Galvatron... was he a combination of characters?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Ceasar121, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    I always wondered about this.... First let me rant that killing of Optimus and Starscream, to me, marked the beginning of the end of G1. I continued to watch the show, but with them gone, it wasn't as much fun to me. Prime for obvious reasons, it sucked he was gone. But Starscream kept the decepticons on edge, provided comedy relief, and gave Megatron a reason to watch his back. My favorite season 3 episodes were the ones Starscream and Optimus Prime appeared in.

That said, did they try to combine Starscream and Megatron when they characterized Galvatron in the cartoon? They gave him the whiny voice, backstabbing attitude (to me it always seemed Megatron was sorta honorable, whereas Galvatron would shoot at his own troops ANYTIME) and the complete inability to be patient enough to bring any plan to fuition.

Do you think they did it because the realized that the decepticons were kinda boring without the Screamer, and tried to have some of his character live on? They realized that killing prime was a bad idea and bought him back.

2. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

I don't think Galvatron shot his own troops 'cause he was dis-honorable and backstabbing... he was just a freakin' psycho! :lol 

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Galvie was just insane I think, and Welker's voice just couldn't capture the magic that Nemoy brought to Galvatron in the movie.

4. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

In Welker's defense, I think he might have been asked to sound whiny and insane. Nemoy voiced a Galvatron that was diabolical, cold, calculating and merciless. They basically changed his personality after Galvie's lava bath and told Welker to take over.

If you guys have ever seen the Ultra Magnus/Galvatron commercial by Hasbro back in the day, you hear Magnus' show voice actor (not Robert Stack) and Welker exchanged a line or two. Something to the effect of Magnus saying "We meet again," to which Galvie replies with "and it will be the last time we meet." However, the way Welker did this line made it sound like a completely sane Galvatron. Had Galvie remained the same as the movie, I'd like to think that was how Welker would portray our favorite crazy purple cannon.

5. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

took the words out of my mouth. shoots u for doing that reaaaaghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!????!?!??!?!!:tongue: 

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    No.

Welker recorded some of the dialogue for S3 before Nimoy did Galvatron, so his personality was already set beforehand. Nimoy was nervous about doing Galvatron to sound like Welker, but was told to forget it and do it on his own.

The idea was to make Galvatron psycho wasn't based on anything other then as one of the many changes to the series. None of S3 was based on feedback from the movie until later, with the return of Optimus Prime and some of the other older characters. Heck, it's mentioned somewhere that when feedback from the movie was coming back, that Dark Awakening had already been writen and was in production.

7. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Still, the movie came out first so Galvatron is Nemoy, and that was bar to which Welker's version is measured against. Ultimately, the fault lies with whatever powers that be who took S3 into the craptacular direction that it went.

8. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Yeah, makes alot of sense. Welker's Galvatron just had the whiny voice, and his erratic actions and complete inability to lead just gave me the feelings I had. I always hated Galvatron because he could have been so badass, but always seemed to be just a bad joke. i only enjoyed him when he famously blasted Starscream in the movie (somehow, even then, I knew my favorite character would return). Then there was the whole trying to make Octane like Starscream fiasco, leading to Screamer's return... And Galvatron sending him tumbling through space, alive, though never heard from again. Good ole crazy Galvatron. How I hate you.

And I still think Megatron would frag you. :) 

9. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    "only galvatron leads the decepticons!" *smacks cyclonus*

when galvatron was created unicron gave him a invisible direct link to the immense monster planet's power systems. (ex: starscream gets vaporized.) This explains how unicron is able to disrupt galvatrons thinking by extention of that connection. When unicron is destroyed the energy shock disrupts many systems in the tyrant driveing him mad. (the lava bath certainly contributes but this shock is the main reason.)

That should clear things up.

10. adam-x

adam-x megazord activate,,

galvatron would beat the hell out of megatron imo

11. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't mind Galvatron for being crazy but IMO the whiney voice ruined him...he sounded so er, girlish! LOL!

12. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Let's see... hmm... We have the sane Galvatron from the movie and the insane Galvatron from season 3. Any guesses as to which one I prefer?

13. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i thought the commercial had peter cullen doing the magnus part in prime's voice and welker doing galvatron's bit in megatron's voice.

14. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

but by extension, shouldn't Cyclonus and Scourge have gone mad as well?

15. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I was 12 when the movie came out... old enough to realize that Leonard Nimoy provided the BEST voice for a diabolical Megatron upgrade ever! Finally a villain that was neither irritating or stupid... awesomeness!

And then Season 3 came out. Ouch. I swear, Galvatron's voice and erratic behaviour was half the reason I abandoned that show in the 80's.

Looking back now, Galvatron's absurd maniacal personality is pretty funny. But at the time, I hated the hell out of him.

zmog

16. Pembroke

Pembroke Good Skyfire. Good boy!

I just love the fact that Starscream came back as a ghost. He's some awesome you just can't get rid of him.

17. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Welker can do a range of voices. I did wonder why the show's version ended up with that particular inflection.

I think that Season 3 had many faults, but I do not think that Galvatron's insanity was one of them.
    Rather, it was an interesting dynamic that the Decepticon's leader was insane and Cyclonus was honor bound to follow him and all the other Decepticons were not powerful enough to do anything to Galvatron except follow his orders.

I loved the Webworld episode where Cyclonus was duped into trying to treat Galvatron's insanity.
    "I am Galvatron! You have no right to change what I am!"
    Great Stuff.

18. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    perhaps. but It seems they never have nearly the same level of laser power galvatron has so they probably just did'nt get the grand unicron power, and the reasoning for that is sound so that they follow galvatron loyally rather than bickering and fighting each other with disintegration beams for command.

It was all just simple strategy on unicrons part to only connect galvatron to the vast power reserve. (note that in the movie cyclonus and scourge don't get tele-headaches from unicron)

19. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Cullen and Welker do their Prime/Megatron voices to describe Ultra Magnus and Galvatron respectively, but after that, there's an animation bit with Ultra Magnus and Galvatron exchanging words. Right after Cullen finishes describing Ultra Magnus, you hear Magnus' voice actor saying "We meet at last Galvatron."

Check out the link below:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  20. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    But it would be one hell of a fight. I'd pay to watch that.

Gimmie some popcorn