Games may be Delayed...Video Game voice actors now Striking.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Tekkaman Blade, Oct 21, 2016.

1. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Potential for leaks. Of course they should be able to fix that by requiring an NDA from the very get-go. But even then, it's hard to prevent "anonymous" leaks. Easier to limit who even knows what the project is.

2. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Only because none of us, including myself of course, imagined how much better it would be without him. No one bothered nor cared about it.

The point is voice acting is always secondary to gameplay.

Now imagine this escalates to what that gaming nazi is suggesting in iamste's vid.

No one really cares about Cullen's bad acting either and yet I can't imagine anyone else playing OP. Especially G1. Get my drift on this?

3. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

it was a... it was a joke because...

I'm forever reminded that british humour is sometimes lost in this place :lol 

4. flamepanther

I'll mostly agree with the camp that says voice acting is nowhere near the top ingredients needed for a good game. However, there's always the exception that proves the rule. The voice acting in Metroid: Other M was a large factor in the game's mixed reception. The game itself wasn't without flaws, but it was generally good on its own merits.

5. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Heh, I was going to say that I have no idea who that is, but any man who has a Boglin is alright by me.

I miss you, Drool. :( 

6. seali_me

Was it also British humour when that gaming nazi was riling up game devs to do the same?

You sure it has nothing to do with the tired quasi non-linear linear gameplay of metroid? I didn't even bother with it honestly. The last one I played was the first prime. The metroidvania games destroyed it for me I guess.

7. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

he has an ongoing thing called Boglin Watch, the people who watch his videos don't seem to like it if they're at a younger age :lol 

8. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

You referring to Sterling?
    I mean, he encourages the devs to do the same, not attack the people going for better working conditions.

9. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

You should run for public office. A simple question turned into a load of word vomit.

10. seali_me

Yeah. Can of worms.

That article I posted wanted VAs to take caution when working with these unions. I think it makes more sense more than anything you can watch on YT.

11. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

It's a can of worms that should be opened. We've already gone over the poor working conditions of devs who basically live at the office rather than home- why shouldn't they join a union for a better working condition?

Out of curiosity, have you ever been a part of a union?

12. smkspy

It's the downside to unions. Unions did a lot in the late 19th and early 20th century to actually help workers that had real hardships and completely unsafe working conditions improve their work environments. A hundred year later, these unions are so powerful and so demanding that they've actually hurt the workers they once represented. It's not surprising then that when unions fall into the argument that start have negative views even if the demands are responsible like in this case ore open information as to VA jobs before taken.

• Like Like x 1
  13. seali_me

Nope.

But read what they say about those bonuses, pitfalls and loopholes.

14. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Have to say on the topic of MGS that trying for more srs bsns dialogue and acting was one of the major things that really sucked the life out of MGS5 for me (open world bullshit, crap progression structure and fragmenting the story content too much being the others). I love Kojima games as much for the batshittery as I do for the great gameplay and minute attention to detail, its not the complete package for me without the 90s style dialogue and overacting. Platinum nailed it more with MGR then he did with TPP.

Wasen't a complete bust in that department though, Skull Face was still awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  15. flamepanther

Heh. Actually, the game was criticized for not being quasi-non-linear enough. Apart from a few detours and pitstops, it's virtually a straightforward third-person action romp. A pretty good one too. But Fusion was the exact same way and fared far better with critics and fans.

If you're sick of the Metroidvania genre and willing to forgive wooden voice acting, Other M might be worth your time. Its only major issues all have to do with story presentation.

16. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

I love ya, man. But...

[​IMG]

17. seali_me

Sounds about right. Much like how I love 60's 70's kung fu movies.

But that's all nostalgia.

Ohhhhh. I wonder how the Japanese MGS is viewed by the Japanese. I mean since it's in it's original language and all.
    Was all that overacting the same?

Same as FFX laughing scene. Did that make more sense in it's original language and target audience.

Even with all the progress the gaming industry have made I think a lot of it was lost in translation.

Exactly what smskpy said. That's what I mean by opening a can of worms.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  18. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I gather that Kojima was much more hands on with the localisation of more recent games then the earlier ones, interesting to think that might have some bearing on how MGS5 turned out from our point of view.

As far as nostalgia goes, I definitely miss that period where mainstream games were taking the useful elements from movies without being embarrassed about being games. I'm totally in favour of all sorts of interactive stuffs from raw games like Mario to full on interactive movies like David Cage titles, but there is certainly an area where those things overlap that I don't fucking like and it mainly exists around modern AAA stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  19. seali_me

Heh. That is quite interesting. Maybe Kojima couldn't express himself well enough to be understood. Or we just prefer spoony bards do all the localizations.

Either way, I feel like we're a dying breed in here. Love how you expressed that exact feeling I have for today's games. Embarrassed about being games.

I really hope Nintendo brings back all the fun.

20. smkspy

People, myself included, do keep mentioning last of us, but the flip side of that is the movie aspect does take away from a lot of the game play. Much as love MGS, fallout 4, and LoU, I've always felt that if less had been paid to cenamatic story telling, the better the game play and over depth of the game would have been.

maybe not fallout 4, cause it had a whole list of problems that affected it more than VA...which was pretty awful itself.