Minor/Repaint: Galaxy Shuttle WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by cefuroxx, Jun 23, 2008.

1. cefuroxx

cefuroxx Well-Known Member

The black parts you see (except for the wings) were a hideous yellow, I tried dying them but ended up with a dirty golden/brown scheme, even after multiple attempts so I ended up just taking a sharpie to them. I plan on making a cast of alt swindles head and shaving it a bit to mathc as closely as I can to the original. Anyone know why my dye didn't turn out right?

Attached Files:

2. kalron

kalron Technician/Sculptor

Dying is tricky. Unless you are using a base color of white the outcome will very depending on what the base color is. This happens with some acrylic paints too.

By the way, what is the base model figure anyway?

3. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I'm guessing it was a KO Galaxy Shuttle. I haven't seen them in the flesh, but I have seen pics advertised on the backs of Dreadwind and Darkwing KOs.

Dyeing is tricky. Odds are it would have eventually taken - and base colours tend not to have a particular impact when it's black dye you're using as all colours darken to black anyway. But the kinds of plastic used for KOs tend to be harder and more brittle, so it'd probably take a lot longer for the dye to really show up, just as it takes longer to dye things like transparent plastic, or the harder stuff used used for balljoints.

4. cefuroxx

i used boiling water, dumped into a plastic bucket, let sit for a few hours. I then reheated and let it sit overnight, and it just turned this garish brown, how many attempts should I have done? The thrusters were originally a golden chrome and they took the black dye in a matter of minutes and still retain a shine, which is cool. The base figure is this: http://toyhell.com/galaxyshuttle.html

I'll try to find better pics of it, it's actually a bootleg of a brave figure which was remolded from galaxy shuttle

EDIT: Looked like this before:
    http://www.geocities.jp/sakio_inpm/sakio/yuusya/ThunderDagwon.html

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    your method seems quite unorthodox. may I suggest you read our tutorial? nothing is gained letting it sit over night, as once its cooled, it stops dying.

6. cefuroxx

i didn't have a pot i could maim with dye so i used a 5 gallon bucket to rest the parts in, this also avoided the problem of warpage from touching the sides. I've read the tutorial but the link to insane galvatron's "knowledge bomb" doesn't work....

7. REDLINE

News Credits:
    just read my part of it. I don't have warping problems at all. and you can get super cheap pot from walmart or a dollar store or biglots

8. cefuroxx

I checked your section but I was nervous about using acetone because it can eat plastic and bc I don't know what a good mix ratio would be (I used 64 ounces of water) so I just didn't use it, any help?

9. REDLINE

News Credits:
    2-4 capfuls.. I just use a 2 quart pot so its the same size.

10. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    whoa didu get tht little poliice guy tht fits on to his back that would look sick painted as Holi from victory plus would add something truly original to figure

11. cefuroxx

it came with a little motorcycle guy if that is what you are asking

12. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits: