G2 Strafe's allegiance

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by unicronsupreme, Apr 13, 2008.

1. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme supremest of unicrons

News Credits:
    I found my g2 strafe the other day, and he is really awesome. I was looking up his bio on TFU and it said that he was an Autobot, which I thought was strange, but I went along with it. Today I noticed that my Strafe has Decepticon stickers on the underside of his tail fins. They're not from another figure or anything, they match his color and the shape. So is he and Autobot or a Decepticon? and if he really is an Autobot, why does mine have Decepticon stickers?
    I can provide pics if necessary.

2. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Cyberjet

You have the Japanese version, then... maybe?

3. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    Pretty sure that I don't. I can't imagine why my parents would have bought me a japanese strafe when all of my other toys (except for one import that I asked for) are homegrown hasbro editions.

4. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Well, then I'd seriously suggest posting pictures, because unless you're mistaken about them being stickers from another TF, I can't find anything even close to what you're talking about.

EDIT: See, actually owning the thing would have helped when I was looking. Yeah, Strafe does have G2 Decepticon symbols under his tailfins. I guess it was an error or holdover from his Decepticon mold-mate, explained away in Japanese G2 continuity as part of the character background.

5. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I'm not quite sure why you'd have them any more than Japanese versions, but in the UK, the Cyberjet redecos weren't the Autobots that you got in the States. Our versions were simply recoloured versions of Hooligan, Space Case and Skyjack, same bios and all...

6. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    I just talked to my mother, who verifies that this figure came from an American retailer. Also, here are pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

Strafe was an Autobot in G1, and he's an Autobot in G2. He may be undercover, however- given how stupid the Decepticons are in the fiction, why wouldn't they fall for an Autobot wearing Decepticon insignias?

Pretty sure that I don't. I can't imagine why my parents would have bought me a japanese strafe when all of my other toys (except for one import that I asked for) are homegrown hasbro editions.

Homegrown? Hasbro doesn't make any Transformers in America. You have a Hasbro Strafe, but don't think Hasbro's toys are any less imported than Takara's.

8. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    I meant that he came from an american store and was in american packaging. I'm also pretty sure that hasbro only imports the molds from takara. Takara is not going to stamp a hasbro copyright on their figures. Hasbro gets the molds and paint specifications from Takara and them prints their own figures. It would be ridiculous to pay for shipping fees to import every transformer that hasbro ever sold. They are made here, and I have one of the ones that was.

9. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Actually the molds are shared so the stamps ought to be shared, I'll pull out my Galaxy Convoy or Backguild later and see what their stamps say.

It's always possible that the one you got was an imported Euro release, I know some shops over here occasionally got stock from the US or other areas as a liquidation thing. Very rare, but it's possible that's what you got there. It's also possible a Euro release Strafe got packed into a US release card by mistake. I'll find my Euro Strafe and see if he has the stickers.

10. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    I'd very much appreciate that. Too bad the figure is in not that great of shape, this sounds like it might be kind of rare.

11. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Any picture I've found online of G2 Strafe has those Decepticon symbols. Seibertron's gallery has them. You can barely see that the one on TFU.info has them. It's at least half-retarded if not fully, but apparently, that's how it goes with G2 Strafe. Might have just been a very common print error.

I can confirm with some of my own Japanese toys that copyright stamps are shared by both Hasbro and Takara, and we already know that molds are shared, although production runs are surely separate whenever there's differences in color or paint apps.

12. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    ah thanks! A decepticon he shall remain!

13. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I'm guessing that, since we got them released as Decepticons (simple redecoes of the original characters), and Japan did too, then maybe it was kind of a last-minute decision for Hasbro US to release them as Autobots (to boost the numbers, perhaps), and while they sorted the card art to suit, they forgot to change the stickers.