Games that need a Perfect edition

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by flamepanther, Feb 8, 2008.

1. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

The Wii release of Resident Evil 4's combination of the GameCube's superior graphics and the PS2's extra content got me thinking... Ever been frustrated because two or more versions of the same game have serious advantages or disadvantages over each other, and wish there was a version that had the best parts of each? Here's my list for starters:

Contra: Sprite detail and color depth of the arcade version. Screen orientation, and tighter gameplay of the NES and Famicom versions. Background animations and cut scenes of the Japanese Famicom version.

Gyruss: Arcade graphics, NES and Famicom bosses and stages, Famicom Disk System soundtrack

Final Fight: Arcade graphics and stages, Sega CD arranged soundtrack

R-Type: Arcade/PlayStation graphics and gameplay, PlayStation FMV intro, PC Engine Super CD-ROM arranged soundtrack and cut scenes.

Snatcher: Combination of PC Engine Super CD-ROM and Saturn graphics (no censored/alternate scenes from the latter), Sega-CD music and light gun support.

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Super Mario Kart.

SNES gameplay, SNES, DS & GBA courses.

Sonic; Sonic CD Graphics, Sonic 2 Levels. NO TAILS :mad 

3. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

Ys 1-6. Actually Falcom made one for PC, but I mean in a language I can understand.

4. flamepanther

Those are good ideas, but I sorta meant alternate platform versions of the same game that should be combined, not aspects of different games in the same series. Otherwise, I'd have suggested taking all the Sonic stages from Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 and making one game out of them. If it's any consolation though, the version of Sonic The Hedgehog 1 that was included in Sonic Jam for the Saturn had slightly improved graphics over the original release, and an optional inclusion of the Spin Dash move.

Here's another example. I've always felt that the NES version of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles arcade game were a little bit tighter. It also had some new levels. Unfortunately, everything else about the arcade version was beyond superior. I'd love to see the arcade re-released with controls tightened up a bit and the NES levels included with enhanced graphics.

5. flamepanther

There are fan translation patches of YS I & II Eternal and Oath in Felghana. It's also possible to add the PC Engine Super CD-ROM music to the Eternal collection.

6. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One thing I would like, and certainly Twin Twist :thumb  as well, would be Gears of War on the 360 with the added PC content.

I also always wanted the extra cow intestines level from the Genesis Earthworm Jim in the SNES version.

Also, even though the added content was lacking, I would have liked to see the Saturn additions added to the PS version of Symphony of the Night. The main additions I liked were really the added music tracks.

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Needs more "Press A" :( 

8. flamepanther

Oh, that reminds me. PC Halo with Co-op support.
    Yeah, I thought of that. I just don't care that much about EWJ anymore. The SNES version did have the best graphics and special effects (woo lens flare on level 1). However, the Sega CD and Windows 95 special editions are where you should look for extra levels, as well as additional sound effects and an arranged soundtrack.
    I've wanted that for a long time, and I was actually a little upset that the XBLA version didn't try to do that. A perfect edition would be more complicated now though, since the PSP version has a totally different take on making Maria playable.

9. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    The GBA version of Mario Kart is already the best version of the game, and I will FIGHT YOU on this.

My perfect version of Mario Party is Wario Ware.

10. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Xenogears with a complete second disc.

11. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I agree. Some games have high potential and the execution fails just shy, or some games have seemingly-mundane premises executed very well. But, Xenogears has the highest ratio of Potential:Execution I've ever seen.

I'm not talking about Xenosaga either. We need a full-fledged Xenogears remake, with at least two complete disks. Hell, keep the graphics and music the same for all I care.

12. Sky Shark

Sky Shark Well-Known Member

Sonic 2006, seriously Sega needs to just hold other Sonic games, go back fix that broken POS, the graphics are good and most levels are but damn does it have horrible programing and level division, fix up Sonic 06 and then rerelease, it that's the only game I think truely needs a perfect edition.

13. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    gran turismo--all cars, all tracks, and whichever version has the least cheating "bump into other cars and walls for quickest way around the track" method of gameplay.

14. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Exactly. They could have included the restoration of Rico's good name and his right to the throne of Kislev, as well as making explicit all the exploration and stuff that was texted out.

Apologies for mentioning a game that only ever had one version, but if you've played the game it's pretty obvious that development was gutted for most of the second disc and only highlights + exploration of the world pre-final-dungeon were included. A Perfect Edition wouldn't be a melding of the best of various aspects of the game's releases, but an expression of what the developers would have created given the time and money to get it right. Even with the crippled second disc, Xenogears is still my All-Time Favorite, and I long to see what it could have been given a little more love.

15. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

I played the patched Ys I & II Eternal and my PC couldn't run II :banghead: .

16. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Street Fighter

17. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

transformers the movie game graphics with the ps2 transformers armada engine. that would win.

18. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Maybe FF7, fix the graphics and maybe add dialogue, a PS3 remake would win.

19. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Turtles in Time - Arcade version has better sound, better overall graphics quality and 4 player vs SNES having better stages, better controls and mode 7 stuff.

Arcade Golden Axe + extra Mega Drive level.

A single Arcade version of Vampire Savior with all the characters. The Saturn version might already qualify, but I don't know whether thats 100% engine perfect or not.

20. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Rise of the Robots.

What?