Game Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by yodafett, May 9, 2008.

1. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    So I'm trying to help my wife find a game to really enjoy. I stress really, because she is a bit of a gamer, but we've yet to find anything other than Kingdom Hearts that is right up her alley. She enjoys games like Sims, FF VIII, and KH. Essentially, the gameplay mode isn't as important, as long as it has a good story, and the character "changes", whether it be an actualy change/transformation of type (similar to in FF VIII when your GFs overtake you and attack) or an actualy physical transformation, like in TF.

I've gotter her mildly hooked on Adventure Quest, the online RPG, but it's kind of light on story.

I think something similar to FF would be ideal, in fact, where as the game progresses, you have more options to change your abilities, but instead of just "calling" or "summoning" you actually become the force, if that makes any sense?

Platform isn't that drastic. We currently have PC, PS2, GC, and GameBoy SP, but plan on buying a next-gen system soon, so a good recommendation could be a deal-maker.

Any ideas or recommendations?

2. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Shadow Hearts: Covenant. It's one of the best RPGs for the PS2, and right up her alley, as the main character can change into many different forms during battle.

3. yodafett

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Ooh, that sounds like it may be a winner, I'll look into it! thanks!

Edit: It looks like Shadow Hearts is a trilogy, but the stories dont' look too connected, is Covenant the best, or would she be better off starting with the first one?

4. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Yeah , SHC was a great game.

5. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    You might do well to check out Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES, recently released for the PS2 for the wallet friendly price of 30 bones. Be advised though that the characters, story, and setting are all very, very Japanese. So if that doesn't appeal to her, might as well just steer clear.

6. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The first two are directly connected as Covenant is a sequel to the first one. It would be a good idea for her to play the first one before the second if story is important to her. I highly recommend these as they are some very good games with atmosphere. Although the Covenant has a substantial injection of comedy added to it, which, with the enhanced battle system, really only makes it better.

The third game, From the New World, isn't connected to the first two except loosely, though it is in the same world and features characters that have appeared before. But it's not as good.

7. yodafett

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Thanks all for the input!

@Schide: does From the New World also feature the "morph" ability? I didn't see it mentioned in any of the game descriptions, but I couldn't tell if it was because it was removed, or the reviewers just assumed it's common sense that it's there...

8. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

gta4.

you get to change from on foot to in car.

9. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    The Katamari series is fantastic. This past weekend, I purchased a copy of Beautiful Katamari (360) and the girlfriend loved it. We spent all Friday and Saturday rolling up balls of junk. :D 

10. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's still there, but the one character who can demon morph doesn't have as many different forms as the character in the first two games. It's still a fun game though. The thing with the Shadow Hearts series is that the first game had an very horror type of story and mood. Then the second game retained a lot of the horror aspect, but they toned it down in favor of a lot more humorous moments, but that really only made the game better overall. Now, the third ratcheted up the humor and silliness probably too much and it didn't quite click as much as it did in Covenant, which had a really nice balance of horror/silliness.

So yeah, I'd recommend only getting the third game if you really enjoy the first two.

11. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

I ah.... Have no idea what you're asking for suggestions. I'd like to help but I dont understand the question.

12. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    I just started Persona 3 FES myself, and it's superfun. Somehow the makers managed to turn a high school sim involving shooting yourself in the head a great (and non-fatal) time.

And you get about 170 different transformation forms that you can summon, so yay variety.

13. yodafett

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I'm not sure that she'd enjoy a game about shooting yoruself in the head, but I'll definitely look into it, since 2 people have mentioned it.

Shadow Hearts sounds right up her alley, and I'm looking at a complete set of all 4 games on ebay right now.

14. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Persona 3 is not about shooting yourself in the head. That's just a cheesy gimmick the game features. Basicly the gun-shooting-in-head part is to trigger the character's Persona, because they cant normally on their own.

15. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

So what, you're looking for JRPGs similar to Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts? Why not give the Tales series a whirl? Tales of the Abyss and Tales of Legendia are on the PS2 and Tales of Symphonia is available on the GC.

16. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    4? *looks*

Ohhhhh, Koudelka. Yeah, I never played that and I usually forget about it when talking about Shadow Hearts. But it should be worth getting, at least because the story of the later games does tie into it. Good luck in the auction.

17. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Star Wars Lego games...

18. yodafett

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I will add those to the list, thanks!

Yeah, I SO didn't get that auction. It jumped over 40 bucks in the last 10 seconds, and I didn't feel like spending over $150 on a series of games that we've never tried, even if it WAS the whole series, 3 of them unopened. :( 

Beh, watching a couple other auctions for the trilogy minus the PSone game.

Got them both, and we both enjoy them, but she's looking for a little more FF (pre- FFx) type of flava, preferably with some kind of "morph" ability. The Shadow Hearts games sound perfect, it just seems like they are quickly becoming collectible, I can't find any sets nearby, without driving to 3 different stores 30 minutes from each other and buying them seperately. *goes back to searching*

Oh, and thanks again to everyone who has responded here! Look me up when you're in Indy and I'll buy you a :hookday 

19. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

ahh, beat me to it. my fiancee absolutely LOVES star wars lego 2, the one that follows the original trilogy. AND you can play it two player coop, as well.

20. yodafett

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Just one last "thanks" for the reccomendation of the Shadow Hearts games, she LOVES the first one so far. Hasn't beaten it yet, but she's made it to the second "act" if you will, and is just massively enjoying it. Thank you all again! :)