Gameinformer - FOC - Timeline

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by dkr7, Oct 26, 2011.

1. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Nope.

High Moon explicitely stated in a number of places that it was a G1 game. Hasbro was on board with it- until they changed their minds and retconned (repurposed) it into PRIME.

2. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    you forgot Tim Burtons War for Cybertron remake.

3. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It certainly defies a lot of G1 history to have ever been G1. They would have had to totally rewrite the story. But whatever it was "intended" for, the truth is that now and pretty early on, they were saying Prime will be the same universe.

4. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ha ha ha

5. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree with this, those I still feel it fits more with G1 than any other continuity.

This story doesn't have the 13 or not as they're being introduced in modern comics or cartoons. This new timeline says the new line of Primes put in place to restore order fall during the civil war, which one could argue is more like the original cartoon; it’s definitely more in line to it than this newly aligned one.

Sure some characters and story elements are different or don’t line up at all, but a huge majority of this story draws from G1, its cartoon and comic book past. Rather than making the Autobots all ground-based automobiles and the Decepticons primarily air-based vehicles High Moon Studios decided to make the equal in abilities, which I appreciate—did no one here think it was stupid that the Decepticons could all fly while only a handful of Autobots could as a child?

The Dinobots, a stunticon and Bruticus’ involvement in these stories doesn’t bother me one bit. We have no idea what Bruticus was prior to Starscream removing their Sparks from a detention center was (it would be nice if they show loyalty to Starscream at some point, however). The Stunticons were created from Cybertronian wrecks, weren’t they? Who knows what they were before they disappeared into obscurity. The Dinobots new origin is genius. Is anyone really pissed that they won’t be created in the same fashion as they were in the original cartoon? If they were going to make stupid Dinobots, I would not have wanted them in this story—thank God they didn’t go that route. I’m okay with Shockwave creating them and making them just before they leave for Earth, and it works as the dinosaurs roamed the Earth at the time of the Ark and Nemesis crash 4,000,000 million years before the Cybertronians awake on Earth and continue their war.

I’d like to know if Earth is the world Shockwave found abundant with raw energy or if it was another—I thought it was the Autobots that were onto something with the Decepticons following them. Whatever the case, I really don’t care as its change isn’t too drastic. My only beef with this new story is Shockwave’s importance to the story. Sure it’s better than the “As you command, mighty Megatron” of old, but this new guy has his hands in everything. How can Megatron see Starscream as a threat, but not this guy?

6. Sinnertwin

Sinnertwin Banned

News Credits:
    ^I love the power Shockwave has. He seems to take more after his IDW personality, which is excellent. Hopefully his importance here means he's already got a spot in Prime S2.

7. Baird

Baird bug-stomper

Same here!

8. deathsheadx

deathsheadx Well-Known Member

prime is an attempt to rebuild the franchise for a new generation, in the same way G1 became the core for everything up to beast machines

9. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:
    What I don't understand is that they said that WfC fits into Prime yet had G1 homages and even after saying this and being able to rectify this that add even more G1 influences into it. Just look at Optimus. WfC looked more like his Prime counterpart and the two even shared the same colour assignment in vehicle more. FoC Optimus looks more G1 than Prime.

10. Archaea

Archaea Autobot Archeaologist

I like the direction but will with hold judgement until it all becomes more detailed.

11. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Huh, so this does add more truth to WFC taking place in the Prime continuity. It's almost word for word the way Ratchet explained Prime's origin in the season 1 finale.

12. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus See ya!

News Credits:
    I wonder if this "Aligned continuity" is still like a Time Paradox. I even wonder they got the setting for the continuity were inspired from a bunch of old Sci-Fi Movies from the 1950s.

13. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Who is this ‘they’ you speak of? I don’t recall High Moon Studios or Matt Tieger saying anything of the sort. Regardless of whatever Hasbro has said, I follow what the team at HMS says, as they are the ones who pitched the idea to Hasbro and are executing that plan. Wasn’t it HMS’ story that Hasbro decided to integrate to the newly aligned continuity and not the other way around. At some point or another all writers of the video game series, animated and Alex Irvine have said that they’re free to put their own spin on things—and that they might even share some elements—but that there might be some discrepancies if ever so slightly, as they’re all trying to adhere to the outline Hasbro has put forth. Isn’t this why Matt had to lobby for the Dinobots? Hasbro wrote them out, but he and his team had a way of making their addition work without jeopardizing Hasbro’s plans. Now it’s up to the other writers to agree, disagree or just not acknowledge their existence; it’s their choice to include or not include them into their stories after all.

I think Hasbro goofed when they said that Transformers: Exodus was a prequel to War For Cybertron. Likewise, I think High Moon Studios goofed when they decided to pay homage to Transformers: Prime by way of adding Transformers: Prime designs in Fall of Cybertron.

The characters, Dark Energon and the story told in the video game medium and novel aren’t the same. The novel is actually a lot more similar to Transformers: Prime, though they too have some subtle differences.

How can you say Optimus looks more like this one or that one when all Optimus Primes harken back to the original design?

14. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Not just Optimus... but most of the robots.
    If they wish to continue their position, then I'd very much like to see the how's and when's of their re-designs (in some cases- radical.)

It's all lip service and smoke blowing- which is unfortunate.

However, if HASBRO stated that PRIME was now in the Holly Hobby continuity, TF WIKI and plenty of people around here would regurgitate it continually.

I'm right there with ya.
    And it should be noted that HASBRO was squarely on board.

15. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hasbro is GOD as far as Transformers goes.

What they say is continuity is continuity.

Hasbro has ALWAYS said WFC, FOC, the Ex novels AND Prime are all one Continuity Family.

All of them are based on the giant Continuity Bible Hasbro had written to form the foundation of the next ~10+ years of continuity.

This is FACT.

Anything else is you making stuff up.

16. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    WFC, Prime, and the current novels share an ALIGNED CONTINUITY. This means that they will all share the same source story core and mythos. This does not mean that they are going to have the same story lines. They are not direct prequels/sequels to the other, obviously because that would not make sense. But all stories/franchises moving forward have to share the same source.

I really wish when Hasbro does stuff like this that they would explain what they mean....because we are constantly getting into these frustrating debates

17. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm certain HMS said during the hype for WfC that their continuity was their own, not G1 and not movieverse. (it's bound to be on a video interview somewhere)
    Now it seems Hasbro has changed that and turned it into "Primeverse" continuity.
    Doesn't really matter to me. The TF universe keeps growing, and that's a good thing.

G1 will always be MY Transformers though :D 

18. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hasbro ALWAYS said WFC, Exodus and Prime were the same thing. High Moon may have thought they were making something else, but Hasbro was always clear that they considered it part of the new continuity they were building.

Basically Hasbro has out and said that they're not worrying about the small stuff really but just want the big things to match up. The stuff in the Story Bible. Which is loose enough to leave the creators of individual stories room to tell the stories they want and need to tell, but formated enough to keep all the series in line together in a general sense on the big points.

Hasbro considers all series based on this bible to be one thing. What we would call a "continuity family". (Not a Hasbro term, but an exceptionally useful one.) As G1 Toon, Marvel Comics, IDW etc.. are all different parts of the G1 Continuity Family, so are Prime, the Ex-Novels, WFC/FOC, all a bit different but still all part of Aligned.

These really aren't hard concepts at all. It's hard to see why some folks have trouble with the idea.

19. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    No it's not, it's easy as hell to understand. Prime is basically a modified Movieverse, and WFC is a G1 offshoot. Some cracksmoker at Hasbro decides that all TF realities are the same, and THAT is the fuster-cluck.

20. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not saying that I disagree with you, but HMS version of "the Primes" is more in line with G1 cartoons than what we've seen in comics, one Prime at a time—and I am grateful for this. I'm really trying to get used to these 13 Primes, but I'm having hard time. Why do they need godly weapons like Requiem Blaster, Star Sabre and whatever else those other weapons were called to accompany the Matrix of Leadership? Why are the 13 Primes primers for all subsequent Cybertronians? What was wrong with saying they all came from the Quintessons/Primus—isn’t the Allspark/Vector Sigma him anyway? Were there people wondering why Lazerbeak was a bird-like creature or Ravage a cat-like one? I guess the 80s were a simpler time. I was too interested in their cool designs to wonder why they were animal-like characters on Cybertron.

I hope HMS leaves this part of Hasbro’s history out of their story, and it looks like they will. Optimus already has the Matrix, so there’s no need in bringing up the 13 Primes now. I do hope Alpha Trion shows up at some point—I miss the old man—I hope to Primus he doesn’t have that stupid quill, why on earth does a Cybertronian have a quill anyway? What was wrong with him being an inventor, repairman, wise man or father figure? G1 didn’t need magical pens, why do the Transformers need them now? Oh, that’s right the Covenant of Primus[​IMG]

Actually, it was in one of those Net interviews in which Matt Tieger said that WFC lines up with the original cartoon. Take from that what you will. While a lot of people said bull $#!+ when he said it, I can accept it as such. Sure it has its differences, but they aren't too big enough for me to cry foul. HMS did reference the original cartoon a lot in interviews (they still do) though they admit to taking cues from comics and other lines they think have good ideas in them. What's wrong with that? It is because of things like this we have the Dinobots now—Thank you Matt Tieger <3

The original cartoon and comics were so far from one another it's hard to believe there was ever even a continuity to begin with. Hasbro is definitely tightening up the reigns this time around, which I think is good. It's is also nice of them to give the writers of this new continuity wiggle room to do what they want to:)