Game Boy Advance 2?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by My03Tundra, Sep 8, 2006.

1. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    http://psp.ign.com/articles/731/731066p1.html

Reading that, and seeing the GBA will be discontinued in 2007, is a bit disappointing. It is sad to think that the Game Boy name is going to die in 2007... or is it?

From some internet rumors (yeah, go ahead, HATE ME), supposedly 2007 will also be the year that Nintendo will unveil the GBA2.

Now, in one of my Nintendo Power magazines, a reputable developer stated that the sequel to the DS game Contact will be released on a yet un-named system. At the time the article was printed, Wii had an official name and was mentioned IN NAME in the article. That leads me to believe that in 2007, the GBA2 may at least be announced if not released. Now, the following is my own ideas/suggestions to fuel this rumor.

Awhile back Nintendo released a statement that they had a three-tiered gaming system approach. They now have the Wii (that will soon be released), the AWESOME (in my opinion) Dual Screen system, and the soon-to-be-discontinued Game Boy Advance. Nintendo has this approach mainly to ensure that at least ONE of their consoles is successful and will bring in profits should one fail. This saved them, when their "main" product was the failed Gamecube. Good idea, but poor execution. Some industry analysts are saying that if the Wii fails, Nintendo will be reduced and will face major profit losses.

Now, for this "GBA2" device, I've been thinking. There are a lot of elements from past and current systems that could go into it. First and foremost, since it is a "Game Boy" product, it will be small and portable. That means the LARGEST screen would be such as that on the DS Lite, roughly 2.5 inches diagonal. As for the type of screen, for enhanced gaming, the logical choice would be a touch screen. But, since the GBA2 is a "pocket" device, that won't be there. Too fragile. Plus, it would compete with the DS Lite. Now, here are the specifications I believe the GBA2 will have. Remember, this is just a guess. Nothing more:
    • SMALL form factor, just a bit thicker then GBA cartridge thickness. Overall size about that of three decks of cards, vertically, side by side. Would have backwards compatibility with GBA. (Nintendo staple with that)
    • CPU capability similar to Nintendo DS (if not identical), maybe more powerful (PSP power doubtful)
    • Proprietary FLASH Memory Game Cartridge slot - DS sized, but wider and not as long. Game sizes ranging from 64MB to 512MB (+/-) in size.
    • Eight buttons - Start, Select, A, B, X, Y, L shoulder, R shoulder
    • 2.5" diagonal screen, non touch format, possibly OLED (but likely same from DS Lite top screen)
    • SMART Li-On (Lithium Ion) batteries. 18 to 24+ hour actual battery life.
    • Wi-Fi built in, for wirless gaming.
    • Multi-media capabilities using additional GBA cartridge with miniSD card slot for MP3 and video playback. Would need special "game" type cartridge to watch movies.
    • Could connect via WiFi to Nintendo sponsored, legal, movie downloading service with monthly or pay-per-view charges for various Nintendo sanctioned (i.e. family friendly) movies. (would need large capacity miniSD card 1 to 2GB). Direct download to card, in proprietary format. (Service available to Wii users too).
    • PSP styled "open" design. No clamshell face.
    Likely official accessories:
    • Nintendo Headphones (cheap POS type)
    • Multimedia playback kit: GBA to miniSD cartridge, USB 2.0 cable (plugs into cartridge), 128MB miniSD card included. PC/MAC CD-ROM with software for loading music, movies under 512MB in size.
    • AC charging Y cable (DS Lite/GBA2 plugs, multi-charging capability)
    • Leatherette (vinyl) Nintendo stamped carrying case.

2. JD

JD Well-Known Member

BAH! I don't even have a DS and newer system is gonna come out next year?! DAMN!

3. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    It likely won't be coming out next year, but probably announced "officially"at the "new" E3 next year. It would likely come out in Spring 2008 in Japan, and Fall 2008 in US and Europe.

You also have to take into consideration the GBA2 would be the "third leg" in Nintendo architechture and would not necessarily "interact" directly with it's other consoles. Nintendo is committed to having the DS connect to the Wii, and from what I've read, using the Wii's WiiConnect24 service you may be able to download DS game demos.

The GBA2 will not connect to the Wii in such a manner, but offer different games, services and overall experience not available through the DS/Wii connection.

4. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Intersting, I have always been of the opinion that by not calling the DS a "Game Boy" that they had other plans.
    Game Boy is just too recognized a name for them to just not use it any more for anything.
    However until Nintendo says something it's all just us guessing

5. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Dude, read the IGN article again. An industry analyst predicts, predicts mind you, that the GBA will be snuffed next year. Industry analysts also predicted there was no way Sony would price the PS3 at $600. In my experience, it is the sole purpose of video game industry analysts to be wrong. Unless these schmucks are correct, which is rarely the case, GBA will not be getting the axe. That means no missing third tier. That means no GBA2.

6. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    True, but knowing Nintendo, I suspect there will be a GBA2 and it will at least be announced by 2007 E3.

7. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    The GBA hardware is ancient by today's standards and its games are showing their age. At the time it was released (June 2000) it was an awesome system with great graphics. That is not true anymore with the PSP (which has AWESOME graphics) and the Nintendo DS which when pushed is no slouch.

Nintendo will keep the Game Boy name alive, but whatever they put it on, it will be a new system. That is a definite. As for it's name, it could be the GBA2, or Game Boy WiiBot, whatever. Nintendo will reuse the name on a new system, and I suspect they will keep backwards compatibility with GBA games. Or not, since the DS/DS Lite can perform that task...

Also, the video game industry is a 5 billion dollar a year industry. You can be rest assured that Nintendo will do whatever they can to stay in the industry (and stay strong) and with the DS now being aimed at "adults" with some games, it wouldn't hurt to have a "mature" gaming system like the GBA2.

8. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Huh, I read in some official Nintendo Magazine called 'Official Nintendo Magazine' I think... weird huh?) that they were developing a GBA2 and it was to be announced sometime toward the end of this year.

Except now the DS has some so superbly well all plans to continue with the GBA2 have been put on hold and Nintendo will be focusing on the DS and its connectivity with the Wii.

So whoever that market analyst is... he's blowing it outta his ass.

I'll have to see if I can find that article.

9. flamepanther

Sounds like you're missing the entire point of tier #3. GBA is not competing with PSP. That's the DS's job, and DS is doing it wonderfully. The GBA's job is to keep revenue coming in from people who don't upgrade their stuff all the time and/or want cheap hardware and games.

Nintendo is doing with the GBA Micro what Sony did with the PSOne after the release of the PS2. They'll keep milking the GBA architecture and games library as long as they can. The classic GBA is only six years old now. That's old for a TV-based console, but look at how long Nintendo dragged out the 8-bit GameBoy hardware. Plus, if they stop production of GBA games, they cripple one of the features of the DS. Right now, the two systems support each other. The ability of the DS to play GBA games keeps new GBA games viable with upper-tier gamers while the ability to tap the lower tier at the same time keeps the DS's GBA feature from being ignored. Introducing a new game format right now throws a wrench in the works.

10. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    I think it would depend on that format, and the services available.

Yes, right now, the GBA2 would "junk up the works," but in mid-2007 when Nintendo's online service is in full swing things might change a bit. Nintendo is commited to having the Wii and DS work seemlessly together, moreseo then the GBA and GC EVER did.

A third console, using some current technology as I described, may not work now but later next year it might allow Nintendo to offer services not available through the DS & Wii. Rumoredly, Microsoft (after the FAILED "sponsored" Gizmodo, which was NEVER even directly released) plans on releasing a mobile entertainment system with full PSP quality games. If so, then the GBA2 would make a LOT of sense with full Nintendo support and services available to it and through the Wii.

Imagine plugging your GBA2 into a charging cradle overnight, and waking up to find a couple of full length movies installed on it via Wii's WiiConnect24 service that offers a continuous 24 hour connection. There are still a lot of things Nintendo could do, to stay competitive later next year (early 2008) and have an upperhand.

It is only a matter of time before Microsoft directly enters the portable market (which is becoming a BIG segment of video games anymore), with their own mini-Xbox (360?) system that is "better" then the PSP with full music and video support. In response to that, I would not be surprised should Nintendo and Apple team-up for the GBA2 and offer direct iTunes support for it.

11. flamepanther

If Nintendo announced a new portable console anytime in the next year, regardless of new features, I see two possible outcomes:

Scenario 1: The market says "another Nintendo portable? Already? Fuck you! " Look at what happened to Sega when they tried to go from Genesis to 32x to Saturn to Dreamcast too quickly.

Scenario 2: Nintendo semi-successfully launches their GBA2...
    ...which then splits their current-gen hand-held userbase between two systems, crippling both.

There's an even simpler reason this isn't going to happen like it does in the scenario you're describing. You're describing Nintendo trying to play catch-up with the features of their competitors. Nintendo is not in the business of doing that. Nintendo is not interested in selling portable multimedia centers. They even had an easy opportunity to make the DS double as a rather nice PDA, and they declined. You want new content for your portable game system via Nintendo's online service when you wake up in the morning? Nintendo already announced that. All you need is a Wii, a DS, and an Internet connection. No new system required.

12. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i think the GBA2 (or which i want it to be, the GBW - Gameboy Widescreen, and the look of the the original GBA or GBDS - Gameboy Dual Screen) will be after the DS's run.

Having 2 handheld hurt the GBA sales (especially the fact that the DS can play GBA games) and doing it again will hurt one of them again.

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Any new handheld nintendo releases would not only compete with the PSP, but also their own DS. The DS is a huge success, and they do NOT want to kill that thing off yet.

14. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Words fail me on how stupid this three-tiered system is.

15. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I feel the only successful new handheld that Nintendo can take advantage of is a portable gamecube <-- had to bold that so people take notice.

The gamecube discs make it ideal. While this isn't by any means a new idea (fake prototype images have been around for years), it will keep the gamecube library alive, give the player a huge library to start off with, and would be fully compatible with the Wii.

Anything else I feel would fail do to the success of the DS.

16. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

yeah....the GamecubeBoy would of been the shit...plays on the GC, the Wii, and the GCB :D 

as for why not calling the DS a Gameboy most likely the fact that the GB name is so well known that if the DS were to bombed (looks at my sig and laughs) they didnt want it to be under the GB name.

17. Rokkit 2.0

Rokkit 2.0 Nay, we are but men.

I think the idea of a new Gameboy is probably not as big a priority for Nintendo after what has happened with the DS. I really don't think they expected it.

Nintendo said all along that the DS is a seperate product from the Gameboy line. They stated that well before the thing even launched. I think they will stick to that.

However, with so much success on the DS side, it's probably made it easier to keep it as their current handheld release.

18. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    Nintendo would likely release another handheld, but it would likely not have GBA compatability and have a name like Game Boy Vision, Widescreen, whatever.

It likely won't have GBA compatability, as like has been pointed out, that would compete with the top selling DS system. If Microsoft is as commited to releasing a portable handheld system as they say they are, with the rumored features (music, movies, photos, wireless web browsing, PSP or better quality games), then Nintendo will respond in kind.

They may release some "kit" for the DS to turn it into a multimedia platform, or as I suspect, replace the dying/aging Game Boy Advance with a dedicated system as part of there three tier arrangement. If so, then the GBA2 would be a stronger multimedia system then the PSP (which is an awesome platform) and would support some form of subscription music and (possibly) movie service.

As for the DS being a PDA (Personal Digital Assistant), Nintendo is actually a licensee of the Palm OS operating system. If they chose too, they could turn the DS into a PDA, but it is unlikely. It is too big (even with the DS Lite) and ungainly to be a PDA. Besides, PDAs are dead. Smartphones are what people want now, as they are a MUCH more effective then a simple PDA.

19. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Honestly, with all the success of the DS, and what I think are better capabilities and more versatility, why bother with a truly new GameBoy? I understand modding theGBA model all to hell for a long time, but I think they'd be better served with DS upgrades every few years. Going to another GB seems like a big step backwards.

20. flamepanther

No, they won't. You're painting Nintendo as a follower, and if there's anything Nintendo isn't, you just found it. Nintendo will be a leader, or it will do its own thing regardless of everyone else (see Nintendo Wii). When Sega's Game gear came out with high quality color and a backlit screen, what did Nintendo do with the GameBoy to keep up? Nothing! Game Gear was dead and gone by the time Nintendo finally incorporated real color into a GameBoy, and it was inferior color and still no backlight. Why? Because Nintendo was only interested in features that didn't detract from the battery life, regardless of how much gamers might have drooled over them. When they were good and ready for full color and a backlit screen, we got the GBA SP.
    Not going to happen. Nintendo's business is games. They've said time and time again that they are not interested in building multimedia players. When people wanted a Gamecube that plays DVDs, they let Panasonic build one and didn't bother with it themselves. When people wanted multimedia players for their GBA and DS, Nintendo ignored it while third-parties from Hong Kong built the add-on kits you're describing. If you want one, order it from Lik-Sang. Nintendo won't make it.