Galactica Delayed, Atlantis Renewed, Caprica Quiet

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Boardwise, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Those of you waiting with baited breath for the next season of the revamped Battlestar Galactica (myself included) will have to hold out a bit longer as reports are coming in that the start of the season (which was believed to be in January 2008) has been pushed back to April, there's also a rumour that the final 10 episodes of the season will be delayed till 2009.
    Razor, dealing with the early days of Battlestar Pegasus is still due to be shown in November.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2007/10/battlestar-gala.html

In other news, Stargate Atlantis has been renewed for a fifth series (20 episodes)
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117974591.html?categoryid=1417&cs=1&p=0

And the fate of the BSG prequal show, Caprica is still up in the air:
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/34544

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I honestly don't understand how Stargate is a better show than BSG. While a good show, SG is just average (and people have watched ten seasons of it already), while BSG is pretty damn amazing. Keep in mind that I've only seen the third season so thats saying alot.

3. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Gah. They push BSG back far enough, and my grandkids will be enjoying first run showings.

4. Doctor Ingenious

Doctor Ingenious Doctorate in Ingeniology

Frack.

5. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

... :( 

6. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Damn, now have to wait longer for happy time with number 6! Good thing starbuck can be seen in another show.

7. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Was the last season of BSG released on DVD yet? When they switched nights it screwed me up and I ended up missing most of it.

8. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

...dude, we got it in Europe. I should bloody hope it's out in the States XD

9. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I stopped watching BSG quite some time ago. It was an angst fest, that was depressing to watch.

Stargate is much more entertaining. It doesn't forget to have a little fun, everynow and then.

10. Depthcharge

Depthcharge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Battlestar = Character drama

Stargate = Rollercoaster

I love them both and I totally agree with that statement about Battlestar being pushed back so much. Its a great show but dragging it out like this is just too much. And yeah, everyone look forward to the mid-season break lasting a year because it's happened before and it'll happen again.

11. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Yes, Galactica can get all angstfesty but then they'll pull out their balls and have Adama jump inside the atmosphere and launch all vipers while falling and BURNING, and it's stuff like that I stick around for.

Plus y'know the characterization.

12. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You're talking about Stargate SG1 which was cancelled in it's tenth season, but will be ending in a series of 3 movies I believe.

Stargate Atlantis is a spin-off that started a couple years back, but has really grown into it's own show I think. Atlantis seems to have the same appeal that SG1 had until about season 8 when they started to drift too far from the original story of the show and it just ended up being a regular old sci-fi. The characters were still good, but the series seemed to have little to do with the orginal seasons.

Atlantis, however, started off as having a unique story line, and as far as I've seen it has stuck with that story line. It's still the same main enemy that they have been fighting throughout the last few seasons(though there are other groups that they confront on occasion).

In many ways Atlantis is it's own show, with little if anything to do with SG1, much in the way that Star trek: The next generation had almost nothing to do with Deep space 9, either in the story lines or what parts of the show were emphasized (ie the scientific aspects vs the diplomatic aspects, etc)

13. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Galactica is one of the few dramas IMO that pulls off angst without having to be about crime scenes, missing persons, or something related to crime.

I'm not trying to sound like an asshole here, but it may come out like it anyways...but I knew someone was going to literally explain the difference between the two shows as if I was talking about SG1 and Atlantis being the same show lol.

That being said I stand by my statement about Atlantis just being the same old thing. Just like ST became the same thing after DS9, Altantis just seems like became the same old thing esp considering how long SG1 lasted. I like Atlantis don't get me wrong (I watch every Friday), but BSG is by far a better show and it is a real shame its ending in the fourth season.

14. Doctor Ingenious

Doctor Ingenious Doctorate in Ingeniology

I believe the states just received it this week. Yes, it appears you got it first.

15. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

As far as I've seen we don't even have a confirmed dvd date. Although we did get the soundtrack this week. Anyone been watching the Razor Flashback clips about the young Adama?

16. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great about Atlantis. The only Sci-FI Channel show I look forward to.

New Galactica had potential but then they just turned it into a soap with all the human cylon stories and agnsty people in it. Seems everyone is just pissed at each other half the time. It is pretty good when the get into battles, but those are few and far between. The old Galactica might have used stock footage for space battles but at least almost every episode had a space battle. I'll take Old Galactica over New Galactica any day. I'll still watch the new eps.

17. Robimus

Robimus Wanna'be Cassettebot

News Credits:

No its not out in North America for some stupid reason, I can't even find a confirmed release date for season 3 on DVD. I saw the European release dates a while back but for some reason we still have nothing.

I think BSG has lost a lot of momentum at this point, to keep pushing this back is just dumb. Have they even finished filming? I dont think so. Richard Hatch is in Winnipeg at a convention this week, maybe I'll just ask him how far along they are.......................

EDIT: Bestbuy.ca still has nothing, not even a pre-order.

18. Darth Fitch

Darth Fitch Herald of Golobulus

I just read tonight that BSG is heading into it's final season. That sucks. I love that show. Stargate just... sucks. IMO.

19. gnodprime1

gnodprime1 Made of sterner stuff

Ebay:
    Why wait for the DVD? I downloaded season 3 as it happened (thank you iTunes). Rumor has it that they won't have season 4 on iTunes. That would really honk me off since I don't have cable.

20. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As others have said, it's not out yet, and might not be out till next year.
    Which sucks since us in the UK have it.
    Though Razor is down for a DVD release on 04 December same day as the HD-DVD version of season 1.

And you took a fracking ling time to finish it.
    It was painful for me not to say anything.

As for Atlantis, I like it.
    It's really coming into it's own last season and this.