Game with the best "Battle of Hoth"?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by netkid, Mar 11, 2007.

1. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    So one day last week, my brother keeps bringing up how HBO is showing the old Star Wars movies. He then gets me to sit down and watch all three (the first 3 films, not the first 3 episodes). Then as we are watching The Empire Strikes Back, I get the sudden urge to go play the battle of hoth on my old n64 (shadows of the empire). I love that battle. It just seems so cool to me with the massive at-at's attacking the rebel base all while snowspeeders zoom by and snowtroopers storm the echo base. Anyways, after the movie ends, sure enough my brother runs upstairs and fires up the thing (I guess he had the same idea).

There he is getting all the challenge points and beating it in 2 minutes. After he's done, I give it a try. We both beat the level sucessfully and get all the bonus points but I feel there is something
    left to be desired. For one the game is dated both graphically and gameplay wise. I want a game where I can fly a snowspeeder, run on foot, or command an At-At.

So are there any Star Wars games with a more immersive battle of hoth? I was thinking Battlefront 1 or 2 but I've never played them (I would really like to though). And now that I just recieved my new computer, I definitely can play Battlefront 1 or 2 (the PC version of the game sounds much better -more players in a level and more levels as well).

I'm talking about a full scale battle, both sides attacking, being able to fight on foot, in a snowspeeder, in an at-st, in an at-at, *fighting in the echobase and walking out of it to hop into a vehicle and fight in the battlefield outside type of game.

^would battlefront 1 or 2 be close to that?

I'm just asking all of this because I really want a star wars game that has a good battle of hoth. It's my favorite battle from the films (well, also the death star trench and the space battle of endor) and I just want to be able to play it.

2. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Battlefront 2 would be the best bet, since you don't have to fly around in a speeder. You can always hop out of an AT-AT/speeder and shot Rebels/Stormtroopers on foot.

3. netkid

News Credits:
    follow up.

I definitely will be getting Battlefront 2 for my PC. I just need to find the PC DVD-ROM version.

Now just out of curiosity, is there a battle of hoth in the first battlefront game? and if so how does it match up against the battlefront 2 version. I'm just curious because people have told me that battlefront 1 is a bit better than battlefront 2 in certain aspects.

4. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, Battlefront 2 is your game. It's exactally as you described it. What I like best, though, is that while you can take down AT-AT's with snowspeeders, you don't have to. In Ep. V, out of desperation, as a last resort, the Rebels used them, and now it seems that no matter how or where you see an AT-AT, you have to use a snowspeeder. That sucks. In Battlefront, you don't need to. You can instead take out a big gun like a bazooka, or sit in a turret, attack it's weak point for massive damage, and it's done. Variety, and the ability to choose your own strategies, makes that game worth owning, easily.

5. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Yup. Hands down Battlefront 2 is the winner for Hoth. Especially in an online 64 player match :) 

6. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

If you like the Battle of Hoth, you really need to try out the battle in Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike. The one in Rogue Squadron II is really good too if memory serves me right.

7. BMGFX

BMGFX Awesome Spooner Veteran

Super Empire Strikes Back!

8. netkid

News Credits:
    Thanks guys. I'll just stick with Battlefront 2. No offense to rogue squadron 2 or 3 but I really don't feel like spending money on another system (gamecube).

Now all I have to do is find me a copy of Battlefront 2 that is the DVD-ROM version.

9. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    That gets my vote! The Super Star Wars game trilogy are three of the best Star Wars games ever made, hands down.

10. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Shouldn't be all that hard. It's about the only thing you can find these days. I rarely see games on CD-Rom anymore. Is there some reason you're looking for just the DVD-ROM version over the CD-ROM version? Same game, just more disc's obviously with the CD's.

11. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Atari 2600 Empire Strikes Back

12. netkid

News Credits:
    ^That's EXACTLY why. Plus, for some reason, so far all I can find are the PC CD-ROM versions. I hate games with multiple disks and would like less to worry about.

Plus from what I've read about both versions, the DVD-ROM version of Battlefront 2 runs better than the CD-ROM version.

So I definitely want the DVD-ROM version.

13. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Super Empire Strikes Back! Seriously, those games rocked so much. I've been disappointed in every other SW game sense, expecting the same sense of fun.

14. netkid

News Credits:
    Hey which game(s) has the best Death Star Trench battle? Or the best (space) Battle of Endor?
    I just have a liking for the space battles of Episodes 4, 5, & 6.

15. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    battlefront 2 is AWESOME for battle of hoth

you can even DRIVE the AT-AT's!!!

16. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Battlefront 2 rocks my socks, but playing alone is pretty crazy, as the enemy AI focuses only on you rather than your AI team mates. Pretty horrific. Imagine that if you're a rebel on ground during the Hoth battle. AT-ATs and AT-STs firing away at you as legions of storm troopers and AT-AT pilots swarm around you.

17. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Battlefront 2 rocks my world. I think it's my favorite SW game ever, though I've only played a couple. I love the space levels too, being able to fly a TIE Interceptor gave me tent pants.

18. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    At the time I thought Rouge Sqaudron 2 was the coolest. But now I have to throw another vote for Battlefront 2. The option to fly a snowspeeder, be a stormtrooper and drive AT-ATs or AT-STs, or run around and even play as Luke with a lightsaber just kicks ass.

I forgot about playing as Vader and slicing through some "rebel scum" :D 

19. ViperDragon

ViperDragon Well-Known Member

Lego Star Wars 2 has a pretty cool snowspeeder battle scene. I personally like the Shadows of the Empire fight but I will have to try the BattleFront 2 sometime.

20. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I still like Rogue Squadron II's Hoth scene. But Battlefront 2 is my favorite Star Wars game of all time. I still enjoy Galactic Conquest mode when the mood strikes me.