Gamers know what they want

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by flamepanther, Jun 13, 2012.

1. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

So, I haven't treated you guys to a rant here in a really long time. I've got something to get off my chest once I'm home from work, but here's a little warm up satire.

Gamer: Cell shaded Link? Awful! Zelda needs to be more serious and realistic!

Twilight Princess comes out.

Gamer: Where did all the color and fun go? Also, way to waste the Wii remote. I want 1:1 swordplay!

Skyward Sword comes out.

Gamer: Wow, can't I just press buttons?

---

Gamer: Metroid as a first person shooter? Developed in Texas? That is seriously the worst idea ever.

Metroid Prime comes out.

Gamer: Best. Metroid. EVER. But it needs multiplayer deathmatch.

Metroid Prime 2 and Metroid Prime: Hunters introduce deathmatch.

Gamer: This is awful! Whose idea was this?

---

Gamer: Nintendo needs to get out of the eighties and focus on giving their characters more depth. They should invest in cinematic cut scenes and voice acting.

Metroid: Other M comes out.

Gamer: Wait! No! Go back! Go back!

2. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Zelda more serious? Uh... no? It was never serious, it was always cute. It should be more like the old games.

The problem is, Nintendo wants to cater to the mainstream audience and not gamers. The moment people started to focus on mainstream, was the moment when video games began to suck.

3. flamepanther

I agree with you on Zelda, but there were a lot of gamers, outside of the mainstream, that bitched and complained about Wind Waker on the basis of the cute cartoon graphics. They wanted the OOT style, but darker and more realistic.

Actually, the subtle point of this is that trying to please the fans is pointless, because gamers are not actually a unified group with homogeneous opinions. They shouldn't cater to the mainstream either. Developers should focus on what they're good at and do what they want to do. We'll generally get better games as a result, even though the haters are still going to hate.

4. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Wind Waker is the best Zelda.

Sorry? Zelda?! MORE LIKE CELDA LOL AMIRITE GUYS?

Guys?

Guys...

5. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    The trouble is, there's a wide variety of people who like games. Take something in one direction, you'll piss off one group of people. After the bitch fest has subsided, you take it back in the original direction - now the people who enjoyed the new take are upset, because it looks like you're caving to cry babies. There's also the risk of having a game that's 'too traditional' and feels dated, or difficult, and the other side which is a game that is so different from before, or with so many traing wheels and accesibility restrictions that it pisses off anyone who ever liked it in the first place.

Finding the balance is tough. A game needs to maintain it's own identity, whilst avoiding redundancy.

Unless you're talking about that small minority of people who just really hate videogames, yet still play each and every one that crosses their path. In which case, fuck those guys. ;) 

6. flamepanther

But if you try to imagine that "hardcore gamers" (or even just gamers in general) are a single person in aggregate, as many seem to want to do, then we'd all be that guy.

7. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Heh, as far as Zelda goes, when Wind Waker was introduced, I was all "LINK LOOKS LIKE SHIT! UGH!" Then I played it and fell in love with the style. Then Twilight Princess came out, that was pretty cool, wasn't a big fan of wrist flicking but the game was really fun, and the story and characters (esp Midna) were very intriguing.

Then Skyward Sword came out. The story is AMAZING, the style is awesome. The controls? I struggled until I got to the swimming part, then I failed completely and Skyward Sword became the first Zelda game I have never beaten. Makes me sad really, because the game is very good, but the Wii's swinging and aiming aspect has never worked with me... :( 

8. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Yep, this would automatically produce cool games again. And maybe something new would see the light of day if people would go back to just make what they like.

It's like mainstream music which is often not made by people who just want to make music, but by people who want to earn money with it in first place. Actually that kind of music is relatively easy to do, but it's not appealing for an artist or people who really care for music. So basically what is sold so much that it is in the Top 10 is basically shit. Videogames have gone the same route. I look at you Resident Evil :( 

9. Starfire22

Starfire22 Zoot Suit Riot

News Credits:
    So in turn, the gamer fandom is just like the TF fandom.

10. flamepanther

Again, totally agree. But I think it's worth pointing out again that trying to please any other non-mainstream group (such as the nebulous, indefinable, but often touted "hardcore gamers") is equally pointless, as is doing things a certain way for no reason other than to avoid being mainstream.

Pretty much. It might do some people in the Prime forum a lot of good to read the rant I just posted about gaming critiques.

11. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nintendo turned in to:

[​IMG]

I can't stand their products anymore, and I was a die hard Nintendo fanboy the first 20 years of my life.

12. flamepanther

I'm sorry you don't like any of the amazing games they've made recently, but Nintendo hasn't really changed much in the past 20 years. That's one of the things other people criticize them for. What you don't like, someone else will, and no company exists to please you (or me) specifically.

------------------------

BTW, my examples are all Nintendo just because that's my personal preference, but you can substitute any other developer at all, assuming they're competent. We're all inclined to say that company X should do A or B differently, or should start doing C, myself included. I think it's worth remembering that they probably shouldn't listen to us.

13. Smashs

News Credits:
    Yea, it bites. I should clarify, though. They still make great games, but they are so riddled with horrible control gimmicks that I find them not enjoyable.

Nintendo as a company may not have changed much, but their direction in gaming, and who they pander, to has. Even with them trying to sell consoles to non-gamers(which they do quite well), I would still gladly own whatever console they release if it had a traditional game pad. I *hope* the WiiU's 'pro controller', or wtfever it was called, has functionality with their new installments of classic titles.

14. flamepanther

I feel where you're coming from, but don't forget that the NES and Famicom both succeeded by introducing a revolutionary new control scheme, packaging it with gimmicks (built-in microphone in Japan, Zapper, a robot, Power Pad...) and "pandering" to families rather than core gamers. Absolutely nothing has changed at all, except that you and I have grown into self-identified "gamers" instead of just kids who play video games. Only our perspective is any different.

Personally, I find Nintendo's controls fun. They're not without issues, but they're fun. I'll admit to using the Classic controller for Mario Kart and Smash Bros. Classic for precision, remote for fun. Punch-Out on the Wii is satisfying in a visceral sort of way that the old ones never were for me.

15. Smashs

News Credits:
    Very true, but the option to not use that stuff was always there. I can't play Skyward Sword with a gamepad, which is all I really want.

edit: ALMOST, always there. :D 

16. flamepanther

I defy you to play Duck Hunt on an NES without a Zapper ;) 

17. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby

18. Smashs

News Credits:
    HA! Touché.

I do miss light guns in a strange, frustrating way.

19. flamepanther

Bill is a smart guy.

20. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I loved playing Time Crisis on PSX with that light gun that looks like the gun from Judge Dredd :)