Minor/Repaint: Galvatron's Titan Master (help needed)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Smitty.1981, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Rusting...

News Credits:
    So I got the gloss grape paint to paint Nucleon. I'm pleased with the color but it's not drying all the way and after about 24 hours the paint still feels a bit sticky. Any advice? IMGP0765.JPG

2. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Was it spray? Or brushed on?

If it was spray, it's possible you put too heavy a coat on. In my limited experience, I have found then whenever I layer a spray coat on too much, it never fully gets that "dried" look and feel.

My last few projects I just spent the entire day spraying super light coats over and over and over and over with about an hour between. (putting very minimal on each time)

In the end, the paint dried beautifully, and felt even better.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Rusting...

News Credits:
    It's brushed on but it might be on too thick. I typically use paint markers to avoid this very thing, but modal paint of any kind is had to come by in this town.

4. Solis prime

Solis prime superionmaxsumus

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Yea ive had that same issue with paint markers in the past, in my experience it just takes a really really long time to dry, but it could just be me

5. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Did you wash it first? That is usually the first step for me to help ensure that there isn't any residue left over from the factory, or your fingers.

• Like Like x 1
  6. konrathink

konrathink Jared Magnus

It's best to give it a light sanding before painting to to help the pain adhere to the plastic. Washing after the helps get rid of the dust and factory oils. A primer too will help. I've never used paint markers so I can't help in that regard, but it could be the the paint is just sitting on that slick smooth surface from the factory and not having a chance to sink into the plastic and thoroughly dry.

7. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What is the brand, type (acrylic, enamel, lacquer) and finish (gloss, pearl, matte) of the paint?

8. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Rusting...

News Credits:
    So the paint I got is Testors gloss grape enamel. I used fingernail polish remover to get the paint off of his legs and that would out fine. The paint on his head did dry after a few days, but now I'm concerned about the pain scrapping or chipping. Any ideas on that I can do to prevent that?

9. Stormvapor

Stormvapor Well-Known Member

I use a brush on superglue in areas that rub, and a polyurethane on everything else...if areas are really tight, you will need to sand a bit just to give you some clearance after you paint.

10. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Rusting...

News Credits:
    I've already done the painting. I'm really only concerned about when I put him in the cockpit of the "jet" mode. I suppose I could sand the cockpit...

11. Stormvapor

Stormvapor Well-Known Member

You'll find that just because everything is painted, you are not done...lol Sometimes you need to repaint areas, because of rub issues. That's why prep is so important...I (and I am sure many others here, even the maestros) have learned this the hard way...lol :) 

12. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Rusting...

News Credits:
    I'll keep all this in mind for my next project, what ever it may be, but as for this I'm done. I've got the paint and brush if I ever feel the need to do touch ups.