Game over retro game store

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gaastra, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  2. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    We used to have a game shop with a lot of old school stuff around here, until it went out of business a couple of years ago. Mostly due to gamestop and ebay. That, and they started pissing people off when they'd offer you $2 for an SNES game they had sitting in the glass underneath right where you were talking to the guy, with their $60 pricetag on it.

3. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I never buy from places like that. They overcharge on everything and rip you off. You try to sell something with a tiny hairline scratch and they will only give you $1 for but buy something for $20 that has tons of them.

4. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

we have a couple store with old games here. the prices aren't all that bad... similar to virtual console pricing to be honest... i stop by when i'm closeby and get the occasional classic when i see it.

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Maybe its different where you guys are, but Ive never had that problem with the store by me. www.1upgames.ca . Most certainly, some games are going to be more expensive, and yeah, a lot of games, especially sports games, are damn worthless. They also wont give you much for something they don't think they'll be able to sell. The thing is, retro games are collector's items now, just like transformers. You guys don't complain when someone wants 50 bucks for a G1 Prowl or something, do you?

6. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I sure as hell would if the same person offered $3 to buy it off me in the first place.

I've seen a couple places like this, their prices are outrageous. They are even worse than pawn shops for game pricing. I can't remember what game it was (I think it was Castlevania for Snes), but one place wanted over $100 for it. I practically laughed in the guy's face and walked away.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  7. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

That store looks amazing.

I know a classic game store somewhat close to where I live, but it's nothing compared to this. At least they have reasonable prices.

8. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

I remember a store that sold mostly table top gaming stuff but had a few computer games in the back. All those computer games where like 80-90's era games that had VGA graphics but their prices where $70 dollars.

9. Master Megatron

Master Megatron Action Bastard

Very cool. I'd go there just to indulge in the awesomeness.

10. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

This is a small store chain I generally despise. They eBay price check every game and sell it for about that value. The local one also likes to charge $5-$10 MORE than used stores in the next big city over as there's no local competition. They're basically charging the gas it'd take to go get the game cheaper(and often I don't feel like blowing an extra hour of time just to take a sale away from them). I sold FF2 PSP here for $15 as they offered $4 for it... and they'd no doub tag it for $25-$28 used. I was rather ticked after paying $10 for Sonic Advance DX for GC only to see it new at TRU for $13.

And yes, that ugly green Scion does exist. Each store has roughly 4 big flat panel HDTVs on the walls too.

I still think the FTC should look into these used game stores, force some federal law requiring them to pay 50% of their sale value. 5%-25% is ridiculous. If sports games an such don't sell, then they shouldn't take them.

11. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

wow some places really do rip people of i guess. the store i usually go to pretty much always sells decent nes games for $5 (games like bionic commando, legacy of the wizard, blaster master), really popular ones are more like $10 (mario, zelda, castlevania), crappier ones for $2, and complete games with box and manual are still never over $20. the owner's a nice guy... except he usually doesn't buy single games unless they're something really good, he usually buys lots.

12. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Now THAT is what I call reasonable. $10 for a really good NES game and such is fine. But when you want over $20 even for a really classic game that is too much.

13. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The only proper retro game store chain in this city that I know of is a freaking ripoff, even more expensive than ebay prices. Much better to just go to generic 2nd hand shops.

There's a chain of game stores in the UK that sell mainly new games but do stock all kinds of old games and they're pretty reasonable and also super awesome. I can't remember what they're called though.