Games - Hard Copy or Download

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by OmegaScourge, Mar 25, 2009.

?

Which Way Will You Go

1. Hard Copy Only

25 vote(s)
    61.0%
  2. Download Only

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  3. Both

14 vote(s)
    34.1%
  1. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Seeing downloaing games looks to be the new/future thing...if they were to still do both, which way would you go?

This goes for any...MS, Sony, Nintendo, PC...

For this, we'll say the prices will be/stay the same (seeing that the games that are on the PS Store is the same)...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  2. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i personally will be sticking to hard copies...

couple reasons.
    1) You can bring the game over to a friends place...something you cant do with DLs

2) You cant sell a DL game...

3) With cable companies supposedly placing dl caps...your gonna have to watch what you buy

4) Even with cable internet, downloading an entire game would take a while...

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    hard copy games. because you actually own them, opposed to a license to play them. and they look nice on a shelf. and compared to a download that costs the same amount, you get more for your money. manual, package art, sometimes cool bonuses like soundtrack CDs or a lunchbox.

4. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with Valkyas - hardcopy for me too! :) 

5. j3

j3 Hampton Yount is my Crow T. Robot TFW2005 Supporter

Hard for the majority of stuff. I have been a little more digital on the PC lately though, purchasing quite a few games through Steam.

6. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I hope there comes a time where this a choice, either I can go to my local games store and buy Resident Evil 6 or just download it if say i wanted to purchase it on a whim rather than going out of my way for it.

7. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Depends, cheap and or old games I have no problem just DL'ing, I like to have hard copies of anything I really paid some money for.

8. AMG

AMG Old School

Hard copy only for me. The day games become download only is the day I quit next generation gaming. I'll become a full time last generation gamer.

9. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Don't care either way. I prefer DD because it's better for publishers and developers and shoves a fat juicy man-wand in the backside of Gamestop.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While I agree with Twist's gamestop reasoning, I want a hard copy. Even though things have changed since "this" happened, when Itunes was young, I tried to do the honest thing and bought 60 bucks worth of music from them over a couple of months.. Well my hard drive fried badly, and when I tried logging back into Itunes after replacing my computer, there was no record of my purchases, so I lost all of my music.

I felt no guilt in torrenting the music back.

Even though if on the PSN I buy wipeout and delete it, I can always redownload it, but if I get in the mood to play it at the last second, and I don't have the disc, it's something I have to wait to download before I even get started... if the download doesn't include update patches since the game's released, then that's even more waiting.

I just want to pop in a disc... Besides, I'm a sucked for nice cover art, collecting games I love, and reading the instruction manuals while I'm in the can.

I did vote for both, because I don't mind smaller games being download only, like the PSN Xbox Live games.

11. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    It doesn't matter to me.

I've been gaming for too long to care. I mean, I've had almost every system since the NES and most of those systems were saved and preserved over time.

I hardly ever go back to play them and even less frequently do I go back to them in a serious way. As such, I just sold off two old systems and am clearing out any games for the SNES that I can get on the Wii VC. I don't need the clutter.

In 2007, my apartment was burglerized. They took about 50 video games, Gamecube and PS2 mostly. I was heartbroken until I realized just how few of those games I ever gave a second glance to after finishing them.

I waste enough living space with Transformers, :D  It's too hard to dedicate more space to antiquated electronics (even if I do love the look and design of them).

12. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Hard copies all the way. And I'll gladly patronize Gamestop whenever I can.

13. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Hard copy. DRM's are a messed up system.

14. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Most hard copies now have DRM.

15. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Hard Copy for consoles, Digital if it's for PC (and only on Steam). I lost $20 to the two Battlefield 2 booster packs, they're on that haggard 3rd party service EA was using that only saves your downloads for two years. I redownloaded them a long while ago but it told me I only had 6 months left.

Also, I fear bandwidth caps. Comcast (my provider) already has caps. Downloading games, patches, demos, streaming videos and playing online has put me within that cap before (it was a heavy month of buying stuff of Steam though).

16. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hard copies I like to take them over to my brothers to play some co-op. Plus I like to be able to borrow his copies as well. Same goes for movies.

17. geerave

geerave Well-Known Member

i go both ways...hehe

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I love how IGN has stated that BluRay's will become obsolete very soon and digital download will take over. It's not that I am set in the old ways, it is simply that if I rent/buy a movie and a friend wants us to bring it over to watch at their place, I want to have a physical copy, not take my entire Rig to watch a movie at their place. Same applies to games obviously. Furthermore, I realize the internet is only going to get faster, not slower, but downloading anything is still not as fast and just booting it up. And then when a new release comes out, everyone is going to be clogging the system to get their copy, which will slow things down even more.

19. Keiichitron

Keiichitron Not a physicist, dammit

Ebay:
    i like to have a hard copy, i'm just paranoid that if my computer crashed that i wouldn't be able to redownload something if there was also a problem on their end

20. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Hard copy here.