gaiman's sandman no. 1 best seller on ipad

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by KA, Oct 15, 2010.

1. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    combined with some sentiments from the thread about marvel running our of ideas, just using this short article as a jumpoff point for discussion:

Quote of the day | Neil Gaiman on digital comics and the iPad | Robot 6 @ Comic Book Resources – Covering Comic Book News and Entertainment

what are your guys feeling on comics going (all) digital?

i'm personally an advocate on whatever new tech comes as a means of pushing medium n distribution (having an ipad ive almost stopped drawing on paper) but theres something about comics in print that i sorta cling to the whole printed ideal, something about ownership of art, even if its in reprint form? i dunno. maybe its the collecting bug where you just compulsively like to amass crap?

so basically what i'm saying is, personally i'm all for technology but theres some aspect of me that holds to the more traditional, even when its counter intuitive to my core belief/principle/what-have-you.

whaddaya guys think?

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Let's just say that if not for the digital medium, I wouldn't have been able to amass most of my present comics collection. :confused2 

3. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Getting a diverse range of high quality comics in front of as many people as possible is what the US publishers need to be about if they want a long term future. Digital is the biggest (and possibly last) major oppertunity for them to do that and they need to get on it ASAP.

They'll always be a market for paper copies of some stuff, but I don't see why much of the monthly grind can't go all digital for books that have no long term sales value once hardware costs come down. Allot of people will whine and some will quit, but that part of the industry will be dead anyway soon if publishers keep relying entirely on that customer base. With the recent advances in affordable POD servies, that could be a more viable option further down the line to appease refusers willing to pay a premium for paper then conventional print runs.

Obviously the rest of the world's major comic markets need to get onto digital as well before the pirates eat thier lunch, but they arn't in a position where a lack of imminent action on content and business problems could be fatal to thier biggest publishers.

Personally, the biggest barrier for me is the size of the devices. Current slates are fine for single pages of standard American and Japanese comics, but not for spreads and i'd rather not live with them for the bigger page formats used in this part of the world as it gets my goat enougth as it is when stuff suffers from getting resized in print. Obviously A3 slates are a completely ludicrous idea and comics layouts will change as digital devices become more prevalant, so I could probably settle for a middle ground of buying digital where its works and paper where it doesent.

4. Cybermnky

Cybermnky Well-Known Member

I have all four volumes of Absolute Sandman... that's enough mass to crush a mans skull (maybe, I really have no idea)... just gonna throwthat out there.