Galvatron

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by brianfett, Nov 10, 2010.

1. brianfett

brianfett Well-Known Member

Were the autobots in G1 aware that Galvatron was Megatron? I know the decepticons were. If not would they have handled him differently if they did?

2. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

I don't think it was ever explicitly stated that all of the Autobots knew who he was, but Optimus inexplicably knew who Galvatron was after he was resurrected.

It's G1, so the writing and continuity were inconsistant.

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    ^ I'm not sure if Optimus knowing who Galvatron was after he got resurrected is all that inexplicable. Being one with the Matrix may confer omniscience.

4. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^That's how I always thought he knew.

5. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    The Autobots were aware that Galvatron used to Megatron in the Marvel comics. Largely by Galvatron telling Jazz when the Autobot was captured and tortured.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    In the G1 animated series, its likely that some Autobots had an inkling that the two Decepticons may have been somehow related. Rodimus would probably have noticed the whole "first prime, then ultra magnus, now you" speech, but given that Galvatron himself was inconsistent in terms of his references to Megatron, its possible that noone knew what the truth really was. News of the whole "here's a hint" incident could have also filtered back to Autobot ears, but again, not exactly conclusive.

7. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

Huh. I never actually thought about this before. I always just assumed it was common knowledge. I even remember one episode where the Decepticons were arguing about needing Megatron or Galvatron and someone said "What's the difference? They're the same guy!"

8. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

As vague as it was, in the '86 movie when Galvatron, Cyclonus, Scourge and the Sweeps attack Autobot City after it had already been demolished, Galvatron yells out ,"I, Galvatron, will crush you just as Megatron crushed Prime." I think somehow this was to relate to all the Autobots at Autobot City that he was indeed Megatron, reborn. At least, thats what me and my best friend always thought when we were kids. It is a bit dubious, but its possible that the Autobots put 2 and 2 together with that cryptic statement. Also, the last 5 letters are the same for both MEGatron and GALVatron. The only other Transformer we saw in the animated G1 Universe with a "tron" ending in his name was Computron and Tornitron (if you count him as a transformer), IIRC.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  9. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    If anything, that phrase would imply that they are different people. You took it that way because you were aware of the truth. For anyone that did not know there was a reformation, it would just sound like the new leader was saying he was gonna do to them what the old leader did to Prime. As if to say, "Take me serious cause I'm just as dangerous as the guy that's no longer around".

10. FreshDebesh

Maybe my friend and I had the advantage of seeing the previous scene where Galvatron destroys Starscream, but the fact that the names have similar endings and that both guys have huge cannons on their arms may make me go hmmm at the very least. The very fact that he knows Megatron killed Prime yet wasn't actually at the battle may make you wonder if it was one of the Decepticons who was at the battle of Autobot City, but possibly rebuilt. Its not like weeks had passed since the battle between Prime and Megatron ended. It was literally hours after. More than likely, Galvatron was a Decepticon who was present at the battle rather than someone who benefited from chatty Decepticons on Cybertron. I could easily see Perceptor putting it together while the Autobots fleed from Earth, if no one else.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  11. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Banned

I'm with you on this. "Just as Megatron crushed Prime" almost clearly states that it was someone else completely. Chances of putting clues together like the "atrons" and the arm cannon wouldn't happen most likely in battle either. Now if he had said "Just as I once crushed Prime", then it would've been much clearer. So I would have to say eventually they found the truth, but at first sight, no, they probably didn't know it was Megatron.

12. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow... I never thought about this before...

The only line I can think of is in the TRoOP, Optimus says, "That's because I know you all too well, Galvatron." which would imply that he knows he's Megatron.

13. FreshDebesh

I don't think the Autobots knew off the bat either. Like I said, either Perceptor figured it out on the way to the planet of Junk, or it could have happened while the Decepticons attacked the Autobots on Junkion. I'm not saying it did, but there's a possibility. The truth is we won't know. Or like someone alluded to before, maybe it was Hot Rod that first figured it out when Galvatron was choking him out and said "First Prime, then Ultra Magnus, and now you..."

14. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

In that scene didn't ultra magnus then say: " then you'll die just like megatron did."

then there's the whole galvatron & hotrod figting inside unicron. where galvatron tells hotrod. : "first prime,then ultra magnus,it's a pity you autobots die so easily."

it's plainly obvious if a few autobots knew megatron was galvatron in the 1986 movie. they would'nt keep that info to themselves. they'd alert all the autobots about the info.

15. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, Ultra Magnus clearly didn't know on the planet of junk... Maybe he was too busy not dealing with it.

16. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Lol

17. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I don't think it's plainly obvious at all. That line just shows that Galvatron is aware that Prime and Ultra Magnus died (although Galvatron was unaware that Magnus had been resurrected at that point).

No Autobots during the course of the movie had any idea whatsoever that Galvatron was Megatron. If they did, it wasn't made evident in the dialogue. Any notion we may have to the contrary is simply through our own interpretations and assumptions.

Now I don't recall series 3 as well as the movie, but did Prime ever say anything in The Return of Optimus Prime that explicitly states he knows of Galvatron's origins? The line about knowing him too well is a strong hint but again leaves us to fill in the blanks.

18. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, considering he knew him "all too well" after just being resurrected is a big hint, I think.

19. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think Optimus, Alpha Trion and others in the Matix knew, no other autobots. The decepticons knew, as Astrotrain references is in FFoD part 1

20. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, I think Hot Rod knew/heard the truth when Galvatron was trying to kill him in TFTM. I'm sure Rodimus, told his buddies, Magnus, Blurr, Sh*tpiece and perhaps even Wheelie.