G2 Sludge and Swoop

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by CZ Hazard, Oct 26, 2009.

1. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Obviously these toys were never released, but according to TF Wiki there are box artwork samples showing what the characters were going to look like in an unreleased second wave of G2 Dinobots.
    What I want to know, is are these artwork mock-ups legit, or are they fan made? Apparently they came from the collection of an ex-Hasbro employee and surfaced on eBay, apparently.
    TFW2005 - The 2005 BoardsTFW2005 - The 2005 Boards
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=27123350&stc=1&d=1256606049
    To me, these don't look genuine. If you look at the difference between G1 and G2 Dinobots, the only changes are to the gray plastic. All the red metal hip joints are the same, all the chrome remains unchanged and all the black sections remain the same colour including the heads. Yet on these mock ups almost everything is changed, especially on Swoop. This to me doesn't fit in with the aesthetic of the G2 Dinobot range (if there was one in the first place!).
    The only thing that makes me think maybe these are genuine, is the inclusion of a horrible repaint of Grimlock. A fan making mock-ups wouldn't need to do another repaint of Grimmy to complete the set, but it does sound like the kind of thing Hasbro would do to pad a case.

The reason I ask is my G2 Dinobots look incomplete, and I would like to custom these two, if these turn out to be genuine I will attempt to paint them in these colours, but if these are fakes, I'd rather paint them in colours more in keeping with the G2 range.

So what do people think, genuine or fan mock-ups trying to score some cash on eBay?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  2. Grimlockprime16

Grimlockprime16 Me Grimlock King!

i dont think there real there alful

3. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

there said to be real, and aparently its proven, as for color, it G2 where in that line did you see a good color, I mean dang, Ramjet is purple and seagreen, yuck.

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    They're real. If I remember correctly the seller is known for selling a lot of Hasbro prototype/development/concept material.

5. Grimlockprime16

Grimlockprime16 Me Grimlock King!

yeah i guess i gotta give ya that 1. they probly are real than now that i think about it most of g2 was ulgy as hell lol

6. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I have absolutely no idea if they are real, but it wouldn't surprise me. They look like they would go nicely with the other G2 Dinobots and other G2 figures. That Grimlock, while odd, actually looks pretty cool. Would make for an interesting repaint of both Classics Grimlock and Animated Grimlock.

7. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Saw those a long time ago. Legit. But gross! Well Swoop is. I'd buy that Sludge :) 

8. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

i loved the G2 dinobots as a kid because they came out way before me and at least it was a chance to have a character that i could recognize from the show! the colors were definitely weird though, i like the sludge in those pics, would have been cool to own

9. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Was the seller senuseret72 (now known as thethingsifind on eBay)?

If so, he's completely legit. For over a year he was pulling out Star Wars, GI Joe and Transformers prototypes including among many other things G2 Stunticons, which IMO, coincide with those G2 Dinobots pics. I myself walked away with some TM prototypes figures and in-house transparencies of G1 figures.

10. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Those have been around for many years and as others have mentioned, came from reputable sources.

Personally, I've never doubted their authenticity.

11. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Alright thanks guys, seems they are legit. Time for me to ruin some G1 Dinobots!

12. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yup.. these are real.. I meet one of the designer from Takara that was around when they were proposed...!