got it for £3 haha, played for another month but was bored. Yeah. Shit for addiction.

20. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Any Pokemon (mainline) game, and I was completely addicited to Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker & Phantom Hourglass the first time I played them.