Galatica's (current series) Star Vipers.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DaggersRage, Mar 27, 2007.

1. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Hey oh! Whats been kinda nagging at me about the Galatica's colonial vipers is what are the differents between the old Mark 2 Vipers and the newer Mark 7 Vipers.

From what Ive gotten (and please correct me if Im wrong) is that the Mark 7 is faster than the Mark 2 and mounts 4 guns instead of two.

The Mark 2 however can be handled better than a Mark 2, and dont natually feature network connections in fear of Cylon electronic warfare.

2. Skor

Skor I HATE U TRASH MONSTAAAR! TFW2005 Supporter

The Colonial Viper has undergone many changes since the original MkI Viper.

The MKI Viper was armed with:

- 2 x forward-firing Thorsen 30mm mass accelerator cannons mounted in the wing roots, each with an 800 round ammunition capacity and a 20 round-per-second fire rate
    - 1 x forward-firing Lightning Javelin missile launcher in the belly, with an eight-round ammunition capacity

The Mark I Viper was flown manually, with a basic lock on targetting system and after burner function, often referred to as 'Boost'. Whilst the craft was agile in combat, it lacked straight line speed, often requiring the 'Boost' to evade fire.

The Mark II Viper is essentially a Mark I, with slightly upgraded engines, removing the need for the often dangerous 'boost' function.

By the time of the attack on the colonies, the Viper had evolved to a Mark VII.

The Mark VII is armed with 3 x forward-firing "Kinetic energy weapons", 2 mounted towards the outboard sections of the wings, 1 mounted on the top "fin". Whilst this may seem almost a downgrade compared to earlier models, the added fly by wire functions, auto targetting and superior speed of the Mark VII allow it to be a far deadlier space craft in the hands of a normal pilot.

The electronic on board systems of the Mark VII are now completely locked down and isolated, effectively solving the issue raised by the very first Cylon attack.

Whilst the Mark VII Viper allows the Colonial pilots greater control, speed and agility, the retrofitted Mark II (and subsiquent Mark III - A near identicle Viper, with added elctronics systems) is still a deadly foe. Certain 'ace' pilots are said to even prefer the older model it's 'hand's on' feel allows a great sense of direct control.

...erm... don't ask why i know that...

3. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Yeah, like Skor said, I kinda figured the Mark 7 vipers had been downgraded to feature analog electronics instead of computer circuitry.

The real differences between the Mark 1 and the Mark 2 look like they're stylistic...plus what Skor said.

I...I just realized that I got nothin'.

4. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Thanks, and dont be shameful that you know that stuff

I could say the same so much of that stuff for BattleTech Mechs and Star Wars snub fighters :) 

5. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Old school, every time, yo.