Galvatron subsitiute help

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Rattrap Primal, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

I'm getting somewhat disenfranchised with Universe Galvatron, and am thinking of getting a subsitute down the line. Which Galvatron is a worthy stand in for G1 Galvatron?

My Canidates are
    -BW 2 Galvatron: a unique mold, could be portrayed as a Galvatron who isn't crazy
    -Energon Galvatron: a obvious choice, since the figure mold was a homage to Galvatron's character model
    -Henkei Galvatron: I hate the US version of the mold, is the Japanese at least bit better

Or should I wait for Hasbro or the 3rd Party People to make a better version of the character?

2. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    My recommendation would be the Takara Super-Link Galvatron General. It's an Ultra class figure, a repaint of the Ultra class Energon Megatron in Galvatron colors, meaning it will scale better than Energon's Leader class Galvatron. Unfortunately, it's also harder to find since it was a Jap exclusive.

3. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Who can afford it though?

I use Leader class Energon Galvatron, still on the pricey side and too damned big but IS Galvatron totally.

4. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Is it that expensive now? My impression on the price is that it goes for maybe around the same price as Henkei Ironhide or Ratchet, which is expensive, but not unaffordable compared to say some Botcon exclusives or Lucky Draws.

5. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Try even finding one, and yes the prices I have seen are outrageous!
    Leader class Energon Galvatron isn't cheap either anymore!
    Hasbro needs to do a repaint/resize in Voyager class or maybe a little bigger.

6. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

The Henkei doesn't change the mold any, so the toy as a whole isn't going to be any better, just look a little nicer deco-wise.

Superlink Galvatron G would be the best way to go, but as stated earlier it'd be the hardest to find and most expensive choice.

I need to get off my ass and do it already, but I've always had planned to customize a second Henkei Megatron I bought nearly 3 years ago now into Galvatron. Not quite to Rainchang levels, however.

7. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

wait.

8. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Hm good point, I saw some a couple of times on eBay last year and I think twice on Junkion, but none at the moment.

9. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  10. Irish Carnage

Irish Carnage Instrument of Destruction

News Credits:
    if you can get wfc darkside megs and swap your universe galvatron head then you'd have a good alternative.

11. Ceric Neesh

Ceric Neesh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed. If you don't mind doing the custom work, WFC Megatron works very well. Otherwise, I'd honestly wait; I wouldn't be surprised if Hasbro announced that they're going to be doing some of the Generations figures based off the IDW ongoing designs, as they're honestly starting to run out of characters that would sell even to collectors, and it'd be nice to have a NEW fresh take on a lot of the characters. They've already been doing this for the characters that are coming out of the comics, so it'd be a natural step for characters like Rodimus and Bumblebee, both of whom need an update for either fitting in (The current Rodimus figure, while not horrible, is terrible compared to post-ROTF engineering), or matching the new "unified look" (I get the feeling Bumblebee is going to be a muscle car in every continuity from here out; it'd be nice to have a figure that matches that).

12. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    There are rumors that MP12 may be Galvatron, I'd wait.

13. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You know, maybe things would go better if the wfc guys started designing all the Chug figures.

14. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Yeah, WfC Megatron (specifically the Rage of Cybertron redeco, it has translucent purple plastic) would work.

If you're going to consider BWII Galvatron then you ought to give RiD Megatron a look, too. Not perfect, by any means, but no worse than BWII Galvy.

Henkei's rubbish and Energon is... well, not the easiest to find.

15. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I prefer Energon Megatron. Since he's the right grey colour for the original G1 Galvatron toy. ;) 
    But then the normal Energon one's also huge so maybe the Deluxe-sized Energon Megatron would scale better.

16. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How much is Botcon SG Galvatron? It's very Classic looking.

17. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

Superlink Galvatron General is the one I display with my Classics/Generations collection. Every time I think it doesn't look G1-ish enough, I take out that awful Universe version and am reminded why I display the Superlink one.

Though the definitive Galvtaron toy for me is the Takara reissue. It is bittersweet to finally have the G1 mold Galvatron in purple. Having the classic transformation sound was just icing on the cake.

18. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I use the challenge at cybertron pack galvatron with the unicron/cyclonus/scourge group. I like his color scheme a lot better then the universe release.

19. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

You should consider Armada Galvatron as well.

20. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just like there were rumors that MP-10 would be Galvatron, and then rumors that MP-11 would be Galvatron. I really wouldn't hold your breath quite yet, I am pretty sure we will be getting a Magnus 2.0 and Megatron 2.0 long before Galvatron.

I wouldn't count on getting a new Galvatron of any sort for awhile. IMO just go with the Energon leader version for your classics shelf. It is a great homage to the character and has very similar design aesthetics to the original line of classics figures (Prime, BB, Megatron etc.).