Games and Gameplay that doesn't Age.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    List some games that, in your opinion, don't age with time. In other words, even if graphics and sound might have aged, gameplay and the overall experience still hold true today as they did yesterday.

This is both a thread to shout out to some great games, but also for some awareness to some oldies-but-goodies that some of us may have never tried or were too young to remember.

My list:

The Legend of Zelda (I play this one from beginning to end at least 4 times a year)
    Super Mario Brothers 2 & 3, and Super Mario World
    Rygar (NES) (This is a big one for me. I replay the entire game at least twice a year)
    Actraiser
    Phantasy Star 4
    Beyond Oasis
    Castlevania 1&2
    Metroid
    Panzer Dragoon
    Valis III (Genesis)
    Exile (Genesis)
    Baldur's Gate (PC)
    Sonic 3
    Mario Kart (Snes)
    F-Zero (SNES)

These are games that, despite their age, I can still pop into my console and play as if they were almost new (unlike popping Swordquest into my Atari and playing for 5 minutes, when I used to play for hours as a kid).

I had listed some PS2 and Xbox games, but I removed them, because some of those games are still similar to what we play now, so it's not uncommon for their gameplay style to still be familiar have replay value.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  2. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Any of the old Mario games, Tetris and the old NES Bionic Commando. At least, those are the ones that haven't aged/gotten boring for me.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think Mario hit the Magic Formula for all of us :) 

4. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Honestly, mate, most of those have been improved for the better. At least half of them show pretty significant signs of aging due to the iteration and streamlining of their sequels or successors.

Stuff like the original Zelda and Metroid border on unplayable when compared with their far kinder children, hello in game maps.

And no Tetris? That's the ultimate 'don't touch a goddamn thing' game.

5. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I wouldn't say any of those are "untouchable" formulas. Especially games like Rygar and F-zero. Wipeout took the F-zero idea 100 steps further and side scrollers don't get much more boring than the original Rygar. They were good for their day, but all old games have flaws, some much more apparent in the face of more modern iterations of the franchise.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah there's definitely been improvements, especially in the Zelda department, but games like Super Mario Brothers can still entertain someone now, despite the improvements in graphics and sound.

Maybe a better way to rephrase this is, "What games could your little brother and sister, or son and daughter, sit down and play now, and still enjoy?"

My son was playing Sonic 2 the other day on the Sonic Collection and he was still enjoying it, so its appeal and fun factor is still there, unlike say Wizard and Warriors, which I used to love as a kid, but can't play longer than 10 minutes now.

And yeah, Tetris should be in there. There's quite a few more, but my mind is failing me.

Awww, Joe, no love for Rygar? There's one thing about that game that still feels good. That old Snap sound effect and deep bassy sound when you plow through bad guys. Also, the cross between playforming and RPGing. It lacked a save system, which hurts replayability now, but I still have fun playing it again.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  7. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I only kinda liked Rygar back in the day. Even then the game felt boring. Tetris, so far, is the only game that deserves to be on the list. Pac-Man would have been on there had it not been for Pac-Man Championship Edition.

But Mario Kart for the NES is actually the worst of all the Mario Kart games...By far. The GBA and DS versions far, far surpass that version in terms of control, course design and playability. It was great for its time, but has been bested by it's own follow-ups.

8. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

street fighter 2......

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, another one that I should have mentioned. Popping in SF2 into a SNES can still yield hours of fun, while popping Samurai Showdown into my Genesis (while I'd spend hours on it 15 years ago) would probably hold my interest for 5 minutes.

10. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Tekken.

11. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i feel like i was having this exact conversation recently with a friend but for the life of me i can't remember any of the games we talked about.

:lol 

12. McBradders

Et tu, Joe?

Super Mario Kart is still the definitive version of that game.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, and I guess what I forgot to say was that, even if games came after that surpassed their predecessors, these games we list could still stand alone and be played now, for hours possibly, without having lost their charm.

Street Fighters is a great example. SF4 has come and blown the doors apart, but SF2 on SNES could still be very playable and very entertaining.

edit: I played the Dungeons and Dragons: Warriors of Eternal Sun on Genesis like is was my Drug, but I can't get past the titlescreen now. But I can play Phantasy Star 4 like new still.

14. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The two portable versions have tighter controls, better visuals, better use of the power-ups, plus more varied and challenging course designs. I don't see how the SNES version can be seen as the definitive version when the SNES version is so bland and easy by comparison.

Yes, the SNES version set the original formula for the entire genre, but the subsequent versions are infinitely more playable and enjoyable.

15. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Marvel Vs. Capcom
    Any mario games.

16. McBradders

Skill based gaming > than the party game turds Nintendo has tossed out since MK64 onwards.

Bland? Come on, man, just cuz its flat don't mean its bland. I'd say its the exact opposite!

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This one just needs a little bit of alcohol, 3 friends, nachos, and a dorm room and the gameplay goes through the roof.

SHIT: I didn't mention Streets of Rage 2 and 3. That's a huge one. I can play that game beginning to end without even a thought to how old the gameplay feels. Combination of sound, graphics and the timing in the animation makes the hits in that game feels great still.

18. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    You can keep saying it, but the GBA Mario Kart is far and away the better game. The balancing and fine tuning to the controls make the game a much smoother experience.

Not saying the SNES version is terrible or anything, it's just been bested in every way with the GBA version.

19. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Streets of Rage 2 I can almost see. SoR 3 was a step back for me. But no side scrolling beat 'em up has topped SoR2's playability (and I am a hardcore Double Dragon fan).

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And seeing as how the GBA has long been replaced, this version still counts as an oldie but goody.

I was trying to avoid Smangerbot backlash. :D