Game Boy Repair Help

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Ribieconvoy, May 15, 2011.

1. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    Well... I've googled this to no avail, searched for videos on YouTube, and still can't fins a solution to this issue. My problem is that I recently was given an original Game Boy by a friend, who said I could keep it if I could get it to work. I checked it out, and there was some corrosion in the battery connections, so I cleaned that up. Regardless of that, whenever I turn the system on, it powers on, however, that is ALL. I get no response from the screen, except for one time when the very top row of pixels turned on. The other 143 rows did not. Also, the speaker is still functional, although it simply clicks when the system turns out, and then makes a very faint fuzzy sound only audible when you hold the speaker to your ear. I took it apart for inspection, and I'm thinking the issue is the black spot on the metal plate connected to the back circuit board. I've included pictures, although I can't say if they'd be helpful or not.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      136.3 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      119.6 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      105 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      122.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    That black cover on the 2nd pic has a burnt out component on it. If it has not fried the board and you can solder well you can cross reference the part (provided it's not a programed eprom) and replace it. I have a bad feeling it may be something unreplacable. Take off the black cover and take a pic of that.

3. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

I'm far from an expert on this kind of thing, but even so, I got a feeling that Gameboy is FUBAR.

4. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    Yep, I did some further inspection and found out that deep into the center of that metal plate the circuit board got melted. So it does get power to the system, and it works, but it only gives it enough power to turn on the LED. I'm just gonna buy a used Gameboy and swap out the guts. Thanks for the help!

5. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I repaired my Game Boy Advance by buying myself a DS! Quickest fix, and not too pricey!

:) 

6. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    That doesn't help 'repair' anything prior to GBA though :p