Minor/Repaint: G2P-005 Chromehead (available on Shapeways)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by XSilverboltX, Jan 9, 2012.

1. XSilverboltX

XSilverboltX Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Just a quick update to let you all know that the revised Tech Spec Meter part has had a succesfull printing and is on its way to it's purchaser (I think it was shadezero).

2. shadeozero

shadeozero Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yea i believe it is me ill let you know how it runs out when it arrives and ill do a post for my finshed custom

3. shadeozero

Ebay:
    Hey everyone I got the tech spec today it is...................Awsome!!! my only gripe is that when moving it it will pop out sometimes but you can fix it easily by closing the top of it with some putty,apoxie so the peg cant come out. if the pegs do break then just seal both pieces and like all transformer toys just stick a pin/ or wire in to keep them together. Now as for the head am gonna do everything i Can so that the piece can use the balljoint and that both halves stay togther. If I cant then I have a soloution that I think will be better as it will make it feel more like a headmaster :D  will post the WiP later when i have time,in the forum stay tuned. Btw my tec spec I ordered it in black as it wouldnt let me order in white and it is really good,smooth,strong, and detailed.

4. zodconvoy

zodconvoy Well-Known Member

It's probably mine. My order started printing on the 27th and I ordered the head and chest pieces along with a few odds and ends from other people. Now I have to find my spare Red Alert...

Still, I'll have my set painted up within hours of receiving it so yes there will be pics!

5. XSilverboltX

Ebay:
    Can't wait to see 'em! I'm almost done removing the paint from my Red Alert so I'm shoping for dies this afternoon!

6. XSilverboltX

Ebay:
    Update on mine: I had to trash my red alert body.

I blame lack of sleep here but I somehow confused the 3-5 seconds immersion time for dying with 3-5minutes.

I warped him all to hell.

So... anybody got a spare Red Alert or Sideswipe?

7. zodconvoy

That BLOWS. I've got spare Perceptors, Kups, Thunderwings, and a small mountain of Wreck-Gars, but only one extra Red Alert for this project. Still, finish the head and show us! Mine is still a week away.

8. XSilverboltX

Ebay:
    Thanks to my wife, who took pity on me, I got an early Valentine's Day present: A new Red Alert!

Turns out they still had three at this crappy little Zellers (apparently to become a Target soon) where she works. So I'll order the RIT dyes and work on the head in the mean time.

So, back on the project! I'm gonna have to get something to hold all the tiny parts of the head since I want to spray paint it and I don't want to blow the parts all over. Gotta find some styrofoam and some toothpicks if I recall my old model building days correctly.

9. zodconvoy

Just be careful with the styrofoam or you'll be fishing the parts out of soup!

10. XSilverboltX

Ebay:
    I was planning to use the styrofoam as a base which I'll tape to my work table, and stick the parts on toothpicks which will be planted in the styrofoam. How do I make soup from that? :D 

11. shadeozero

Ebay:
    Hey how di you guys remove the paint and what parts did you remove, the decals / logos?

12. zodconvoy

Depends on if what your spraying gets on the styrofoam. Like 10 years ago, my friend and I spend two weeks carving a attaching bones to a Hulk figure he was customizing into Doomsday and when he sprayed it with the primer they all turned into slurpy instantly. It sucked then but in retrospect, it was hilarious! I still rib him about that!

13. XSilverboltX

Ebay:
    AH. No actual soup, then. Darn. :)  No worries, the base will be thoroughly (read: obsessively) duct-taped to my work bench. I doubt anything will touch the styrofoam.

Let's see... I dissassembled the lower leg and removed the red joint that holds the foot, I took appart the thigh (carefully as an assembly defect seems common on this toy and the screws can snap the transparent plastic that is painted red on the thighs). I popped off the rear car panels (knee armor), I dissassembled the chest and removed the roof in order to get the lightbar off (you have to take the swivelling head gimmick appart completely in order to do that). I also removed the two white plastic tabs from under the car's nose in order to remove the front grill flap and the two wheel assemblies. Also, I popped the car doors off the arms (they're pretty tight but there's a side that gives you proper leverage to pop them out without damaging the toy).

Then, all the white parts and the two grey thigh parts that have red paint, and the clear plastic that is painted over (canopy and thigh deco) all went in a plastic container that I filled with rubbing alcohol (70%). Let it soak 48 hours, then take a cotton ball or a soft rag to the plastic and... pretty much wipe the paint off. Some of the red and black will need some scrubbing with a soft cloth or a Q-tip, and I used my fingernails to get into the creases I couldn't reach (and on some of the more stubborn leftover red stains). Careful of the wheels that are on the leg parts if you don't want to remove the hubcap paint app (you could also use a soldering iron to remove the rivet that's holding it in, but I don't really think that's necessary, just don't rub the silver paint on the wheel and it'll be fine).

Don't pour the alcohol away since some parts might need to soak again to remove some more paint after you get rid of the first layer. Some of the while plastic will have soaked the colour in itself, though. Not much you can do there.

I'm looking into making a set of decals or stickers to add to the basic deco (and the Tech Spec meter). I'll post updates here as soon as something takes shape.

Also, as a side note, the Brainiac prototype is coming in on my end. I should have it Friday :)  Can't wait!

14. zodconvoy

So I got mine today and painted it up and of course my girlfriend took the camera with her to Atlantic City for her birthday! I still haven't assembled it yet but so far, so good. I'll take pics as soon as I get the camera back tomorrow. Now to find that extra Red Alert...

15. XSilverboltX

Ebay:
    There's still one at that Zellers I mentionned if you can't find one locally.

16. Hellscream85

Hellscream85 Well-Known Member

Hey, I got mine a few days back, I'm gonna have xaviercal work on mine, but it's gonna be a bit because right now he's working on a custom Cy-Kill for me, hope for pics soon, would love to see someone's finished product :) 

17. zodconvoy

Still no pics but it came out pretty good. The face for Chromedome is really sweet and the Stylor is an awesome little man but the knee balls are too big for the holes and they grind as you move them around making a little powder. The details on the Chromedome face really pop when painted. I got the chest piece too but I didn't get it to be a techspec reader so I didn't completely do the inside.

18. XSilverboltX

Ebay:
    OK, I see what you mean about the balljoint being too big. I hadn't noticed that but mine does it as well. I'll revise the Brainiac frame to have thicker legs around the ball joint, that should help.

Glad to hear the details pop out so well. You had it made in WSFP?

19. zodconvoy

Yup, SWFP was what I ordered but its got a grainy texture to it and something else I ordered was SWF so I'm assuming it all was made like that. So for the head mode, you rotate the knees 180 right? I'm having alignment issues that I'm chalking up to the ball joints being how they are.

20. Hellscream85

Hellscream85 Well-Known Member

Any new updates on this guys? I'm really excited to see someone's finished head, if not the whole body, so post pics soon please!