games that get you emotional?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by gregles, Aug 12, 2012.

1. gregles

gregles quintesson

please interpret this in any way you like. some games can make you want to smash the controller off the wall so that would class as anger but others can get to you in different softer ways, I mean some games storytelling is maturing all the time and there emotional spectrum is reaching the same places cinema, tv and other forms of art and media. What games have reached and breached your emotions and why?

2. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Mortal Kombat gets me in two different ways.

The first is pure frustrated rage. Shao Kahn is a, pardon my language, fucking asshole to fight. You try jumping over him, he just swings his hammer up, try blocking, he sweeps you, spams that tackle attack, throws the unblockable hammer that stuns (he once kept using it until I died; by the time you recover from the first stun, the second hammer has already hit you). Shao Kahn just makes me angry, and I love it when I finally defeat him and punch him into an explosion.

The second one makes me sad. At the end of the Story Mode, Raiden has finally defeated Shao Kahn, but at a terrible cost. His sadness, his guilt, his regret, he was just so utterly tired and upset. My heart wanted to jump out and give the God of Thunder a hug to make him feel better. Poor Raiden.

3. gregles

gregles quintesson

I personally feel fighting games are easily the most frustrating its something about them being one on one and any little mistake being punishable. the character which drives me mad is blanka from pretty much any version of street fighter there are harder characters but his really annoying mix up and spamming of electricity is just annoying.

as for the other spectrum of emotions single player games seem to be better currently. silent hill 2 was really sad if I remember right but I haven't replayed it in ages. ico was really sweet and touching. Both portal games filled me with joy and laughter. I won't ruin the ending but arkham city was tragic and sad. defeating the pack in dead space 2 was trying and pretty much succeeding at not just being difficult on your gaming abilities but testing on your emotions too

4. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    need for speed most wanted made me break my controller in half XD. While one of the Ace Combat games made me actually worry for the characters in it. the story to the game was THAT good.

5. Subotnik

Subotnik Please Stand By.

Journey.

I was lucky enough to play it when it first came out and what an experience. The music is absolutely perfect, especially in surround sound, and the entire end section from the final climb up the mountain all the way through to the end of the credits is amazing.

6. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete was the first game to ever make me shed a tear.

7. optics

optics Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Tekken's juggling combos. /rage

Zelda: TOoT - entering Hyrule Field... wow. Reaching the top of the tree in the middle of Lake Hylia... oh my.

8. thecollector

thecollector Will pet your dog

Modern Warfare 3.
    [​IMG]
    Seriously though, I did get emotional when Chopper died in Ace Combat 5.

9. UltraPrimus56

UltraPrimus56 In the ruins of paradise

Ninja Gaiden 2. That game made me want to burn my 360, stomp it into mulch, and then piss on the ashes.

10. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Mass Effect 3; there are several parts so I'll content myself with some phrases.

"Someone else might have gotten it wrong"

"The answer is yes, Legion"

"Joker, we have to go"

11. bariprime

bariprime Elite Guard Commander

News Credits:
    Any Metal Gear. Anytime. Especially 3 and 4

12. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Playing Zelda: Majora's Mask, the first time through when you get to the field and the tree in the distance. Then when I was going to replay the cycle the first time after I beat the game, thinking: "This time I don't have any bosses to beat, I'll just save everyone." And the realization; You can't save everyone in one cycle. Wow.

ChronoTrigger is an experience. It's fun, it's serious, it's timey wimey, there's some philosophy. It's still my favorite RPG game ever.

Journey is amazing. It's a great zen game.

Ace Combat 4 and 5. 4 when your reputation proceeds you and the end when every fighter is flying your colors for the final battle. 5 was just very well done on nearly every level and there are some great moments in it leading up to the end.

I've rage quit a few games, but nothing is really coming to mind other than how utterly cheap Eyedol from Killer Instinct can be on the harder difficulties. He made Shao Kahn and even Motarro look like they weren't cheap.

13. gregles

gregles quintesson

I'm not a tekken player but I just got into street fighter x tekken and I seriously rage at that game way more than I ever did at ssf4ae because all the annoying juggles so I know exactly what you mean.

14. JetFormers

JetFormers « Ultima Ratio Hecate »

News Credits:
    The Assassins Creed game series even though Revelations wasn't the best I still get a sense of sadness an happieness when Ezio puts his arm on Desmond an tells him "Now listen.." The setting and music just sets the tone... Another game is Darksiders when, War tells Uriel if he is fighting alone against Hell, Heaven, and the council alone he then responds "No not..Alone" That's badass right there guys. But if there is one game that made me rage..Halo combat evolved the flood levels on legendary.

15. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me in no particular order:

1. The MGS1,2, 3 and 4.

I didn't really like MGS2 not because of Raiden but I felt that the plot was overly complicated.

2. Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2

NG1 was a killer for me. I don't know how I did it but I completed it on normal mode. After completing it, I felt a sense of accomplishment. NG2 was easier IMO.

3. FFVII

Loved the game to death, the characters, the materia (?) system, the creatures, the side quests and games. I will forever remember this game.

4. Tekken.

For me, my personal fave was Tekken 3, the gameplay, the characters the soundtrack etc was just an improvement over the previous ones. Definitely a classic

5. Red Dead Redemption

Love the gameplay, main story, side quests and tragic ending...

6. Sonic the Hedgehog on the Sega Genesis

Loved entire series. I recall running down to the local game store each time the latest game was out.

7. Batman Arkham Asylum/City

Best Superhero game IMO

8. Hulk for PS2 amd PS3

Finally get to play with one of my fave superheroes and I like it when I can rampage through the open world.

9. Spider-man for PS1

There's definitely better Spidey games but this was the first one I played and oh boy, how did I enjoyed it. We even had Stan Lee narrating some parts also! How cool was that!? :) 

10. WWE "Here Comes the Pain"

For me, the best wrestling game I ever played. The never endng season, the stellar cast of characters from Hogan, Flair, Austin, Rock, Brock etc made it such a memorable game for me

There's tons more like Fifa 98 etc

16. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Dark Souls. I've found myself sitting in some areas of the game and just taking it in. When you're flown to Anor Londo for the first time...and see how beautiful and immense the city is...but when you're in it...there's nothing. Just knights trying to kill you, wreckage everywhere. As if everyone left in a hurry, and that the knights are only patrolling the halls because they lack any more purpose in life...other than to follow orders from a leader that is long gone.

It really got to me just how "gone" Lordran is. It's a world that has just fallen over and isn't going to pick itself back up. People and things exist for the sake of existing, nothing more. It left me with a sense of despair. What good were my decisions and actions if there's no one who will appreciate, or even care whether or not their lives will be bettered by my decisions?

That's why I love Dark Souls so much. The method of story telling...telling you a story with mood and setting rather than exposition...it's very powerful and compelling, and paints a very interesting and deep game world that continues to hook me time and time again.

17. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

- Pokemon Battle Revolution
    "you gotta be F***in' Kidding me, ROTATE BATTLES? Way to turn my Tank team on me, Game Freak"
    -Final Fantasy VII
    "No-ho-ho-ho-hoooooo! Not AERITH! SEPHIROTH, YOU BASTARD! You Killed Kenn-I mean My healer"
    -Garry's Mod (This still counts as a game)
    "STOP PHYSGUNNING THE NYANMOBILE!"
    -TES V Skyrim
    "*FUS RO DAH* F***ING COOL! OH MAH LAWD! Me GUSTA!"
    -Pokemon Black
    "FEEL THE POWER OF HEADSHOT [My level 88 Zapdos is called Headshot]!"

18. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    These 2 here are the only 2 so far I can think of.

Red Dead Redemption
    AC- ALL of them

19. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

Final Fantasy IV. First RPG I played where the characters were fleshed out further than "mage" and "knight."

Kid Icarus. First game I ever bought with my own money (from a paper route). It cost $35 (which is more than I'll typically spend for a game these days). I also got Popeye that same day when my step-dad talked me out of Metroid. I don't know or care what happened to the Popeye cartridge.

Mario Kart: Double Dash. For all the wrong reasons. They replaced the play mechanics with the cheapest AI in history. AI drivers would constantly speed up. And it didn't matter if you drove through a block in front of them, they'll still have a red shell when you get to the finish line. Fall off the course with a half lap lead on Rainbow Road? You're now in fourth and remember the kart you knocked off the course at the start of the race because they were second in points? Guess who's leading now? I finally quit for good when second and third place hit me with backwards red shells for the nth time.

NASCAR: The Game. Because I spent money on it.
    Game Stop Associate: "We'll give you 22 for it. Is that okay?"
    Me: "Cents? Sure."