G2 Manga "The Earth is in Danger!" translated

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by DrSpengler, Jan 14, 2007.

1. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

http://www.tfarchive.com/comics/japanese/g2manga.php

36 pages. Most of them crap. But hey, this was the one manga people wanted me to translate the MOST, so here you go.

And to all Hooligan fans, I'm sorry. :( 

Some notes:

*In regards to Junpei's dialogue, there was a method to my madness. I SWEAR. Every other word out of that fucker's mouth was "SUGEEEEIIIII!!!!" Basically, he couldn't go five seconds without saying "AWESOME!" or "COOL!" So, instead of saying those two words over and over and over again, I decided to have a little fun with him.

*Despite what I had always thought, this manga DOES NOT take place within the Japanese G2 continuity featured in the story pages and minicomics and Hidetsugu Yoshioka (which are an extension of the cartoon timeline). This manga takes place in the year 1990-something, where as the G2 story pages took place in the distant future (or our present, whatever).

*No. I don't know wtf the "Forest Night" was. They didn't say. It's just some kind of "super energy source" with no further elaboration. It's possible it could be romanized as "Forest Knight", but I dunno. I just chose one and stuck with it.

So there you go. Try to enjoy.

2. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    Interesting read, did you translate Cybertrons and Destrons as Autobots and Decepticons?

3. DrSpengler

I used the English names for all the characters. For example, in Japan, Jolt is called "Hotrow" and Electro is called "Effectro".

I've decided t start using the English names in all my translations now instead of the Japanese ones because I don't think it does any real harm.

4. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    You really should consider reverting that decision, it is a Japanese manga after all.

5. DrSpengler

Metrodome's Headmasters-Victory sets are kinda what spurred me to switch. They used the English versions of the character's names and made it work just fine, and that's sorta what I want to emulate.

Unfortunately, I can't control if a story is *awful* (like this manga).

6. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    Ahhh, so you want to emulate inferior DVD translations? Got ya.

Oh well, good luck on the translations. I'll just read something else though.

7. DrSpengler

No need to get like that, dude.

Anyway, I didn't find them inferior at all (save for a few timing errors). I thought they flowed just fine.

I don't see how calling Convoy "Optimus Prime" is so inaccurate that it ruins the entire manga, especially considering that these are the English versions of the manga, geared towards an English-speaking audience.

8. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    A translation should not be changed just to fit a personal opinion. His name is Convoy and it should be translated as Convoy.

9. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

Death to otaku.

Etc.

I'd be more worried about the story being a steaming pile, and it never bothering to explain what the energy source du jour being fought over was...

10. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    Way to be a troll there, Denver.

11. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Hey, it's a commendable effort. I wouldn't have been able to put up with it past the whole "trucks in space" thing.

Electro's "My body... dissolving..." thing, was that actually in there? Because man, awesome nod to Gold Plastic Syndrome.

12. DrSpengler

His name is "Convoy" to a Japanese-speaking audience, but "Optimus Prime" to an English-speaking audience. Do you think when the Dreamwave comic was translated into Japanese (which it was) that they called the character "Optimus Prime"? No. They didn't. They adjusted the translation to suite the audience.

Just as I did. I don't find it makes my translations anymore "inferior" using the Western names for an English translation. The story remains intact and the characters are identified by their more recognizable names.

Now, If it is a character wholely seperate from their Western counterpart (Powermaster Prime/Super Ginrai) then I'll make adjustments accordingly.

However, to English-speakers, the character is "Optimus Prime", not "Convoy", and that is my audience.

13. Raz

Raz Flamethrower TFW2005 Supporter

Well, the story stinks, but I do appreciate at least being able to read it. Thanks for doing it Spengs.

14. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    You're still changing a character's real name. That's just as bad as changing the location from Japan to the US so that it will be more "recognizable".

15. DrSpengler

Thanks. :) 

Most of the manga stories are "bad", but in a cute and "LOL @ how bad it is" sort of way. This one was just BAD, though.

I'e already translated the Headmasters story featuring Artfire and Ricochet, which isn't a fantastic piece of literature, but it's slightly better than this G2 thing. It should be up some time soon.

Except that's not even similar.

Here's a better one:

Calling "Nihon" "Japan" in an English translation is appropriate because that's the name English speakers recognize.

Calling "Convoy" "Optimus Prime" in an English translation is appropriate because that's the name English speakers recognize.

16. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

I was thinking much the same thing.

Publishers (eg, Asterix, Tintin, to pick a couple of larger ones) very rarely issue non-idiomatic translations, because they're being produced for a different audience. Few enough people know the G2 releases, let alone keep references handy to remind them which mould is which in a monochrome comic strip.

Still, at least no-one's started making cases for phonetic anglicizations overruling the Takara ones.

17. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Dear Doctor Spengler in the future could you have any stories featuring Blaster and Blurr changed to "Billy and Wally" because I grew up in England and that was their names there so I want it to be accurate to the country of origin thanks in advance

18. DrSpengler

Only if I can call Metroplex "Phillip", too.

But, on the off-chance your post was written in ernst...

In England the characters of Blaster and Blurr were still called "Blaster" and "Blurr" in all their comic book and merchandise incarnations. Only a poorly done cartoon translation done by a bunch of hacks in Malaysia called them that, and even then, in Malaysia, all merchandise featuring the characters did not bear the names "Billy and Wally".

Perhaps if I was aiming my translations at a bunch od Malaysians secluded on an island that received Star TV but never any toys or comics, then sure. I'll use those names.

But it ain't gonna happen.

19. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    Thanks for the translation, Spengs. To be honest, I never knew this manga existed so also thanks for letting some ignorant people (like me) know about it.

20. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the translation, and I for one appereciate you using the American names.