Galvatron And His Insane Behavior

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Screamers, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Screamers

Screamers Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ever stop to wonder what made Galvatron so insane? The transformation of a relatively calm leader such as Megatron, one ready to lead his troops to victory.. To a Decepticon who's sanity was highly questionable.

My personal feelings.. I think after the mind link with Unicron and the warping of his mind to control it, it pushed the Decepticon leader over the edge. The calm collective leadership Megatron had once had, thrown away to rages and fits, bashing his Decepticons sometimes for no reason at all.

Sure Megatron would get angry at times and of course he'd been defeated many times.. But he always had a plan, always had something to fall back on. Galvatron.. Well, He was just insane. As mentioned in "Web World" Many of his followers feared him just for this reason.

In saying all of this, I'd love to hear your point of view.. What really made Galvatron so insane and different from Megatron? Galvatron was designed and made from Megatron's body and of course should still have the same spark. What was it that caused such a change in personality change?

[​IMG]

2. Attacker_Prime

Attacker_Prime Optimus Prime forever

Unicron probably gave him too much power, and he couldn't control it.

3. matrixprime

matrixprime AJ's Toy Chest Owner

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Didn't they explicitly state in "Web World" that he had "an embrittlement of the metaprocessor, agrivated by the plasmatic imbalance", which was a result of him landing on the planet Thrull?

4. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I always thought it was a combination of the tourture from Unicron and laying in the lava pit that caused his insanity.

5. Megatronwp38

I think you are correct on that now that you mention it.

6. ChopperByrne

ChopperByrne Well-Known Member

Could have sworn they said it was because he was stuck in that pit for too long and it caused him to go crazy.

He certainly wasn't crazy in the movie.

7. Screamers

Screamers Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    True it really happened after the movie.. I ways I think this never would have happened if Megatron would have just been repaired into his original self.

8. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    I'm not sure... but imo, Galvatron is a bit of a drama queen version of Megatron. "The Ultimate Weapon" ? Ha ! When push came to shove he lost it and had to admit it was all a bluff.

9. matrixprime

matrixprime AJ's Toy Chest Owner

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I happen to have the day off and was watching Season 3 at the time. The exact diagnosis was, "Severe failure in reality processing; a malignant plasma-neural tick." The Torqulons even specifically ask Cyclonus if there was some sort of plasma accident. Galvatron was susceptible to mood swings, irrational behavior, and standard logic failure aggravated by the plasmatic-imbalance.

While it may make for good fan fiction, I doubt the g1 writers would have went to that much thought to link Galvatron's psychosis with the destruction of Unicron.

10. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    This.

I think stewing in a sea of molten lava would screw with almost anybody.

11. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, there did seem to be a lot of plasma when Unicron exploded, but by that point Galvatron had already been thrown clear, right?

I don't particularly care if its not the "accepted" story, but I always liked the idea that Galvatron was 20 gallons of power in a 10 gallon hat, and that the only thing keeping his cybertronian body, pushed far beyond its limits, from breaking down was constant contact and management by Unicron. When that link was violently severed, combined with some time for the condition to fester as he flew through space, and then his body colliding with a rather unpleasant lake of magma, led to significant damage wherein his body could be repaired, but his mind remained broken.

12. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IMO it had something to do with Unicron having a mind control over him when he blew up.
    It must of fried some circuits in his brain. He was nornal and even tried to team up with Hot Rod before Unicron punished him and changed his mind.

I love Glavatron!

13. Megatronwp38

Well, I didn't mean the destruction of Unicron but all the tourture he inflicted on him in the movie may have helped mess with his mind.

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I'd go with this myself.
    Certainly Megatron spent a bit of time in lava after the end of Heavy Metal War and he seemed fine after that. I'm sure Galvatron being more powerful and impervious wouldn't be as bothered by a bit of hot rock anyway. So the real reason for his insanity probably lies with his link to Unicron being severed, because even the comic Unicron went a bit wonkey after a while (although he did also spend time in lava too when buried in a volcanic eruption with Ultra Magnus).
    Were Scourge and Cyclonus ever punished by Unicron in the animation in the same way Galvatron was? I really can't remember. If not then it's possible only Galvatron was linked to Unicron like this since he was the leader of the rebuilt Decepticons and it was him making the orders Unicron decided needed punishment for. Although it could be that Cyclonus and Scourge could also be punished but since they never were (if it turns out they weren't of course) then their link to Unicron hadn't been enforced enough to cause damage when Unicron blew up. That said, it's shown in the comics all three being punishd by Unicron so make of it what you will. Maybe the number of punishments strengthened the link so the fedback was worse when Unicron blew up. Or because Unicron was concentrating on Galavatron at the time and Cyclonus and Scourge were elsewhere being good minions.

Or something like that. Lots of options.

15. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

The stated reason is the plasma immersion between the movie and FFoD. I like to think Megatron's personality trying to reassert itself was also partly to blame, but that's just my personal fanon.

By the way, "The calm collective leadership Megatron had once had"? Hmm. I'm not sure Starscream in Hoist Goes Hollywood would agree with that. :tongue: 

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    That could apply too. Maybe Unicron had been supressing Megatron in Galvatron and after he blew up both minds were trying to make sense of it all, which resulted in insanity. Sorta like the Straxus/Megatron thing in the comics.
    Maybe the Decepticons who became Cyclonus and Scourge were already dead when they were rebuilt, which might be why they didn't go nuts as they didn't have a previous personality fighting for domination of the body. Or their old personalities were too weak-willed and accepted things after the conversion whereas Megatron's didn't.

17. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Pretty much what I was thinking. Unicron needed Megatron's leadership skills, so had to leave some of Megatron in Galvatron. Kinda like Robocop, really. Cyclonus and Scourge didn't need anything from Skywarp and Thundercracker, so they were totally new creations.

18. DarkDranzer

DarkDranzer Well-Known Member

Agree with the plasma not doing wonders with his noggin'...think about it plasma's pretty much a superheated form of matter (and the unofficial "4th" member of the solid, liquid, gas stages), I think it's what stars are made out of. Temperatures at that unbearable level, robot or not would drive anyone bonkers.

Yeah I do, I've settled that he may have both bi-polar disorder and (paranoid) schizophrenia, although he does display sociopathic tendencies

19. ghowildseven

ghowildseven SG Decepticon

The lava did that to him I'm sure. The question is why didn't he pull himself out of that.

20. DarkDranzer

DarkDranzer Well-Known Member

I guess he was paralysed or rendered unconscious/offline some how, or maybe suspended animation while he recuperated.