Galvatron (with triple-changing action)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by frenzyrumble, Jun 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Sorry, but I don't find it all that impressive. The altmode looks weird, the colors aren't that remarkable, even with the usual high quality...Not to mention that this has been done a thousand times already.

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    that's not a surprise. You seem to find your way into radicons every custom I post and throw your opinion how "unimpressed" you are.

So here you are and here's the opportunity, RA88...
    What would you have done to improve the colors?
    What would you have done to improve the alt mode?
    It's been done a "thousand times" cause the mold is a dead ringer for Galvatron.

I'm all ears.
    Instead of constantly stating why my customs fail to impress you, PLEASE give me some insight or ideas that you have which can improve them.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  3. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    nice work as always. since ive started work on a bash ive begun to look a little closer at this and that and appreciate the time that goes into it.
    upper body looks awesome, paint in particular. not feeling the webbed-looking feet. you would know how to go over that better than i would, maybe a little epoxy, then sand it down and repaint? also, that forward-facing area where the cannon fits into the chassis in tank mode looks a little rough, maybe its the angle. but yeah, its dope. i cant do it, so its hard to tell you how to fix it.
    dont take it wrong, youre still the master, just my two cents.

4. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So, once somebody has done a particular custom, nobody can revisit that character/custom again?

Guess somebody better hurry up and post the first ROTF Jetfire custom, because after that it'll be obsolete and nobody will care anymore. :crazy: 

5. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    like the Devastator WIP you posted.
    Let's face it, I see 2,3, sometimes 10 of the same custom posted here all the time. it's not a competition to see who can get it out first ;)  If everyone did each custom once, there'd be only about 15 pages of customs on this board.

6. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1, 2, 1000000..... the figure is STILL outstanding. Spectacular even.

7. Drpee

Drpee Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You spelt "cannon" wrong in your pic.

8. IF_IR_IE_IE_ID

IF_IR_IE_IE_ID USAF Seeker

Ebay:
    very nice. galvatron looks good in this paint app.

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    First of all, guys: keep the discussion/critique civil. Everyone here is allowed to state their opinions, though they must coincide with our Radicons Guidelines and Etiquette. This will be the first and final warning in this thread.

What one might call "weird" another might call "cool". Personally, I like the weirdness of the alt mode. The inclusion of the E-Scorponok treads is really nice. I'd agree on the high quality of paint work, and that's something that's very characteristic of f_r's work. However, it seems as if the commissioner is getting what they want; I don't think that this custom will be less impressive to the client in that regard. I also think that not every custom needs to reinvent the wheel each time a thread's started. As long as the customs itself is "cool" and well-done from an artistic standpoint, I tend to enjoy it :) 

In regards to a project being done multiple times . . . .

. . . [paddling up a river against this blatant sarcasm] of course not! Also in our Guidelines and Etiquette, we've detailed the "proper" way about going about this. I don't see the need to derail this thread discussing those, only to say that it's polite and respectful to acknowledge others' work whenever possible, despite whether or not one was privy to it prior to sharing. God invented Google and the Radicons Gallery and Other Resources for multiple reasons :wink: 

Guys, I'd much prefer reading threads where people aren't calling out people all of the time. Radicons is designed and structured to be a wealthy and healthy resource and community for artists of all levels and interests. We are NOT designed to promote any one artist over another. The only persons who "win" here are those who follow the rules of the board, the guidelines and etiquette, and simply go above and beyond the excellence that characterizes Radicons. Even in disagreeing, it's not whether or not one agrees or disagrees with something, but it's the method that one employs to go about doing so, generally speaking.

On a personal note, I greatly dislike single posts that are overly negative. I've always felt that one can say the same thing in a positive way. In college during critiques, we collective came up with rules for talking about others' work where if a negative was said a positive must be said as well. Trust me, that was very difficult in certain cases, but it made me think more and be considerate of others a LOT more. We all understood the kill-or-be-kill art world, and even had the training to thicken our skins for it. However, when we were discussing art in a less commercial way, this method was employed because it's a bit more laid back.

I'd like to think that Radicons has functioned greatly because of that method of critique. It's much more than a "your work is so great and I want to worship you!!!!!111" as well as being more than "this is the suckiest piece of crap I've ever seen scraped off of the bottom of my boot after stepping on this plastic lump after it was set at my computer room doorstep burning!" If I want a soap opera, I can turn on the TV; if I want a place for people to give good critiques while becoming friends, I'll go to Radicons. :thumb 

10. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Ancient and knackered

Well, I like it. :p 

Of course, the bot mode is spot on - and yeah, I really think Hasbro needs to go back and revisit that mold for an updated Uni 3.0 Galvatron. The cannon mode really evokes the spirit of G1 Galvy's (and if you could find a way to spread the treads out to the sides a tad, it'd be even better!); would have been quite neat to find a way to turn the tank mode into something like the original toy's pistol form, but hey, I'm not knocking nothin'. Wish I'd been that commissioner, but all my wedge is coming with me to Glastonbury... :D 

And just to add my tuppence-worth to the debate (if that's OK, SQ), if fan-artists followed the principle of 'it's been done a thousand times before, so I can't do it again' we'd all be stuffed. Besides, I love to see how people add their own touches to their work - it's all inspiring in one way or another! :thumb 

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Well, no one's "debating" in this thread (at least not anymore). Like I said, everyone's entitled to their opinion; it's just a manner in how one goes about sharing it. You have been very respectful in doing so; no problems here :thumb 

That being said, everyone needs to return to specifically discussing the work submitted here :thumb 

12. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Total Randomness Personified

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    To tell you guys the truth I really don't have a problem with this custom I mean their alot of different variations of this mold and still its badass no matter who makes it. If that makes the customizer happy or commissioner happy, then thats cool. We have different taste and that makes us unique.

13. IF_IR_IE_IE_ID

Ebay:
    I dont like this custom. The paint job is too good. The LED Cannon gimmik is creative. It has 3 modes. Why should I even LIKE this custom? j/k

14. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    question is F_R whens mine ready :) 

15. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Apalogies if I insulted you, but I know that you can do better then this. You may get a lot of flak with certain people, but that doesn't change the fact that you're one of the best and most inventive kitbashers/repainters around (and no, I'm not ass kissing here).

And to be honest I don't know what I would have done different paintwise, my painting skills aren't exactly as high up as yours, and you might have been restricted by the wishes of the customer if it went further then "I want a Megatron out of the E-Megatron mold". More gold would have been nice though, just to break up all the grey and purple a bit further.

As for the altmode(s): They'd look better if they were a bit wider, right now they just look odd with how narrow and tall they are. And you know how Galvatron had that odd fin on his back in robot mode? With how you have the turret right now it wouldn't have been too hard to add something like that, which then folds down for the cannon mode to give it that howitzer look, and with the tank mode it could have formed a good front. Hell, add threads to it and you could have a four threaded turbo tank of doom, not unlike RotF Megatron! No idea what you could use for it though; maybe Scorponok's tail could be a good option, since you already got his threads from there.

And use the fact that it's been done a thousand times to your advantage! Look at what did work and what didn't with the others! I'm not asking of you to steal ideas, but to improve on them, something I know you can do with ease. :) 

That last comment is not fair, though. Yes, my first comment in this thread was a bit lacking in constructive critism, but with the other threads (just leader Prime and Megatron so I hardly do it 'constantly') I noted on what things looked off to me and how you might be able to improve on them.

At least Devastator can be done in a myriad of different ways. ;)  And sorry if I come across as rude, but sometimes some of you do come across like one of you want to have the first custom out of a new figure...Might imagine it, though, I'll be honest with that.

Of course they can, but Galvatron has been done quite a bit already, and all of them are starting to look alike, something that's not really a problem with Devastator because there are so many ways that you can do that one and spice it up. Just a little bit disappointed to see such a 'routine job' from F_R, who (like I said earlier) can do far better than this. *Shrug*

16. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I like this a lot, but I think a clear orange cannon would've been better.

You plan on giving him a matrix to wear around his neck as a sort of "bonus" item?

17. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    I really like this figure, but the 2 different alt-modes don't look so great. They're good alt-modes, I just don't think he should be advertised as a triple-changer. It's like Movie Soundwave being advertised as a triple changer.

Perhaps you could've done the "gun" mode from the first Galvatron?

18. shinobi77

shinobi77 Fatbastard

Ebay:
    Well FR, you did a great job as always.
    I love how you paint your figs without having to glorp it on. Do you airbrush?

anyways, for what I would have done a bit different, is maybe make his particle cannon a bit longer more developed in the back, the way it is now seems a bit short, like its just popping out of his wrist/forearm from nowhere. I still like the color though.

Love the treads, but as was mentioned by another, seems a bit narrow, almost kinda like animated blitzwing. And I hate that mold. Nothing against you, just not a fan of tank treads on a jet. LOL
    otherwise pretty nifty.

Cannon mode, I think would work a bit better if you brought the legs back for a cannon break. Almost every cannon you ever see has some sort of leg in the back to keep it from flipping over or running away.
    I do love the fact that it is for the most part a nice continual flow from barrel to main body.

In general, I like it, the paint, the style, even the tread kibble in the bank in bot mode scream galvy. There was always a reason I called him megalvatron since I saw the proto on here.

Anyways, good job FR, and I look forward to seeing more soon!!

19. IF_IR_IE_IE_ID

Ebay:
    Hey FR what did you use for the cannon? That yellow orange plastic.

20. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    the canon is actually clear orange plastic (it's the original G1 canon)
    paints are mostly airbrushed on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.